PDA

View Full Version : ASM-like mods on a euroreef. Anyone did them?

kwirky
09-06-2006, 11:22 PM
I'm getting an RS135 as soon as Gold's has one. I'm wondering if anyone's seen those ASM mods done on a euroreef. I know of people who've installed their own collection chambers, and you can do that to any skimmer.

I'm more curious about the gate valve mod, and the recirculation mod. Would those work on the euroreefs, or would somone just be breaking their great-as-it-is skimmer?

how come there are two-pump versions? are the two pump versions recirculating skimmers?

Pescador
09-06-2006, 11:43 PM
I've done the gate-valve mod on both my Euro-reefs, one was the kit from Euro-reef and the other I made myself when I saw the parts .

http://members.shaw.ca/btooms/Inwall%20115.jpg

The two-pump versions are recirculating which I think might be better on the bigger models.

albert_dao
09-07-2006, 06:49 AM
Phosban Reactor (carbon or granular iron oxide) plus unmodified Euroreef (well, you can do the gate valve thing) will give you more than what you need for the type of reef tank you're planning.

kwirky
09-07-2006, 05:42 PM
Phosban Reactor (carbon or granular iron oxide) plus unmodified Euroreef (well, you can do the gate valve thing) will give you more than what you need for the type of reef tank you're planning.

do you stock iron oxide? (phosban, etc) I did some research on it, and I'm gonna run a reactor, DIY. I have an extra pondmaster 150, and probably build a carbon and a phosban reactor separately, and have it power both. Think it's enough? If not, I'll just run the phosban.

I'm switching to RO/DI very soon. Sorry, Albert, I ordered it from J&L heh. :redface:

Oh, when I switch to RO/DI, how do you recommend? I did the exponential math, and 10% daily water changes would take an entire MONTH to bring the system to 95% RO/DI water. Anyone know of a better method? I'm afraid of a 100% change.

albert_dao
09-07-2006, 06:04 PM
I wouldn't worry too hard on trying to switch the whole thing over to RO right fast. This is especially true if you plan to be running Iron Oxide AND carbon together.