PDA

View Full Version : Oh great!!

Edmonton Eskimo
09-06-2006, 02:32 AM
Well, I moved to a new house a couple weeks back and I had to move my tanks. Everything seemed okay but I lost my emperor angel to ick and now the rest of the tank has it. I have a picasso trigger,sharpnose puffer, volitans lion, lunare wrasse and a snowflake moray. The only ones I notice with ich are the picasso and the lion. What is the safest way to treat? Should I use copper or hypo? I do have a quarantine set up already. I don't want to lose anymore fish. Any help muchly appreciated.

albert_dao
09-06-2006, 02:41 AM
Malachite green + formalin works a a few types of ich-looking parasites. Copper kills the rest.

Edmonton Eskimo
09-06-2006, 02:50 AM
I have heard that eels and lions are very sensitive to copper. I was hoping to treat everyone at once in the main tank after I remove my live rock. Is that going to be okay?

albert_dao
09-06-2006, 03:18 AM
Yeah, they are. But anyway, if you're going to treat the entire main tank, just make sure you remove anything porous and that you have enough water mixed in advance to pull a full 100% change afterwards.

Ruth
09-06-2006, 03:42 AM
Wouldn't you be better to treat in the quarentine tank if you are going to use copper? I have never tried it but have heard that copper can leach into the silicone, powerheads etc. You might end up turning your main tank into a permanent quarentine.

howdy20012002
09-06-2006, 03:57 AM
to truly get rid of the ich, you should leave you tank without any hosts(aka fish) for at least a month.
Removing the fish for a couple of weeks to treat them won't work. The ich will just go dormant till they come back. they can do this for a bout a month before they die off.
I would be very hesitate personally to treat my main tank with copper. This is just my opinion but you will have remains of it in your tank unless you completely sterilize it.

Skimmer Juice
09-06-2006, 04:32 AM
Use cupramine. Check out seachem's website. They say it does not stick to anything. I also treated my cowfish with this and they are also really sensitive to copper.This product is alot more safe to use.I have treated a few different fish with the stuff.It is quick acting to.Good luck

Edmonton Eskimo
09-06-2006, 04:57 AM
That is the copper that I have. The only problem with the quarantine is that I can't have all those fish in a 20 gal tank.

howdy20012002
09-06-2006, 05:01 AM
I have a 30 gallon cube u can borrow for a month if you want
LMK
Neal

Skimmer Juice
09-06-2006, 05:35 AM
Do you have lots of rock and corals? If it is not to much you could just move your rocks and corals.Then just put the stuff back in after the fish are treated and carbon been running. I use to not have a qt but now I treat every fish I buy.