PDA

View Full Version : UV sterilizer

mrcopitr
12-30-2001, 06:35 PM
Hi guys...

Is it a good idea to have a UV sterilizer in a reef tank? if yes what size on a 86 gal tank?

Also have any of you tried the new CPR hang- on refugium?? I was thinking of getting one for my new reef...as my current sump doesn<t have the space for it...

Hoping to hear from you soon...

best regards

Marco

DJ88
12-30-2001, 06:39 PM
To tell you the truth Marco,

I don't know a single person who runs a UV on a reef..

Honest..

Others may be able to enlighten you more.. but that is all I cna share..

titus
12-30-2001, 10:39 PM
Hello,

The only time I've seen a UV on a marine tank is in Superstore, or other fish store. Otherwise, only seen them used in ponds.

reefburnaby
12-30-2001, 11:50 PM
Hi,

I have read that some reefers do use UV, but they do not run it all the time. They only use it during emergencies (like ick and such).

- Victor.

Achilles
12-31-2001, 12:00 AM
IMO getting a UV for your reef tank is probably going to be a waste of money. I have seen more tanks with a UV that looked like crap, than I have of Beautiful tanks without UV sterilizers.

Use the money for something else, like better testing equipment, maybe a better skimmer! (Very important)...

I don't even really believe in using them on fish only tanks because they never seem to do their job.

Correct quarantine and acclimation procedures will help you save money and fish lives in the long run... and it is one less piece of equipment to crowd your sump!

Good luck,

Troy F
12-31-2001, 01:03 AM
I have no experience with UV but one person I know of that does run a huge UV on his tank is Jerel (aka Bomber/Landescaper). Jerel is a Dr. of marine biology and recently had his tank featured as the tank of the month on ReefCentral. Do yourself a favour, if you already haven't, and check his tank out. It's a Caribbean biotope done to perfection.

I'm not going to do all the searches but if anyone is interested in some pro UV opinions backed by some considerable experience I advise searching UV on ReefCentral, theReefTank and Fishnet. The aforementioned boards have recent posts by the good Dr. concerning UV. If I could afford one right now I think I'd probably put one on. Good luck. If you have too much trouble finding the information in a search, as a last resort, you could just ask Jerel on theReefTank or Fishnet.

Reefmaster
12-31-2001, 01:45 AM
we've never had an ich problem in our reef system. it's quite amazing what a couple cleaner shrimp and maybe a 6 line will do if a few spots show up on our regal. we did have a uv on our FO a number of years ago and it currently sits in pieces in a box.
shane

Troy F
12-31-2001, 02:51 AM
Ich isn't the only thing to worry about in a reef tank.