PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Lionfish in Reef tank?

Molino
09-03-2006, 05:15 PM
It seems that most Lionfish are put into FOWLR tanks, but I was debating getting a dwarf variety of some sort for my 55 gal Reef tank. My main concern would be whether or not it would eat any of the corals? I suspect that it won't... I am not too concerned if it eats some of my shrimp or Hermit Crabs.

But I do also have some Clownfish, PJ Cardinalfish and a Brownbarred Goby, do you see any problems there? If these fish are large enough would the Lionfish ignore them as a food item?

Thanks

Kabong
09-03-2006, 05:48 PM
Yes he won't bother the corals.
All the fish though are potential food items once he was full grown.
Snails and hermits you wouldn't need to worry about too much but any shrimp are snack's as well

Glennrf38
09-03-2006, 08:07 PM
I just got a fuzzy dwarf for my 29 gallon reef. I might lose the clowns but hopefully not. I need to train him not to eat the live fishies.

Ruth
09-03-2006, 08:26 PM
I believe the biggest problem with having lion fish in a reef tank, other than they will eat any fish that will fit in their mouth, is that they require a fairly heavy feeding schedule and are messy eaters which usually contribute to higher nitrates which the corals don't like.

Molino
09-04-2006, 04:20 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll have to think about it a little more, but sounds like it is doable if I watch the water quality closely.

In terms of the other fish becoming meals if I get a relatively small Lionfish as it grows it's tankmates will also grow hopefully staying large enough to avoid becoming food and by the time it is full grown hopefully it will not see the other fish as food..

anglfish
09-04-2006, 05:57 AM
I just got a fuzzy dwarf for my 29 gallon reef. I might lose the clowns but hopefully not. I need to train him not to eat the live fishies.

need to train him :eek:
you can train fish?

midgetwaiter
09-04-2006, 10:04 AM
You would be shocked just what these guys can eat, anything up to 3/4 of thier size is done for eventually.

I have on in my reef and I really like it in that setting. There is one thing a friend said when I asked him his opinion though. In a reef tank your are going to be in there a lot, target feeding corals and moving stuff around. These guys are sneaky and will lower thier heads and charge every once in a while. Watch him close and wear gloves, I had a pretty close call myself last week.

Molino
09-04-2006, 03:14 PM
I have on in my reef and I really like it in that setting. There is one thing a friend said when I asked him his opinion though. In a reef tank your are going to be in there a lot, target feeding corals and moving stuff around. These guys are sneaky and will lower thier heads and charge every once in a while. Watch him close and wear gloves, I had a pretty close call myself last week.

The gloves are a great idea. That would certainly be one of my concerns with this type of fish. You say that you have one in your Reef. What fish are you keeping with it sucessfully? Thanks

midgetwaiter
09-04-2006, 05:04 PM
The gloves are a great idea. That would certainly be one of my concerns with this type of fish. You say that you have one in your Reef. What fish are you keeping with it sucessfully? Thanks

Just the lionfish, it's a 20 gal. There is also a frogfish in the fuge.