PDA

View Full Version : Aquatronica Controller

BMW Rider
09-02-2006, 04:29 PM
I thought I'd add this review here for anyone else who is looking at getting one of these units.

I purchased this system from Aquarium Obssessed in Barrie Ontario. They were excellent people to deal with, the unit was shipped out right away and arrived in less than a week from the time of order.

What I got:

Basic package, including
- main unit
- 8 outlet power bar
- pH sensor with holder
- teperature sensor
- water level sensor
- PC interface and software
additional 8 outlet power bar
additional pH sensor and interface module

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/millerea/Photos/aquatronica-01.jpg

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/millerea/Photos/aquatronica-03.jpg

I began by first installing the main components. The two power bars, one in the upper cabinet to power the lights and fans, the second in the lower cabinet to power other equipment. the main display module I decided to locate on the outside of the cabinets for quick viewing and easy access. That required drilling a small hole for the connector cable to pass through.

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/millerea/Photos/aquatronica-02.jpg

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/millerea/Photos/aquatronica-05.jpg

The unit has a great deal of options for programming. Here is my basic setup. there are many more otions and additional sensors that can be utilized, some of which I may add in at a later time. The programming is simple once you figure it out, its even easier if you use the pc interface and do it from your computer. You can rename all components and sensors to suit, and even each individual outlet can be renamed for its use.

Lighting

Each bulb is controlled seperately at intervals to create a sunrise/sunset effect. The light canopy fans are turned on seperatly when the first bulb comes on until the last one shuts down plus a short cooldown period. The moonlights are turned on opposit to the main lighting period. The refugium light is also conected, but I currently run it 24 hours daily.

Temperature

I have two fans in my cabinets as well that are switched on at a preset temperature to cool the tank. The unit will switch on the heaters as well at a set temerature. Additionally, if the tank temperature rises above a desired maximum, the unit will shut down the MH lights. It will aslo go into alarm if the temperature rises or falls beyond the set parameters.

pH

I have two pH sensors connected, one for the tank, the second for the ca reactor effluent. The tank pH is set to alarm if it goes outside of the desired parameters. The ca reactor reading controlls the solenoid on the CO2 to maintain the desired ph within the reactor.

Water level

I have the water level sensor in my sump set to alarm if the water level drops. Since my TO system is gravity fed from a resevoir, it will alert me if it has run out in case I forget to refill the resevoir causing the level to drop in the sump.

The system also maintains a history of the readings from the sensors and displays them in a graph. I have it set for a seven day recording period. You can also program reminders to be displayed.

So far I am quite impressed with the unit, it has eliminated a clutter of timers and power bars form my aquarium allowing me to have a tidier more accurately controlled system.

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/millerea/Photos/aquatronica-04.jpg

A couple of things to note. The plugs on the power bars are very tightly spaced which causes larger plugs block adjoining outlets. The PC interface was included as a special bonus, it is almost essential as you cannot update the firmware without it. The unit comes with an older firmware installed which does not offer many of the features. The update process was easy. You will need a computer with a serial port or a usb to serial adapter since the interface has only a serial connection.

niloc16
09-02-2006, 05:20 PM
thanks for much for posting this, i've been researching as to possibly getting one, keep us posted with pros and cons and you find them

hawk
09-02-2006, 05:37 PM
What was the final cost? Can alarm mode be sent to email/cell phone?

BMW Rider
09-02-2006, 06:51 PM
I was lucky to get in on a group purchase throught Reef Central so I got the everything for just under $1100 shipped. Would be about $1300 at regular price. There are two new modules available/coming soon, one is a gsm phone module that will alert you by phone, the other is an ethernet module that will allow you to recieve email alerts or view and set the parameters via a browser.

Lots more info at Aquarium Obssessed's (http://aquariumobsessed.com/)web site or Aquatonica's (http://www.aquatronica.com/eng/home.htm).

michika
10-28-2006, 12:27 AM
I'm debating the same unit you've purchased. This thread is very useful in helping me make my decision!

About the software/update process, is it all set up for a PC or is it also Mac compatable?

Overall do you like the system now that you've been running it for awhile?

Psyire
10-28-2006, 02:34 AM
The PC Software is for Windows. If you run emulation software you might be able to get it to work with a mac, but the connection is serial port, so that might take some trickery. (Serial -> USB -> Emulated) or something.

The Ethernet module is on the verge of shipping and that is browser orientated, so that is universal. However it's 'control' over the Aquatronica is limited. (no firmware, updating or program changing. ..Yet anyway)

(I actually have one of the Beta Ethernet modules that I'm testing, and so far it is working quite well)

BMW Rider
10-28-2006, 03:01 AM
I pretty happy with the unit to date. There have been no major issues with it at all. There are a few software quirks that are a bit odd, but nothing that affects the operation. There seems to be good response from the manufacturer to update the software regularly to fix any issues. I have much better control over my tanks parameters now and can see how things are at a glance on the screen.

albert_dao
10-28-2006, 04:19 AM
Not to steal the fire or anything, but:

http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26797

mark
10-28-2006, 01:37 PM
Albert started it, an other type:
http://www.digitalaquatics.com/reefkeeper2.html

Canreef group order?

Psyire
10-28-2006, 05:45 PM
I don't think any 'fire' will be stolen.

The Aquatronica is more flexible, has a way larger userbase, and a proven track record. (atleast compared to the Elos and Profilux, the RK2 dosen't even play in the same playground)

support@proline
10-28-2006, 09:30 PM
Hello Psyire
Thank you for sharing your experience ,I don't want to hijack the thread ,however ,I am not sure why you think aquatronica is more felxible ,I have not had the opportunity to play around with the Elos Controller much ,but as far as profilux ,It has way more features than Aquatronica ,The programing is alot more advanced & has way more failsafes for each feature ,We had these units unveiled @ MACNA this year ,so the reason that there are currently more northamerican users for aquatronica is that ,profilux is new here ,Matthias Gross ,Designer /Programmer of Profilux did take it's time to make sure all commponents are UL tested & tested the north american versions for few months before production. (unlike other brands)
There are alot more Profilux users in germany than Aquatronica ,I do have family in Colonge germany & visit quiet frequently ,you can find profilux in many aquarium shops ,in case of aquatronica it was distributed by fauna marin in the past & only in a few shops
http://www.ghl-kl.de/Produkte/Aquaristik/Alle_Handler/alle_handler.html

http://aquatronica.de/haendler.html
Also GHL won an award for this controller in 2005
http://www.ghl-kl.de/Produkte/Aquaristik/Uber_uns/uber_uns.html.

I do frequent some of the aquatronica boards & I believe more than anything majority of the posts are about the flaws ,problems & part replacements they need.I have read your post & I believe you are very knowledgable aquarist &very hands on & familliar with aquatronica ,but I believe it will be hard to judge a unit without Having experience with it,I amsure given the chance you will be very impressed with profilux:biggrin: .
We have our first shipment of Profilux plus II units on the way they should be here shortly & I will be doing a overall review ,specially on all the new componnents & I hope you get the chance to read it .
Along Many extra features of profilux ,what sets them Apart
1- advance programing
2- Better quality probes ,specially the conductivity probe in case of aquatronica they use a graphite one ,profilux uses platinum probes that is actually meant for SW
3-The Dimming light options that come stock with unit
4- Powerbars are alot better quality & they can handle 30 amps between the 8 sockets,in case of aquatronica is only 15.
Also each socket has a seprate fuse.
5- the W-LAN option that is already out & tested makes this unit alot easier to work with.
6- Combo Interfaces instead of having to buy a seprate interface for each option .
& many ,many more ,as I promised I will keep you guys posted very soon.
& also I have to agree with you RK2 dosen't even play in the same playgrund.
Regards
Proline

Psyire
10-28-2006, 10:02 PM
Well for me it needs more available documentation, and support in North America.

I'm not sure how you think it's more flexible.. perhaps a list of maximum number of probes, programs & outlets would be nice.

I'll admit, wireless lan would be interesting.

But

Aquatronica just released their dosing pimp unit (3 pumps ea), ethernet (webserver), as well as SMS & calcium probes are just around the corner.

I haven't experienced the problem with the salinity probe like others have, but I do clean it every 2 weeks. (as with all my probes)

The aquatronica has been rock solid and hasn't hiccuped once for me. (it's been running 24/7 for over a year now) I have a full array of probes and 16 controlled outlets on it. (so it's doing it's far share of work, flawlessly)

I do like the 'combo' interfaces and higher amps per outlet. But there really isn't enough evidence to make me want to switch controller yet. Do you have full programming ability through the use of a computer?

Dave C
10-28-2006, 10:05 PM
I do frequent some of the aquatronica boards & I believe more than anything majority of the posts are about the flaws ,problems & part replacements they need.

That's not really a fair comparison given the fact that there is a single user of Profilux in N.A. at this time. Wait until you have a base of 50-100 users, set up a forum for them to meet & share comments and see how things like the language translation, change in electrical, stuff like that impact this market. I have frequented the same boards and I've found many satisfied Aquatronica users. That's the reason I purchased that controller. But it is still relatively new to this market and did go through some bug fixing & beta testing so I don't deny that there were issues. Most have been resolved to date. How would you compare the Aquatronica to ELOS, or Profilux to ELOS?

support@proline
10-28-2006, 10:41 PM
Hi Dave
That is exactly why I mentioned that ,The northamerican versions of profilux were being tested for some months before release .
The reason I mentioned the problems ,many of them are software or probe problems ,poweroutage issues,...
Profilux does not have those exact problems ,I was merely making a comparison between 2 products.
Also as far as Elos,I saw the unit @ MACNA looks very well built ,unfortunately I don't have much experience with it ,what I have used so far Neptune ,Profilux & aquatronica,it will not be fair for me to make a comment about Elos controller without any experience with it.
Dave I am pleased you are happy with your unit & it is working for you ,I hate to make anyone feel bad about a purchase & that was not my intention.
Regards
Proline

support@proline
10-28-2006, 10:46 PM
Hi Psyire
Give me a few weeks as soon as the products land I will start a thread with all their features.I will be asking Matthias to do a write up on it as well.Thanks for all your interest
Regards
Proline

Dave C
10-28-2006, 11:08 PM
Not to worry, I don't feel bad about my purchase. But you need to be fair when commenting on issues that arose from the Aquatronica product when it was first released into N.A. users' hands. Sure, there were issues that needed to be resolved, much like there were issues with the first release of the Vortech. But those issues don't diminish the value of the product as a whole. One thing that I have noticed is that the company behind the Aquatronica product is very responsive to its customers' needs & wants and that is what will make this a good product for years to come. I assume the same will be said of the Profilux product.

Ruth
10-28-2006, 11:51 PM
One thing that I have noticed is that the company behind the Aquatronica product is very responsive to its customers' needs & wants and that is what will make this a good product for years to come.

And that statement is the key and just may sway me in favour of an Auqtronica when and if I decide to buy a controller. I have bought some very expensive German made equipment that has since broken down (within a year) and have found the customer service to be sorely lacking. If you want something that has broken fixed or replaced you are on the hook for some very expensive shipping.

Dave C
10-28-2006, 11:55 PM
I should also say, don't treat my posts as an endorsement for Aquatronica. Although I do have the unit in my possession & have tested it on my tank, the tank that it is intended to be used on isn't running yet. So far I'm very happy with what I see, but it's not actually controlling anything.

Ruth
10-29-2006, 12:59 AM
Well we can look forward to some detailed reviews when you get everything hooked up.
I just think it is important to see that a company actually stands behind their products and is interested in customer service and willing to listen to their input.

Dave C
12-05-2006, 07:14 PM
I've been using the Aquatronica for a couple of weeks now and I like it. Everything I've needed it to do works well. And with the new firmware update it will do the rest of what I need. So far it's not doing a ton but here's a list:

Heater - I set the temp, an upper and lower delta and it handles the rest. Pretty simple stuff.

Top-off - I have a solenoid and two float switches. When the water gets down to the lower float it opens the solenoid and closes it when the float goes back up. If that takes too long (based on a setting I choose) it shuts down the solenoid and sounds an alarm (because I told it to). That way if a float gets hooped it won't run forever. The other float switch is a maximum water level. It should never be used but if the water ever did get that high it would shut down the solenoid. I plan to run this top off water through a Kent Marine float valve that will shut it down if the solenoid ever fails. Triple redundancy works great.

Ozone - I have an ORP probe and the AQT will turn on/off the ozonizer on the basis of my ORP levels. I'm at 375mV right now so it runs constantly.

Sump lights - there are simple timer functions so the sump lights are handled by the AQT.

Calcium reactor - this isn't operational yet as I'm waiting for my co2 tank. But when I get that the pH probe in the reactor will turn on/off the solenoid on my regulator to maintain the proper ph in the reactor.

Ethernet adaptor - I got this and it's up and running. Now I can monitor & adjust any equipment on my AQT system from anywhere in the world. That allows me to go to Mexico and check the temp/salinity/water level in my tank, just for peace of mind. If I wanted to I could shut down or turn on any piece of equipment attached to the AQT system. I have it set to send me an email if any parameter goes out of the normal operating range.

X-Y Programs - I don't use this yet but this basically gives you the ability to have two parameters affect the operation of a device. Aquatronica is working on a calcium probe and when that comes out the X-Y ability will allow me to either run top-off through my kalk mixer or straight from my RO on the basis of water level & calcium levels. Should be great.

That's it for me. I'm totally satisfied with the way this unit works & how you program it to do the things you need it to do. I haven't found anything yet that I need that it can't do.

bourbon
02-20-2007, 06:44 PM
can you comment on what you can and can't do via internet vs pc direct connect.

I've heard the aquatronica just has minimal abilities vs internet vs pc connection.

Thanks.

Dave C
02-20-2007, 06:52 PM
The direct PC connection allows you to access the unit from your computer and look at/print graphs of parameters, change programs, update firmware... stuff like that. I rarely use it but it's a necessary piece to have in order to keep your unit current. It comes with the unit at most places I've seen.

The ethernet connection allows you to connect your unit to a router and have access to it on the net. So far you have fairly minimal access IMO. You can see all of the parameters for any probes you own. You can also see any powerbars on the system and the status of whatever is plugged into those powerbars. While you can't change the programs over the net you can change the status of anything plugged into a powerbar. So you can turn off lights, pumps etc. It was great when I was on vacation to be able to jump onto a computer, see that everything was working the way it should be working and know that all measurable parameters are in the correct range. Hopefully in the future the ethernet access will give you more power and abilities.

Psyire
02-20-2007, 06:55 PM
Edit: What Dave said...

Umpa
04-18-2009, 10:16 AM
Well I have the Aquatronica and I am still waiting for the Ca probe.