PDA

View Full Version : Fixing scratches?

MikeP
09-01-2006, 10:49 PM
I'm picking up a used tank on the weekend. I haven't taken a really close look at it but it is a bit old so I assume that there is scratches in the glass. The tank is free so I'm taking it no matter what but I was wondering if there is a good way to polish out any scratches.

Thanks for any help

Delphinus
09-01-2006, 11:06 PM
With glass, I don't really know. Supposedly there is some kind of kit you can buy to buff out scratches from car windsheilds, but I kinda doubt it would work real spectacularly.

Acrylic of course should be possible to buff out.

My 75g which is my main reef, the tank is pretty old and it's scratched up pretty badly at the bottom (I think the guy before me had a silica based DSB in there). If I keep it spectacularly clean (razor blade clean) then you don't notice the scratches as much. Of course, not having a scratched tank would be much nicer, but whatcha gonna do..

Flusher
09-02-2006, 12:19 AM
"Jeweller's Rouge" should take out scratches from glass. I never tried it, since I didn't want to empty my tank to buff out the scratches. It might be worth a shot if the tank is empty when you get it.
________
DC MARIJUANA DISPENSARY (http://dc.dispensaries.org/)

Midknight
09-02-2006, 02:59 AM
Ok, so where would someone find this "Jeweller's Rouge"?

Flusher
09-02-2006, 03:04 AM
That I couldn't tell you. :redface: Try an online search, or call local glass shops.
________
hairy Webcams (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/hairy-girls/)

MikeP
09-02-2006, 05:07 AM
I'm having the tank re-trimed and re-braced (150 bucks) I asked the guy thats doing it about getting rid of scratches and he said all you can do is replace the front glass (another 150 bucks). Now we're getting close to the price of a new tank! The only reason I'm able to set up a tank this size is cause I'm getting most the stuff for free. I will call a glass shop and ask them about buffing scratches out. Unless someone can tell me a method that had worked for them. I will also check into that jeweller's rouge.

Stumped
09-02-2006, 05:24 AM
Cerium oxide and a buffer/attachment for a drill will remove scratches in glass. Google it for more information.

hawk
09-02-2006, 05:59 AM
It will really depend on how deep the scatches are. If they are deep enough to feel, even in the slightest (use a pin to drag across the surface) you will need to grind them out way before you start polishing with any compound. Cerium oxide will be a final step in a very long process. In theory you can grind out scratches in any surface followed by polishing but the work involved in even minor scratches in glass is huge. Unless it is a very large tank with very minor scratches I would check into having the front pane replaced.

MikeP
09-02-2006, 07:32 AM
Unless it is a very large tank with very minor scratches I would check into having the front pane replaced.
The tank is 190g. To re-brace and re-trim is $150 and to replace the front glass is another $150. I've had a quote of $400 for a new tank the same size so if I was to repair this one I might as well buy a new one. This 190g is free so if all I gotta put into it is $150 thats great. I have not taken a real close look at it. I think any scratches will be minor so hopefully I can "buff" them out. I was kinda hoping to get a reply from someone that has done it before. But I will look into all the info you guys have given me so far.

Farrmanchu
09-02-2006, 06:46 PM
I've done it, if you have more than one scratch, it's not worth it. I've worked for a Window and Door Company for ten years, buffed out lots of scratches with Cerium Oxide and a high speed buffing tool. It takes a LONG time, and if the glass gets too hot on the buff spot, it could crack from one edge due to stress caused by the expansion. 1 two inch shallow scratch=2 hours of HARD Elbow grease. I scratched the front of my tank, cut the glass out and replaced it with a new one. The sides are still scratched, and it's true that razorblade clean makes it lots less noticeable. Depends how many scratches, and how many you can put up with. Near the bottom or top, why worry?

hawk
09-05-2006, 12:39 AM
Saw this on RC today. Thought you might find it interesting.
http://www.fitchfamily.com/glass.html

Farrmanchu
09-05-2006, 05:28 AM
Yeah, I've read that one. I think that's the best anyone has done, that I've heard of. It's alot of work, if you're gonna buy the equip., may as well buff the whole thing. You'd hate to do all that work, only to find a scratch after filling.