PDA

View Full Version : Impeller Question

PFisher
08-30-2006, 09:43 PM
I have a pump that died. I am not too sure how long it was stopped before I got to it, but when I took it apart it was quite hot. The impeller was stuck, I managed to get it out without too much force and noticed that a plastic piece on the impeller ws broken and it had a definate wobble when spun.

My question is this, is the pump still likely to be good? I don't want to buy a new impeller for a dead pump and then have to buy a new pump anyway. Is there a way to verify if the pump is still good without the impeller?

Thanks for your help.

muck
08-30-2006, 09:46 PM
What kind of pump is it?

danny zubot
08-30-2006, 09:49 PM
If the busted impeller still spins, even though it isn't balanced anymore I'd say the motor is still good. Its cheeper to replace the impeller than to buy a new pump, so thats the route I'd take.

PFisher
08-30-2006, 10:48 PM
The pump the turbo pump for a Red Sea Berlin skimmer.

Just to clarify, when I said that the impeller has a wobble when I spin it, I meant that when I hold the shaft between my fingers and give the blade a flick. Not in the pump. It doesn't move very well at all when it is in the pump.

Tangman
08-30-2006, 11:37 PM
Sorry to say but if its a RS turbo pump for the skimmer and its broken, then it's not worth replacing the impeller, you mite get another 6 to 8 months out of the pump before it gets too loud to stand it. ( I had one on my 1st and 2nd tanks)
You mite even consider replacing the whole skimmer, you won't believe how junkie the RS is until you replace it with a plug the play type skimmer like a ASM or a Euroreef
just my 2 cents....