PDA

View Full Version : Feel terrible about impulse buy. Ugh.. Newbies take a read.

OCDP
08-29-2006, 05:14 AM
Yes.. I am coming clean, I made a bad impulse buy today (2 if you coun't the brand new EVC 14k bulb .. ) I went into an LFS today, and was just checking things out.. I seen a beautiful fish, brown and white spots. Looked very nice, and healthy. I don't need to name names on the LFS I was in as in the end it is my fault. I asked the staff about the fish... would it be suitable in a 20 gallon tank with the fish I had... he said yes the are very gentle and calm fish.. well, as gentle as this fish may be, it grows to about 3 feet in the wild. I bought a freakin' juvi sweetlips. I feel HORRIBLE.... I haven't made dumbass purchases like this in a while, and now I know why.

So now, I am stuck with this beauty juvi sweetlips, and of course.. I made the typical mistake of research after buying. You all may say what you want, but I have full intentions of returning the fish, even if they will not provide a refund for me. They get huge, are very tough to have eat prepared foods, yada yada yada.

So you all may be thinking, why are you posting this? Well, in hopes that "new to the hobby" and everyone else can see, that impulse buys just end up with bad results, most of the time. I post this to encourage people to avoid the impulse, no matter what your being told (even if you THOUGHT they were great knowledgable staff) This is the last straw for me. And I feel absolutely horrible for it, as I know better... The research must always be done before buying anything !

Anyways, had to vent.. so frustrated (with myself..) but, I am not keeping this fish. I don't care if they will not store credit me or take it for refund.. I just don't want this fish in such a small system.

So, to those new to the hobby... AVOID IMPULSE BUYS, it don't matter how beautiful the fish, coral, invert.. or what your told. You must always research before buying anything in this hobby now a days. You are responsible in the end.

Don't learn things the hard way like myself... save yourself the grief, and the horrible feeling of purchasing an animal that should in reality be left in the ocean. Bah... !

albert_dao
08-29-2006, 05:19 AM
You could always take it back with a gun in hand? :P

OCDP
08-29-2006, 05:21 AM
Hahah... yeah, just to clarify as I give Gold's 95% of my business, this fish was not purchased there. Go figure... serves me right I suppose.

I figure I'd rather post where it WASN'T purchased from rather than where it was purchased from....

Snappy
08-29-2006, 05:40 AM
Yep they get very big. When I first started I wanted to get one of those but the LFS owner advised me against it saying my 130 gal is too small.

OCDP
08-29-2006, 06:16 AM
Yeah, wow they do get massive. I definitely think it should be a "leave it in the ocean" fish. Anywhoo, I am going to contact the LFS first thing in the morning to see what I can do about this.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-29-2006, 06:17 AM
In Asia, I think those are considered food fish, not ornamentals :)

OCDP
08-29-2006, 06:19 AM
In Asia, I think those are considered food fish, not ornamentals :)

:surprise: :eek:

fishmanty
08-29-2006, 06:56 AM
Scott, its funny that you posted that...

About 3 months ago, I made the exact same purchase...

Was told, gentle, good for my reef tank, all this stuff.

then I talked to Albert, read the book at golds, and went back for store credit.

Its good of you to post this, because hopefully newer people will do some research, and come back the next day if they really want the fish.

Ty

Beverly
08-29-2006, 01:55 PM
Hah! I got you beat on impulse buying, Scott. Not that this is a good thing, though :neutral:

Several years ago, we bought this really cool looking 12" fluorescent orange worm-thing. The store didn't have any info on it and when we got back home, we did not or could not (don't remember which) find any info on the net for it. Long story short, it lasted about 5 months. Then one day it died, but we didn't know it. But our large fish sure did. They dropped like flies because of some toxin it released after death :cry: Lost our beloved marine betta along with a few other really great fish.

Now, we don't buy anything exotic, and research the heck out of a new addition before buying. If there is a fish at a lfs that looks cool, we ask to look it up in the books. Just this week, we saw a great looking fish that sort of looked like a moorish idol, but wasn't. Turned out that the fish grows to 13", is very shy and likes to hide in caves most of the time. Thank goodness for research!

danny zubot
08-29-2006, 02:04 PM
Hahah... yeah, just to clarify as I give Gold's 95% of my business, this fish was not purchased there. Go figure... serves me right I suppose.

Not to rub it in but if you would have gone to Gold's Albert wouldn't have sold it to you even if you had a gun!:razz: A week ago I inquired about one of those fish, and after hearing what they are like I decided not to tempt fate.

Psyire
08-29-2006, 07:47 PM
What's wrong with the 14k EVC bulb?

(sorry to hear about the sweetlips, I cringe when I see them in the stores)

OCDP
08-29-2006, 08:58 PM
Nothing wrong with the EVC, it looks pretty good. Just another (expensive) imuplse buy :lol:

andrewsk
08-29-2006, 09:00 PM
How did returning it go?

OCDP
08-29-2006, 09:01 PM
How did returning it go?

Still have to contact them.. about to do that right now

naesco
08-29-2006, 10:21 PM
Say One Our Father, three Hail Marys and return the fish

Skimmerking
08-29-2006, 10:30 PM
What type of fish are we talking about here any ways. am I missing some thing here. or is it a grouper

muck
08-29-2006, 10:39 PM
What type of fish are we talking about here any ways. am I missing some thing here. or is it a grouper

I bought a freakin' juvi sweetlips.

You have to read the whole post Mike.. :lol:

Midknight
08-29-2006, 10:53 PM
http://marinedepotlive.stores.yahoo.net/clown-sweetlips-grunts-sweetlips---plectorhinchus-chaetodonoides-fish--grunts-sweetlips.html

Skimmerking
08-29-2006, 10:59 PM
thanks

And for the Record Ryan you should know I can't read...

and i called you last night about shipping of ricordia...

OCDP
08-30-2006, 12:20 AM
Contacted the LFS. Mr. Sweetlips goes back either this evening or the next.

Coderad
08-30-2006, 01:06 AM
I made the same impulse buy probable from the same place about 3 months ago. He took it back no problem. But he did still try and convince me it would be fine in my 30gal.

They sure are a cool looking fish though! (when they are young & small)

OCDP
08-30-2006, 01:07 AM
:sad:

They are very cool fish... very friendly and not timid at all.. at least mine is not at the moment. I can pretty much cradle him in my hand already... he's big ol' teddy bear.

untamed
08-30-2006, 11:50 PM
Yes....they aren't even attractive when they get big. Then again...if they are good eating maybe I should consider getting a couple of them and raising them up! Pretty expensive seafood, but it would be fresh. Food for thought....

revgeoff
08-31-2006, 03:29 AM
I know I have wasted hundreds of dollars on impulse buys waaaay back when I started this hobby (hopefully my wife doesn't see this). Last weekend I almost bought a Majestic angel. I had never seen one and thought "wow, look at that amazing colour...and it is swimming with corals". Luckily I looked it up when I got home. Seems like it would probably beat the tar out of my poor juvie Emperor and gobble up what little corals my beginning reef has.

My problem (ok...one of them anyway) is whenever I go into a store I feel the need to bring something home. Luckily there are people like Wendel of OA who stops me from spending my money on things that I can't keep.

Xtasia
08-31-2006, 03:42 PM
almost 2 years membership to canreef and still doing impulse buys...

Public service announcement or not... let's hope you never do this again.

medican
08-31-2006, 04:55 PM
almost 2 years membership to canreef and still doing impulse buys...

Public service announcement or not... let's hope you never do this again.
OK DAD.........:)

After 2 years as a member @ canreef and still DON'T GET IT!!!!!!

Thanx Scott......
I think it serves as a reminder to ALL when we share our mistakes as well as our triumphs with out getting flack for it. After all I think that’s the best part of Canreef. I'm sure that all of us have made an impulse buy at one time or another (well maybe one hasn’t) I know I have.

Good on you dude

Xtasia
08-31-2006, 11:59 PM
Dude, I wasn't saying *I* was the one doing Impulse buys.. I was observing that he had been a member of canreef for 2 years and was still doing so...

A good rules for anything you do.. let alone reefkeeping.

Arm yourself with knowledge before you buy anything.
It's on sale for a reason.
Buyer beware.
Get the bigger one....

Petcrazy
09-03-2006, 01:36 AM
Um and if referring to X...it would be ok mom...but let's not get technical...nor should we get nasty...

Impulse buying is bad, but we've all been victim to it at some point.

My thought is at least he was kind enough to the fish to send it back rather then keep it and go "Whatever it's just a fish" like some people I've met would have said.
(Mind you I would have given the sales clerk a word or two about letting those who have small tanks know this fish isn't for them rather then the fish being constantly purchased and returned)