PDA

View Full Version : Calgary frag swap

danny zubot
08-28-2006, 09:55 PM
Not sure if anyone remembers the last thread to organize a frag swap in Calgary. It was decided to wait until fall when everyone was back from holidays.

Well, fall it almost upon us, so is anyone interested in hosting the next frag meeting thing? I guess I've got the ich to do some trading.:biggrin:

OCDP
08-28-2006, 10:16 PM
I'm in .. I just hit the motherload with some SPS pieces..

I'll have...

Hammer frags
Birdsnest frags
Millepora frags
Perhaps some encrusting montipora

That's all for now, but I am in !

danny zubot
08-28-2006, 10:39 PM
Are you volunteering to host Scott?

Glennrf38
08-29-2006, 02:51 AM
Not sure if anyone remembers the last thread to organize a frag swap in Calgary. It was decided to wait until fall when everyone was back from holidays.

Well, fall it almost upon us, so is anyone interested in hosting the next frag meeting thing? I guess I've got the ich to do some trading.:biggrin:

No trading frags for you if you have the ich :razz:
You might want to rephrase to the itch:smile:

OCDP
08-29-2006, 04:59 AM
No sorry I am unable to host a frag swap... still livin at home with the parents. Sorry.

danny zubot
08-29-2006, 01:50 PM
No trading frags for you if you have the ich :razz:
You might want to rephrase to the itch:smile:

It was intended, bad pun I guess.:mrgreen:

Glennrf38
08-29-2006, 07:05 PM
It was intended, bad pun I guess.:mrgreen:

Once I got over the shock and stopped crying, I thought it was pretty funny as well:lol:

Snappy
08-29-2006, 07:18 PM
I'm in.

andrewsk
08-29-2006, 09:00 PM
I would love to attend. My tank is just starting up, but I will try to bring some stuff to trade.

Thanks

Quagmire
08-30-2006, 12:17 AM
I could probably get a few zoa frags together,maybe a few frags of 3 differant types.

OCDP
08-30-2006, 12:57 AM
I could probably get a few zoa frags together,maybe a few frags of 3 differant types.

I could have quite a few yellow/green birdsnest frags.
I could make about 4 hammer frags
I could possibly make a *couple* yellow/green mille frags.
Could also possibly make some purple encrusting monti frags.

I also could make a couple various zoanthid frags.

I got an itch to do some trading as well :mrgreen:

albert_dao
08-30-2006, 03:40 AM
I have lots of stuff....

Orange Acanthastrea Echinata (the bright metallic stuff)

http://www.cichlids.ca/images/gallery/752brownorangemouthacan.jpg?c=2048e5a77d969672ff8b 445050bcee3c

and

http://www.cichlids.ca/images/gallery/751electricorangeacan.jpg?c=7c10ee9775dd8b224f967e 1e69259d20

and

http://www.cichlids.ca/images/gallery/754orangegreenacan.jpg?c=2048e5a77d969672ff8b44505 0bcee3c

Various lords

http://www.cichlids.ca/images/gallery/755greenbrownacan.jpg?c=2048e5a77d969672ff8b445050 bcee3c

and

http://www.cichlids.ca/images/gallery/753redgreenacan.jpg?c=2048e5a77d969672ff8b445050bc ee3c

and

http://www.cichlids.ca/images/gallery/756candycaneacan.jpg?c=c6ca707d4262fb5725e498af5ca 85d4b

Lots of Echinos

Lots of toadstools (three different types)

Lots of Xenias (three different types)

A few Protopalythoa (four different types)

Yadda, yadda, yadda.

danny zubot
08-30-2006, 02:59 PM
Nothing will get traded unless we have a host first. Come on who's got a big house now.:razz:

andrewsk
08-30-2006, 03:30 PM
How big of a house do we need? How many people were at the last one?

danny zubot
08-30-2006, 03:53 PM
Greg had the last one. I think we may have gotten up to 50 people? Greg?

Snappy
08-30-2006, 05:49 PM
Danny the head count was thirty something.
I am always happy to host if we get stuck for a place. My tank has changed a fair bit since the Jan meeting so it wouldn't be the same old, however I am sure people would prefer to see something completely new. But if we get stuck my place is an option. I don't have a frag tank anymore but I can break and cut a lot of pieces off when I need them. In other words I will have lots of frags available if people want them.

andrewsk
08-30-2006, 05:50 PM
I was going to offer to host but 50 people! WOW!

I have a pretty big house but no single room that we could all be in. You almost need a community center for that!

Delphinus
08-30-2006, 05:56 PM
It gets pretty hectic. I couldn't be hosting any meets until I've done my basement. One year..

At my old place, I hosted one meet and it was easily 60 people too. The scariest thing is that there are probably only 3 or 4 people still active on the board out of that crowd. So yeah, it's usually 40 to 60 people at any one meet, and at least 30 to 40 will not typically the same people from one meet to the other. It's crazy, but I guess it shows there can be a pretty high turnaround in this hobby.

albert_dao
08-30-2006, 06:05 PM
A lot of it isn't turnover, actually.

Snappy
08-30-2006, 06:11 PM
I have not been to any in the last 2 years that were more than 40 people.
I am not worried about a crowd so I reiterate, I am always happy to host.
Although I just remembered my wife is planning kitchen reno's :eek: in mid October so it would have to be before or after that if I hosted.

Here's another thought, talking some guys on the coast I heard they do tank tours. We could break into various groups and tour the city and see each others tanks. We could do this before the meet and that way know what we want frags of and from whom. A little pre-ordering if you will.
Would that work in Calgary? Let me know what you guys think.

andrewsk
08-30-2006, 07:03 PM
I have not been to any in the last 2 years that were more than 40 people.
I am not worried about a crowd so I reiterate, I am always happy to host.
Although I just remembered my wife is planning kitchen reno's :eek: in mid October so it would have to be before or after that if I hosted.

Here's another thought, talking some guys on the coast I heard they do tank tours. We could break into various groups and tour the city and see each others tanks. We could do this before the meet and that way know what we want frags of and from whom. A little pre-ordering if you will.
Would that work in Calgary? Let me know what you guys think.

I think that is a very cool idea. that way we could all stop in and see others tanks even if they do not have room to host a FULL meet.

Canadbis
08-30-2006, 07:17 PM
Sorry I cant host and since I am just starting out I really have nothing to trade.
BUT I would love to meet some of you so I can put a face to a name.
does anyone sell some at these as I would be very willing to pay.
Like I said very new to this

danny zubot
08-30-2006, 07:21 PM
It would be cool except for one thing. Driving!

Why don't we do a BBQ at a park. BYO food, beer and frags.

Or......

We could just have it at a LFS. Business for them, a warm place to meet, plenty on extra SW for everyone's broken baggies.

Just throwing ideas out there because I'm bored at work.

Delphinus
08-30-2006, 07:50 PM
I have been to plenty that were more than 40 people, I am sure. For the record you weren't around back when I hosted mine Greg, so I'm afraid that while I may have shoddy memory at the best of times, I'm going to go with my memory of the event over yours. :p

Albert, some of it IS turnover. Pure and simple.

Tank tours are neat idea, has been done before but in smaller groups, but with the spread of the hobbyists over the city, may be better to focus on those who are nearer to the actual meet, or have splinter groups.

Snappy
08-30-2006, 07:56 PM
It would be cool except for one thing. Driving!

Why don't we do a BBQ at a park. BYO food, beer and frags.

Or......

We could just have it at a LFS. Business for them, a warm place to meet, plenty on extra SW for everyone's broken baggies.

Just throwing ideas out there because I'm bored at work.

If it is in the fall I for one will not go hang out at the park but that might work well in the summer though. Although I personally prefer to see a tank at this sort of function.

As far as driving for a tank tour goes we can meet at a given location and carpool.

danny zubot
08-30-2006, 08:03 PM
Well if a tank tour is what we are doing I'll go along with it, I'll try anything once. I'll even volunteer to have my place as one of the stops, provided I haven't sold it by then.:smile:

Snappy
08-30-2006, 08:05 PM
I have been to plenty that were more than 40 people, I am sure. For the record you weren't around back when I hosted mine Greg, so I'm afraid that while I may have shoddy memory at the best of times, I'm going to go with my memory of the event over yours. :p

Albert, some of it IS turnover. Pure and simple.

Tank tours are neat idea, has been done before but in smaller groups, but with the spread of the hobbyists over the city, may be better to focus on those who are nearer to the actual meet, or have splinter groups.

I am not trying to dispute whatever happened before my time, which is why I said in the last 2 years. My experience is limited so I was just thinking of what I have seen from the time of my first one which was at Jonathon's(Canadian Man)
As far as the tour goes I was thinking a week or two before the meet, not the day of. Sorry I guess I wasn't very clear on that.
Anyway just throwing ideas out there.

danny zubot
08-30-2006, 08:22 PM
As far as the tour goes I was thinking a week or two before the meet, not the day of. Sorry I guess I wasn't very clear on that.

Why a week or two before a meet? I though you meant the tank tour was the meet?

Delphinus
08-30-2006, 08:26 PM
my first one which was at Jonathon's(Canadian Man)

I seem to recall there were a LOT of people at that one. Don't forget that some people will leave before others arrive at an event like this, so that it may a situation of "total X people attended" but not "more than Y at any one time".

I could have sworn there were more than 40 at yours, but I'll concede that I didn't do a headcount.

Not that it really matters. 30, 40, 50 people, ... the point is it tends to be standing room only. There have been events where it was only 8 to 10 people, but I think we can say that the hobby has grown a fair bit nowadays.

My biggest concern over these things is parking, it can be a bit thin, particularly in newer neighbourhoods.

Anyhow, I'm sorry that I can't host one at this point.

Snappy
08-30-2006, 09:03 PM
Why a week or two before a meet? I though you meant the tank tour was the meet?
I guess there is no reason it can't be. I am up for whatever the majority of people want to do.

Snappy
08-30-2006, 09:13 PM
I could have sworn there were more than 40 at yours, but I'll concede that I didn't do a headcount.

Not that it really matters. 30, 40, 50 people, ... the point is it tends to be standing room only. There have been events where it was only 8 to 10 people, but I think we can say that the hobby has grown a fair bit nowadays.

You're right, once you get to 30 it doesn't matter any more.

As far as parking goes it can be a pain, but in this hobby we are used to making sacrifices.:razz:

Josh24
11-12-2006, 10:04 PM
Seems that, that post started with a lot of excitment and ended with a large thump.
Is there still interest to swap frags?