PDA

View Full Version : Red Turf Algae/Diadema?

Silverfish
12-27-2001, 12:31 AM
Hi everyone, hope you are enjoying the holidays. I have a question about using a long-spine urchin (Diadema) as a controling herbivore in my 55g. I have a red turf algae (gelidium pulsillum?) that is growing really fast on everything and I would like to nip it in the bud. Wondering if anyone has any experience with the urchins (good/bad) or any other critters that may like the red stuff.
I understand that the diadema may eat coralline algae too. Dr Ron recommends this urchin for controling turf algae.

thanks
BTW, I have mostly sps in the tank right now. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

[ 26 December 2001: Message edited by: Silverfish ]

Reefmaster
12-27-2001, 02:16 PM
bruce - i will post a pic of that one we got and maybe someone will know what type it is. it does a pretty good job at cleaning things up. will post a pic of that too.

Reefmaster
12-29-2001, 09:04 PM
bruce -- pics as promised.
don't know what kind he is -- got him for free cuz he outgrew a friends tank. seems to like the coralline more than turf algae though. oh well. if anybody knows what he is...
http://members.shaw.ca/reefmaster/urchin.jpg

Silverfish
12-31-2001, 02:38 AM
Thanks for the pic Shane.

If I find an urchin here in town that may work I will probably pick it up and give it a try.

I am thinking that if I get a new MH bulb it may help with my algae problem that has just sprung up recently (Darren said he had the same thing till he changed his bulb)

Is your urchin really putting a dent in your coralline? or not too bad?

thanks