PDA

View Full Version : With or Without Skimmer

Molino
08-28-2006, 07:04 PM
I thought I'd run this past you guys before I change anything on my system. I have a 55 gal SW tank. Right now I've got 6 fish in it along with a number of corals (zoos, xenia, mushrooms, Rics, etc) some hermits and a bunch of snails. It's a new tank and has been up and running since about March.

It is in my bedroom, so I had initially hoped it would be as quiet as possible. That is not the case. I have a Remora Pro skimmer hanging on the back which due to the way it sprays water in, is not at all quiet. I have created a box which somewhat surrounds it, but it is still not very quiet.

My question is this. Can I get away with removing the skimmer altogether if I increase the water changes? to say 20 gallons (approx 40%) per week?

As an FYI I also have a small DIY refugium hanging on the back made from a AquaClear filter with several types of macro algea.

Thanks for any help.

edit: I should also note that due to the design of the tank stand there's not really any room under the tank for a sump.

fortheloveofcrabs
08-28-2006, 07:18 PM
Is the problem just at night when you try to sleep, or is it just a general annoyance? If it's just at night, put it on a timer with your lights. Less skimming is better than no skimming, right?

DanG
08-28-2006, 07:22 PM
Just run the skimmer through the day as mentioned, some skimming is better than none. You can adjust it so it skims a bit wetter as well if you're only running it part time.

OCDP
08-28-2006, 07:51 PM
FWIW, my Reef is in my bedroom, and I use an AquaC Remora. I have to turn mine off each night, as it's too loud for me . I also put some paper towel in the injection spray area and it reduces some of the noise as well.

Squiddy
08-28-2006, 08:26 PM
Yes I put paper towel in the injection chamber of my Remora Pro and it made a huge difference. Take a piece of damp paper towel and fold it up so that it fits snugly over top of where the water comes in and goes 90 degrees down to the spray nozzle. If you can get it the right size and make sure it completely seals off that area, you should almost completely be able to block out the sound of the nozzle. Worked for me! Make sure you change it every so often because it will get covered in skimmate.

Molino
08-28-2006, 10:34 PM
Thanks everyone, I may try both of those suggestions :smile:

Quagmire
08-29-2006, 12:25 AM
To answer your first question,yes you can dump the skimmer and do larger weekly water changes.But since you have the skimmer,may as well use it.Just keep your eye on nitrates if your going to be turning it off at nite.At least untill you know what other adjustments you will need to make,if any.

fortheloveofcrabs
08-29-2006, 01:13 AM
Holy crap!! I own you guys like a trillion thank you's!! I just put a damp paper towel in my remora pro - and what a difference!!! It's in my family room and was a constant annoyance. I own you guys big time!!!

THANK YOU FOR THE IDEA!!!

Squiddy
08-29-2006, 02:13 AM
I was pretty happy when I figured that out a while back, let me tell you. :mrgreen: