PDA

View Full Version : How do you rate your LFS

EmilyB
08-27-2006, 07:02 AM
I shop out of the city because I would pay more.

Veng68
08-27-2006, 07:04 AM
Hey Deb,

I guess I am lucky live were I do......... we have some great shops like J&L & Ocean :)

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]

Veng68
08-27-2006, 07:05 AM
I am also a bit crazy when it comes to LFS tourism ;) When ever I go on a trip I always plan some side trips to the LFS :)

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]

Kabong
08-27-2006, 07:16 AM
I'm gonna have to say selection.
Which we dont get a huge amount of on the Island.
So I also due a lot of online buying.

midgetwaiter
08-27-2006, 08:33 AM
IME price overrides other considerations for most people.

KarlK
08-27-2006, 12:53 PM
I like to have decent prices and staff that actually keep the type of tanks they give advice on.

i have crabs
08-27-2006, 01:55 PM
good price and good selection= no shopping around

Midknight
08-27-2006, 02:52 PM
For me knowlage and the willingness to use it is a big concideration.
I was at a LFS store and watched this young lady pickup a complete nano kit with plastic coral and a "Nemo"
I asked her one or 2 Q's and found she had no idea what she was or should be buying.
But she had been told by the sales person "No problem, you have everything you need."
And I know the sales guy knew better but they jusy wanted to make the sale.

OCDP
08-27-2006, 03:12 PM
For me knowlage and the willingness to use it is a big concideration.
I was at a LFS store and watched this young lady pickup a complete nano kit with plastic coral and a "Nemo"
I asked her one or 2 Q's and found she had no idea what she was or should be buying.
But she had been told by the sales person "No problem, you have everything you need."
And I know the sales guy knew better but they jusy wanted to make the sale.

This is a big one for me as well. I can't stand LFS's where the employee's will sell you anything you desire and tell you only what you want to hear. I like when I go to my LFS (no names needed) and they turn me down on something I want. They always have a good reason for it, and for that I always thank them. It's only the right thing to do. Obviously now after 2 years I know more myself, but still the odd time there's things I think I can keep, in which I really can't, or shouldn't. So this would be #1 for me as a newbie, but now I would say price and selection is my #1.

Tom R
08-27-2006, 03:54 PM
Price is always a consideration however we are so lucky in Vancouver to have such a variety of LFS. I am sure that the reason I am still in the hobby is that stores like J&L and OA are on the leading edge of what is required to keep this hobby interesting and they do it at a reasonable price.

Tom R

DanG
08-27-2006, 04:50 PM
There's basically 1 place I get all my stuff from, and I have not seen any reason to go elsewhere. I check the prices online for dry goods and he's pretty good about matching or coming as close as he can for most stuff or if I'm buying in quantity. Fish are top quality as well. The big thing I like is that if he's not got a bunch of other people in the store, he will take the time to shoot the **** and answer my questions.

christyf5
08-27-2006, 05:45 PM
Selection mostly, some things on the island are very limited and can take ages to get in special order.

Plus going over to Vancouver is always an adventure :wink:

AndyL
08-27-2006, 06:17 PM
Oh price is always a bigger consideration...

Of course the local 'inexpensive' store never seems to have the livestock I'm looking for... The 'expensive' store has a very crummy survival rate... And rarely do any of them carry those funky little gobies that I'm usually looking for.

One of the two new stores has gotten my buisness, one (out in the NW) is 50/50 on survival right now - the other, well haven't decided whether I'm willing to shop there - since in its previous incarnation I had problems with one of their salesmen who seems to price whatever I'm looking for way higher than it should be.

Skimmer Juice
08-27-2006, 06:30 PM
I like a little respect from the employees.Quality of livestock,price is my last concern.The store I shop at has all 3.

andrewsk
08-27-2006, 07:15 PM
Price is of little concern if I know the fish is healthy. I am about 90% Gold's and only ever go elsewhere if something rare pops up.

Where else will they hold a fish for you until they are sure it is eating and healthy?

So I guess for me it is customer sevice and quality of livestock.

naesco
08-27-2006, 07:19 PM
Quality of livestock.
I like it when they offer to feed a fish before I ask them to.
I like it when they tell me the fish is not eating when I show and interest in it.

Some stores get miffed if you ask them to feed the fish or tell you it was just fed. Avoid these stores.

Good thread. Thanks

andrewsk
08-27-2006, 07:53 PM
Quality of livestock.
I like it when they offer to feed a fish before I ask them to.
I like it when they tell me the fish is not eating when I show and interest in it.

Some stores get miffed if you ask them to feed the fish or tell you it was just fed. Avoid these stores.

Good thread. Thanks

+1

I love it when the staff tells you a fish is not eating yet etc. They instantly gain my trust. Why lie to get a quick sale when all you are doing is losing a customer if the fish dies.

marie
08-27-2006, 09:38 PM
I don't have a lot of choice, just whoever sells online :sad: . One of the pet stores here is getting into saltwater fish but unfortunately he has no idea what he is doing.

revgeoff
08-28-2006, 03:35 AM
I will gladly pay more at a store that has good quality livestock and good customer service. There is a place in the Lower Mainland that has very good prices but the worst service and (as far as I am concerned) not the best quality of livestock...I'll go to OA and pay as much as they want just for their service and high quality of livestock. They actually care about customers.

Matt
08-28-2006, 03:44 AM
Price is paramount, but I'll trade price for great service and/or unique selection. Often enough though, the best service and selection is also where the best prices are... go figure!

Glennrf38
08-28-2006, 03:44 AM
I have to agree. I woud rather pay a bit more and be told that I shouldn't buy something than to be told "Yes this yellow box fish is very easy to keep." My dead yellow box fish does kinda look like a cow fish now that I have looked around :cry: I wish all stores could figure out that we as a whole would rather have truthful, knowledgeable sales people that are in it for the long return sales than those that just want to make the biggest sale they can once.

This is a big one for me as well. I can't stand LFS's where the employee's will sell you anything you desire and tell you only what you want to hear. I like when I go to my LFS (no names needed) and they turn me down on something I want. They always have a good reason for it, and for that I always thank them. It's only the right thing to do. Obviously now after 2 years I know more myself, but still the odd time there's things I think I can keep, in which I really can't, or shouldn't. So this would be #1 for me as a newbie, but now I would say price and selection is my #1.

kwirky
08-28-2006, 05:45 AM
the people are the first thing to hook me, I believe. Then price and selection follow second place, with each one being equal in my books.

Damn the people at Gold's sure are enthusiastic, I have to say that. I don't know if they get enough business to merrit expanding their store's square footage, but it would be nice if they did.

Ruth
08-28-2006, 08:22 PM
Well I don't have a LOCAL fish store so for me it is service and quality live and dry goods above all - I have to order just about everything and have it shipped. Edmonton is probably the closest place as far as distance goes but there is only one of the new home based businesses that I will shop at there. I have never been treated so rudely after spending so much money as I was at the most "popular" store in Edmonton. Most of my stuff comes from Vancouver as IMO you just cannot beat J&L and OA for quality goods, quality service, and to top it off the best prices. They will continue to get my business.

danny zubot
08-28-2006, 08:34 PM
Location is at the top of the list. I hate driving across town for supplies, I have started to order on line for dry goods.

Selection and qualiity of livestock are a close second though. I don't mind paying into the local economy for a good quality livestock.