PDA

View Full Version : DIY Chiller

KarlK
08-24-2006, 11:58 PM
** ** Disclaimer: This is a teaser. If enough people show interest in seing the process, it will be posted. ** **

When is the last time that someone posted something like this in this forum?

What about one that actually works?

Stay tuned for the build progress and pics...

If you really want to see the build, tell me. The more interest I see, the more detail I will go into.

Pics promised in about a week!

:)

Midknight
08-25-2006, 12:16 AM
Always willing to learn more DIY. Lead on Oh Master.

Quagmire
08-25-2006, 12:29 AM
If it works,go into detal.You have 2 students now :mrgreen:

Jason McK
08-25-2006, 12:30 AM
Go for it.

How about telling us what you plan on using to cool the water?

J

Robw
08-25-2006, 01:00 AM
I want to see what you are doing.

Thanks

StirCrazy
08-25-2006, 01:08 AM
** ** Disclaimer: This is a teaser. If enough people show interest in seing the process, it will be posted. ** **

When is the last time that someone posted something like this in this forum?

What about one that actually works?

Stay tuned for the build progress and pics...

If you really want to see the build, tell me. The more interest I see, the more detail I will go into.

Pics promised in about a week!

:)

How about an overview of what kinda of chiller you are going to DIY, the degree of difficulty to actually build one and the projected cost (just a guess to start) of making this chiller. With out these basic things how could anyone know if they want to see in detail how to make one or not..

I do but thats just cuz I am weird that way :mrgreen:

Steve

Aquattro
08-25-2006, 01:25 AM
just cuz I am weird that way :mrgreen:

Steve

Canreef understatment of the month :)

clipperfish
08-25-2006, 01:41 AM
Can you have it up and running before the 25th of Nov. because if not i will have to buy one ,love to save money when ever possible .

Squiddy
08-25-2006, 03:57 AM
I doubt you will need to cool your water here in Victoria after October :razz:. I'm interested.

KarlK
08-25-2006, 05:33 AM
It is planned to be running at the latest by Sept 10

Using some salvaged parts, estimated cost - $250 including modified plumbing

It will be a split system with just a DIY chiller barrel inside and the compressor and condensor outside.

Building the system isn't too hard. Some specialized tools are required to safely charge the system. You may be able to build the system, then have an HVAC tech come to charge the system.

Chin_Lee
08-25-2006, 06:14 AM
please present your wisdom :biggrin:

MoeReefer
08-25-2006, 07:24 AM
lets have it.

cheers

StirCrazy
08-25-2006, 12:45 PM
You may be able to build the system, then have an HVAC tech come to charge the system.

you mean you will HAVE to have a HVAC come leak test and fill the system due to laws about buying refrigerant. which still should only be about another 200.00

Steve

Hightower
08-25-2006, 03:09 PM
In case you havent figured it out, KARL IS the HVAC tech. You just have to be really nice to him.

StirCrazy
08-25-2006, 06:19 PM
In case you havent figured it out, KARL IS the HVAC tech. You just have to be really nice to him.

yup, but being really nice to him would mean paying his ferry ride over to the island, feeding him and paying for the freon, which would be 200.00 anyways.. I can always take it into work and do it myself but when I looked into a titanium tub exchanger it was almost 300.00 and a 1/2 hp compressor unit was another 400.00 so it wasn't worth my time to make my own.

but I am interested in seeing what he uses for a DYI exchanger.

Steve

Quagmire
08-26-2006, 12:00 AM
:biggrin: Lets wait and see what he shows us before finding problems.Then if there are problems,maybe we can come up with a way around them.Or to fix them.

KarlK
08-26-2006, 01:25 AM
:biggrin: Lets wait and see what he shows us before finding problems.Then if there are problems,maybe we can come up with a way around them.Or to fix them.

Why do you assume there will be problems?

Quagmire
08-26-2006, 02:44 AM
Why do you assume there will be problems?

Im not assuming anything. Hence the word " if " in the second sentance.

smellsfishy
08-26-2006, 03:34 AM
just post the diy thing already.

Snappy
08-26-2006, 05:55 AM
Add me into the interested catagory. Exactly how many need to respond before the real thread begins? If you need more numbers count me twice.

KarlK
08-26-2006, 06:12 AM
The build will take place in the 7 days following this Monday

KarlK
08-26-2006, 02:31 PM
I looks like you guys are yearning for more info on this build. How about some background info on the tank?

90g AGA MF display
30g Oceanic sump
10g fuge
440W VHO lighting
Poesidon T4 return pump for the display
Mag 7 supply to the fuge
ASM G2 skimmer
1 Maxi-jet in fuge
1 Maxi-jet in display
Tunze 6060 in display

That should be all the major stuff. (I think) I only took note of the equipment that would contribute to a heat gain in the tank in any way

If i missed anything or put the wrong specs for anything down, Hightower can chime in and correct me. Maybe a few pics and a livestock list would be nice.

Could you post with that info, Hightower. I know you should have a few pics of the system around.

KarlK
08-26-2006, 02:46 PM
yup, but being really nice to him would mean paying his ferry ride over to the island, feeding him and paying for the freon, which would be 200.00 anyways.. I can always take it into work and do it myself but when I looked into a titanium tub exchanger it was almost 300.00 and a 1/2 hp compressor unit was another 400.00 so it wasn't worth my time to make my own.

but I am interested in seeing what he uses for a DYI exchanger.

Steve

Ask Hightower how much I eat ;)

I forgot to mention when you posted this thread what the hassles of taking what is called "dagerous goods" across the ferry. These include any pressurized cylinders (ie. refrigerant bottles, nitrogen bottles, acetylene tanks, etc...) of which my truck is full of. A quick count in my head shows that I have 6 pressurized cylinders in my truck at all times. Scary when you think about it.... Anyways.... Much better to get it done by someone over there. Now that is true for the split type of system that I will be building here, a complete packaged unit could be built for you and then you could take it across the ferry. :D

I just did a quick calculation and it really wouldn't be too expensive. You could still have the unit outside if you have your tank against an outside wall, or you have a crawlspace that the chiller could sit in. You could also just run it next to your tank. PM me if you are interested in something like this. I love building this kind of stuff.

The only limitation really is the availiability of parts that I can get at a price that makes this feasable to do for an affordable price. Luckily, an abundance of these parts becomes avaliable in hot weather from places like Ho-Pot & WallyWorld.

StirCrazy
08-26-2006, 07:26 PM
Luckily, an abundance of these parts becomes avaliable in hot weather from places like Ho-Pot & WallyWorld.

Hey is this another chiller using an AC and a exchanger? we had a big thread on this a long time ago and it was cheap to get an AC, but the problem was the exchanger. I looked into getting a titanium tube and shell type but it made the project almost unaffordable. No maybe you can come up with another way to do an exchanger , I know you can use plastic pipe but I don't know the tables for figuring out what size of pipe ect to make one for a 5K or 10K BTU set up.

Steve

KarlK
08-26-2006, 08:49 PM
Hey is this another chiller using an AC and a exchanger? we had a big thread on this a long time ago and it was cheap to get an AC, but the problem was the exchanger. I looked into getting a titanium tube and shell type but it made the project almost unaffordable. No maybe you can come up with another way to do an exchanger , I know you can use plastic pipe but I don't know the tables for figuring out what size of pipe ect to make one for a 5K or 10K BTU set up.

Steve
Yes it is one of those threads. I think I've figured out the materials to use in the chiller barrel.

They will be made known once the tank has been running for a bit.

If you manage to find a way to use plastic for the refrigerant lines in the chiller barrel, I would like to know. I would really worry about the oil eating the plastics.

I guess you could chill some glycol and run that through some plastic pipes in the sump or chiller barrel. You would have to have another pump and a secondary chiller barrel to cool the glycol, but you could use copper tubing to cool the glycol in the primary chiller barrel. That would make materials easier to get, but the size of the equipment would grow.

I am toying around with a way to have a sump designed for chiller applications that would do away with the need for a special heat exchanger.

Does anyone want to be the first to try this new and breakthrough technology? (seriously) :D All you need to do is build the sump to my specs, have the A/C unit modified, some lines run and your good to go. I'm going to crunch some numbers to see if this idea would provide enough heat transfer

Jason McK
08-26-2006, 10:10 PM
Ok I've now become uninterested. LOL

StirCrazy
08-27-2006, 04:17 AM
If you manage to find a way to use plastic for the refrigerant lines in the chiller barrel, I would like to know. I would really worry about the oil eating the plastics.

I know there is a plastic pipe you can use for refrigeration, and I was thinking you could either make a coil of it in the sump with a sensing bulb type set up or you could get two different sizes and make a simple duel tube type exchanger but I cannot find any info on the heat transfer through the material so I could size out the tubes for a proper BTU rating.

when I go back to work next week I'll call buddy in the fridge shop and see if I can find out what the type of plastic was again.

Steve

KarlK
08-27-2006, 04:33 AM
I know there is a plastic pipe you can use for refrigeration, and I was thinking you could either make a coil of it in the sump with a sensing bulb type set up or you could get two different sizes and make a simple duel tube type exchanger but I cannot find any info on the heat transfer through the material so I could size out the tubes for a proper BTU rating.

when I go back to work next week I'll call buddy in the fridge shop and see if I can find out what the type of plastic was again.

Steve

I would definitely be interested in knowing what that product/material is.

Hightower
08-28-2006, 02:49 AM
Here is what is planned. Obviously each is different according to where your tank is. Picked the "sun room" because the condenser unit can sit out there alone. I purposly left space behind the tank for cleaning and occasions like this, so the chiller barrel will sit behind there. There is about 4" to work with.

Karl will be bending the refrigerant lines around and through my computer room to the unit. The pump will be used off of the mag 7 im using from the sump to the fuge on top of the aquarium. Its only running about 30% with the back pressure falling back into the sump right now.

Canreef require it to be sized down. Hope you can see it.

KarlK
08-29-2006, 05:07 AM
Here's some progress pics to soothe the masses

Pic #1 - PVC Parts for the barrel
http://www3.telus.net/kethlerhvac/IM000672.JPG

Pic #2 - PVC caps before drilling and tapping
http://www3.telus.net/kethlerhvac/IM000675.JPG

Pic #3 - PVC cap after tapping for the plumbing and the gland nuts to seal around the refrigerant tubing
http://www3.telus.net/kethlerhvac/IM000677.JPG

Pic #4 - Refrigerant tubing I bent up tonight. It has to be in that shape in order to fit into such a small diameter chiller barrel
http://www3.telus.net/kethlerhvac/IM000680.JPG

Pic #5 - Cap with fittings attached and the tubing running through the cap with a perfect (I hope) seal.
http://www3.telus.net/kethlerhvac/IM000681.JPG

If anyone has questions, feel free to ask. I wasn't real detailed. I did number the pics so you could reference when asking questions. Let me know what you want to know.

Hopefully Hightower will step up and post some pics of his tank so everyone can see what a nice system it is going to be cooling

muck
08-29-2006, 05:26 AM
Hi Karl,

Looks like you are linking to pics on your Home Computers HD. You will need to upload the pics to a server or an image hosting site and link from there.

KarlK
08-29-2006, 05:33 AM
Hi Karl,

Looks like you are linking to pics on your Home Computers HD. You will need to upload the pics to a server or an image hosting site and link from there.

I was hoping no-one would notice as I learned how to post pics here...:redface:

muck
08-29-2006, 05:43 AM
hehe... no worries. Shows up great now. :wink:

KarlK
08-29-2006, 05:47 AM
I did happen to notice that the link in your sig doesn't go anywhere either ;)

90% of people will click the link when they read this :D

muck
08-29-2006, 06:36 AM
Funny.. works for me.

(Im still working on building the site though so it just goes to a holding page.)

StirCrazy
08-29-2006, 12:31 PM
Karl, what did you use to make your Refrigerant tubing? as in what material is it?

Steve

Chin_Lee
08-30-2006, 03:39 AM
Karl
are you able to elaborate on pipe sizes and descriptions? From what I can see, I believe the part list for the barrel may be:
2x 4" PVC caps
2x 1/2" ball valves (SxS?)
2x 1/2" unions (SxS?)
8x 1/2" 90 elbows (SxS?)
2x 1/2" 45 elbosw (SxS?)
4x 1/2" couplings (SxS?)
1x 1/2" male x slip adaptor
1x 3/4" female x slip adaptor
1/2" tap?

Please correct the above information accordingly.
Also what size tubing and material is the refrigerant tubing made of? (This will also help with the gland nut size)
What approximate dimensions is the tubing after being bent to that shape?
How long of tubing did you initially have to buy before bending it?

KarlK
08-30-2006, 04:59 AM
Don't worry so much about what parts are actually used right now.

I'll post progress pics along the way and let you know what size the plumbing is and you'll be able to assemble a parts list for your own projects.

The refrigerant tubing is 1/2" OD. The gland nut I bought comes with many different glands for different size cable.

KarlK
08-30-2006, 02:05 PM
Karl
are you able to elaborate on pipe sizes and descriptions? From what I can see, I believe the part list for the barrel may be:
2x 4" PVC caps
2x 1/2" ball valves (SxS?)
2x 1/2" unions (SxS?)
8x 1/2" 90 elbows (SxS?)
2x 1/2" 45 elbosw (SxS?)
4x 1/2" couplings (SxS?)
1x 1/2" male x slip adaptor
1x 3/4" female x slip adaptor
1/2" tap?

Please correct the above information accordingly.
Also what size tubing and material is the refrigerant tubing made of? (This will also help with the gland nut size)
What approximate dimensions is the tubing after being bent to that shape?
How long of tubing did you initially have to buy before bending it?
Oh, yeah. The tubing was 10 feet long before I bent it up. I had an extra 3 feet that I cut off after bending. I would assume that I used 7 feet then.:lol:

The tap is a 1/2" NPT (National pipe thread) tap. I can't remember where I got it from.

While I'm posting. I should let everyone know that Friday is the next planned build day. We should be able to get it mostly done and maybe get a frosty coil pic before I close the barrel up. I'll try to remember to do that. Everyone seems to love those pics.

Any other requests for lots of pics of a specific part of the project?

I'm working on a design for a chiller that is self contained. Should make it easier if someone wants one shipped to them. I've got most of the major parts for it. Just need to get a few other things and build it, I guess...

Anyone want to try one out for cost of materials?:mrgreen:

StirCrazy
08-31-2006, 12:45 AM
Any other requests for a specific part of the project?

yup one.. what material did you use for the refrigeration loop?

Steve

KarlK
09-01-2006, 01:55 AM
Build day on Friday!

After I get home from work, the fun begins!

Posts will be put up either Friday or Saturday night.

The refrigeration piping is a material that Hightower researched and would like to try. He'll be able to provide more specifics as to his choice of tubing

Hightower
09-01-2006, 05:58 AM
Titanium was obvious first choice but because it is so expensive, and not readily available and after alot of research we decided to go with stainless steel 316L.

I read a ton of posts on it, and SS wins. Hey if this stuff can go inside the human body, its good for fish too.

Chin_Lee
09-01-2006, 04:55 PM
Titanium was obvious first choice but because it is so expensive, and not readily available and after alot of research we decided to go with stainless steel 316L.

I read a ton of posts on it, and SS wins. Hey if this stuff can go inside the human body, its good for fish too.
Hightowerhow much was the SS tubing that you bought? And where did you buy it from?thankschin

Hightower
09-01-2006, 10:03 PM
Refrigeration supplier from Karl. He's got the connections. Aroudn $4-5 /ft I think

KarlK
09-02-2006, 02:22 AM
Well, I'm in the middle of the build right now. The system is on the vacuum pump as I type this. I've gone home for dinner and a nap.

*Note*

It is VERY easy to get heatstroke in a sun room that peaks at 40 degrees C!

I'll be back in an hour or so to charge the system and get the controls finished.

All that is really left:

2 wire splices
Placing the temperature sensor
Ty-rapping the lines and wires together
Charging the system with refrigerant
Testing to see how cold I can get the tank :) Just kidding!

Hightower has a bunch of the pics on his camera. I'll get him to send them to me or post them himself tonight.

I'll take my camera when I go back as well.

Before I get any questions about why the lines are run in the places they are; This house has concrete walls. I mean EVERY wall is concrete. Even the floors and attic are concrete! That kind of nixxes going through the walls or into the attic to hide the piping. This piping arrangement works for the way Hightower uses the space. I gave him a few options and he picked the setup he liked.

I've got a 5000 btu/h A/C unit just sitting in my truck. Does anyone want to have one built? It can be a split or a packaged unit. Let me know via PM. If no-one wants one, I don't know what I'll do with this thing. If you want, titanium tubing could be used in the heat-x. I've got some on order from Latvia, beleive it or not!

for massive inrush of PM's

;)

More later on......

KarlK
09-02-2006, 03:29 PM
What everyone has been waiting for!!!

Here I am reclaiming the refrigerand from the condensing unit
http://www3.telus.net/kethlerhvac/01%20-%20Reclaiming%20the%20refrigerant%20before%20openi ng%20the%20old%20system.JPG

http://www3.telus.net/kethlerhvac/02%20-%20Reclaim%20machine%20and%20condensing%20unit.JPG

Brazing the tubing to the condensing unit
http://www3.telus.net/kethlerhvac/03%20-%20Brazing%20in%20the%20suction%20line.JPG

http://www3.telus.net/kethlerhvac/04%20-%20More%20brazing.JPG

The refrigerant tubing next to the chiller barrel
http://www3.telus.net/kethlerhvac/05%20-%20Refrigerant%20tubing%20ready%20to%20go%20into%2 0chiller%20barrel.JPG

SS is VERY hard to flare!!
http://www3.telus.net/kethlerhvac/06%20-%20Blurry%20pic%20of%20the%20stainless%20steel%20f lares.JPG

Placing the coil into the barrel
http://www3.telus.net/kethlerhvac/07%20-%20Coil%20going%20into%20the%20barrel.JPG

TXV and the start of the water piping
http://www3.telus.net/kethlerhvac/08%20-%20Top%20of%20barrel%20with%20TXV%20and%20some%20p iping.JPG

More water piping
http://www3.telus.net/kethlerhvac/09%20-%20Chiller%20barrel%20where%20it%20will%20live%20w ith%20SW%20piping.JPG

http://www3.telus.net/kethlerhvac/10%20-%20upper%20view%20of%20chiller%20barrel%20and%20SW %20piping.JPG

This is the best tool in the world for doing PVC piping!!
http://www3.telus.net/kethlerhvac/11%20-%20Cutting%20PVC%20for%20SW%20piping.JPG

Completed chiller barrel. Well.... Functioning. I want to clean up the piping a little bit later on. It got too late, though.
http://www3.telus.net/kethlerhvac/12%20-%20Completed%20chiller%20barrel%20with%20TXV%20and %20SW%20piping.JPG

http://www3.telus.net/kethlerhvac/13%20-%20Higher%20view%20of%20the%20same%20%28Chiller%20 barrel%20in%20place.JPG

KarlK
09-02-2006, 03:29 PM
Condensing unit with Ranco temp controller and associated plumbing. Guages were attached while I was charging the system. Don't leave it running too long while doing this!!!!
http://www3.telus.net/kethlerhvac/14%20-%20Completed%20condensing%20unit%20during%20the%20 charging%20process.JPG

http://www3.telus.net/kethlerhvac/15%20-%20A%20view%20of%20the%20Ranco%20ETC111000%20contr oller.JPG

http://www3.telus.net/kethlerhvac/16%20-%20A%20view%20of%20the%20condensor%20and%20the%20c ontroller.JPG

http://www3.telus.net/kethlerhvac/17%20-%20Suction%20pressure%20guage.JPG

http://www3.telus.net/kethlerhvac/18%20-%20Condensing%20unit%20and%20LL%20Drier.JPG

http://www3.telus.net/kethlerhvac/19%20-%20Complete%20condensing%20end%20setup%20%28the%20 noisy%20bits%29.JPG

Part number for Ranco controller. Not the one most people would want. This is for 24 VAC control, but it was free. The 120 VAC equivilent is the ETC111000
http://www3.telus.net/kethlerhvac/20%20-%20Ranco%20part%20number.JPG

Why you need to be quick when charging the system. This is after 10-15 min of running the system while charging!!! It started at 80 degrees
http://www3.telus.net/kethlerhvac/21-%20What%20happens%20when%20you%20run%20the%20syste m%20for%2010%20minutes%20straight%20-%20started%20at%2080%20degrees.JPG

KarlK
09-02-2006, 03:30 PM
Fans Hightower won't be needing anymore. Don't complain about the dirt. He needs to run these basically 24/7 and never really gets a chance to shut them off for cleaning
http://www3.telus.net/kethlerhvac/22%20-%20Fan%20number%20one%20he%20will%20no%20longer%20 need.JPG

http://www3.telus.net/kethlerhvac/23%20-%20Fan%20number%202%20he%20won::t%20be%20needing.J PG

http://www3.telus.net/kethlerhvac/24%20-%20Fan%20number%203%20he%20won::t%20be%20needing.J PG

http://www3.telus.net/kethlerhvac/25%20-%20Fan%20number%204.JPG

http://www3.telus.net/kethlerhvac/26%20-%20Fan%20number%205.JPG

http://www3.telus.net/kethlerhvac/27%20-%20Fan%20number%206.JPG

Tank shots

http://www3.telus.net/kethlerhvac/46%20-%20Whole%20tank%20setup.JPG

http://www3.telus.net/kethlerhvac/47%20-%2090g%20tank.JPG

http://www3.telus.net/kethlerhvac/48%20-%20Right%20side%20of%20tank.JPG

http://www3.telus.net/kethlerhvac/49%20-%20Left%20side%20of%20tank.JPG

http://www3.telus.net/kethlerhvac/51%20-%20Left%20end%20of%20tank.JPG

fishface
09-02-2006, 04:12 PM
just outta curiousity...what was the total cost in materials for all this karl?

rickjames
09-02-2006, 05:22 PM
Looks awesome Karl! I have to say it is the first DIY chiller i have ever seen. :biggrin:

I really know almost nothing about refrigeration, but comparing to the horsepower ratings on the store bought chillers, how much power do you think that system has?

Chin_Lee
09-02-2006, 06:06 PM
Karl and Hightower
that unit looks great and I'm very impressed. I can see something like that being done with my system because my sump is in the basement and its close to an exterior wall. Also I already have a compressor unit that was originally used for a cold water crab holding tank.

few questions:
what kind of refrigeration unit is that?
what would be the HP equivalent?
how much pressure is in the lines?
how much water flow is going through the barrel?
how did you extend the length of the temp probe? (what type of wiring)

Thanks and I'm looking forward to more info on the build.

KarlK
09-02-2006, 06:56 PM
just outta curiousity...what was the total cost in materials for all this karl?

Because of the eco-friendly use of recycled materials, the total cost comes in at a grand total of $235 for parts. (The 11 or so hours of labour not being counted :) What friends will do....)

KarlK
09-02-2006, 06:57 PM
Looks awesome Karl! I have to say it is the first DIY chiller i have ever seen. :biggrin:

I really know almost nothing about refrigeration, but comparing to the horsepower ratings on the store bought chillers, how much power do you think that system has?

This uses a 1/4 horsepower condensing unit, so we'll call it a 1/4 hp chiller. It works wonderfully. The water leaving the chiller is 4 degrees cooler than the water entering!

KarlK
09-02-2006, 07:05 PM
Karl and Hightower
that unit looks great and I'm very impressed. I can see something like that being done with my system because my sump is in the basement and its close to an exterior wall. Also I already have a compressor unit that was originally used for a cold water crab holding tank.

few questions:
what kind of refrigeration unit is that?
what would be the HP equivalent?
how much pressure is in the lines?
how much water flow is going through the barrel?
how did you extend the length of the temp probe? (what type of wiring)

Thanks and I'm looking forward to more info on the build.

That unit meant for a crab tank: Does it have it's own chiller barrel? If not, the lines haven't been just left open to the atmosphere have they?

This is a refrigeration unit from an auto-purger off of the old Trane chiller for Sears at Lougheed Town Centre. I was doing the tear down a while back and it was just going to get tossed, so I scooped it.

As was mentioned, it is a 1/4 HP unit

I am running 35 PSI suction and 145 PSI discharge pressures.

Not sure of the water flow through the barrel. Probably around 200-350 gph. Not really much needed. I needed to make sure that the vapor returning to the compressor was cool enough to cool the windings of the motor.

The probe was extended with plain, old, run-of-the-mill 18 guage thermostat wire.

For more info, just let me know what your looking for. Don't be afraid to speak up!

Hightower
09-02-2006, 11:51 PM
This is way cool! Its sweltering hot today with high humidity and no fans are running and the temp remains between 77-78.

I actually thought something was wrong with my tank, because its so quiet.

Great investment, and peace of mind wondering if your tank is running too hot.

Thanks Karl!

KarlK
09-03-2006, 05:12 AM
One thing I did notice with the chiller mounted away from the tank is how quiet your tank is now. Your overflow actually seems loud now!!

Remember when we first set up this tank? You were more concerned with heating the tank than keeping it cool! That changed pretty quick, eh?

I'm sure glad it is working for you. I spent all that time working out the calculations of evap size, TXV to use, water flow avaliable, etc... It's sure nice to see it working exactly as I planned. Right down to the proper temperature of suction gas!

One thing that I would like to mention is that if anyone is thinking of doing this (which I suspect everyone is), please do not just vent off the refrigerant from your donor system into the atmosphere. Get it reclaimed properly so you don't contribute to the global warming killing the reefs.

I'll continue to post updates on this thread as I'm sure Hightower will as well.

I am still open to questions from all the people tagging along.

Now I guess I need something else to build :)

I'm thinking a 1/2 horsepower packaged chiller. Who wants to see that?
Maybe there is some special system that someone wants to see built. I like challenges. Anyone got one for me?

Flusher
09-03-2006, 05:56 AM
Maybe there is some special system that someone wants to see built. I like challenges. Anyone got one for me?

Can you make a nano tank chiller? :mrgreen:
________
Brunette Cams (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/brunette-girls/)

KarlK
09-03-2006, 02:30 PM
Can you make a nano tank chiller? :mrgreen:

Sure. I can scrounge the compressor easily enough and just build the condensor and evaporator. I've got a line on titanium tubing that would work good for that size of system. It is actually ordered and on it's way. It's about 2 weeks away.

What size tank is this for?

KarlK
09-03-2006, 04:09 PM
I don't know whether or not I mentioned the flow rate here. It is close to 90gph.

aussiefishy
10-06-2006, 06:53 PM
Great thread! I have really learnt alot!

one question i have is that is there a reason why the titanium coil/exchange coil is situated in the barrel instead of the sump itself?

Thanks
Eric

KarlK
10-07-2006, 02:33 PM
Great thread! I have really learnt alot!

one question i have is that is there a reason why the titanium coil/exchange coil is situated in the barrel instead of the sump itself?

Thanks
Eric

A few reasons:

1: The coil would take up a lot of space in the sump that Hightower did not have.

2: If the coil was in the sump, there would be no way to control the flow rate. I wanted to be able to adjust as many variables as possible with this system as it was my first one and I wanted to be able to tweak it if need be.

3: Stainless steel will corrode if alternately exposed to saltwater and air. By putting the coil in a barrel, we ensure that it will be submerged at all times.

4: It's cooler

Karl

aussiefishy
10-07-2006, 07:41 PM
WOW! well thought out!

Another question i have for you is that, does it matter how long the actual cooling coil is? will it affect performance if it is longer? i would think the longer the coil, the more powerful the unit have to be...

KarlK
10-09-2006, 04:21 PM
WOW! well thought out!

Another question i have for you is that, does it matter how long the actual cooling coil is? will it affect performance if it is longer? i would think the longer the coil, the more powerful the unit have to be...

The longer the coil, the slower your flow rate needs to be to absorb the same amount of heat from the water.

You can use a shorter coil as long as your flow rate stays high.

If your coil is just dropped into your sump, you have no way of controlling your load. Hightower has a valve on the line feeding the chiller barrel so that we can adjust the load on the condensing unit.

I assume that it is working good. I haven't heard anything to the contrary yet. Hopefully he'll see this and give an update.