PDA

View Full Version : fishroom suggestions

dunl
08-23-2006, 11:44 PM
Looking for suggestions on turning a small (9x9) room into a computer/fishroom. Unfortunately, the computer has to stay.

I've attached what the floor plan looks like (that's a basement window, and sump pump).

Here's what I have to work with so far....

two-75 gallon tanks
one 20g long
one 20g high
one 10 gallon
one 16 gallon cube
one 18 gallon cube
(the 54g bowfront stays upstairs - YES! )

I would like to do a predator tank with my two eels (freshwater moray and snowflake - both ARE saltwater, don't let the name misguide you). I also have two mantis shrimp , couple of blue damsels, and toby saddled puffer. Other than that, it's wide open, including racking and stands. Looking for wild variety.

Let the suggestions roll.

Denis
08-24-2006, 03:11 AM
Well your biggest problem will be humidity.
Seeing that you're in AB I would look into a heat recovery vent unit.
Otherwise drill all the tanks and connect to one sump, make sure it's big enough to hold all the drain water during power outage.
This way you only need one piece of each (skimmer, ..).
Try to run reverse daylight in the basement tanks to help with the heating and cooling.
You might need to add extra circuit for your AC loads.
Get a screamer to let you know something flooded the room.
And lastly the carpet is out.
That's all that comes to mind right now.

dunl
08-24-2006, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Well your biggest problem will be humidity.
Seeing that you're in AB I would look into a heat recovery vent unit.

I was thinking of some kind of a blower unit to take the humidity outside. On a brighter note, the wife doesn't think humidity is good for the computer - gee, I think I agree with that. :)

Otherwise drill all the tanks and connect to one sump, make sure it's big enough to hold all the drain water during power outage.
This way you only need one piece of each (skimmer, ..).

That will depend if I want everything on one system...not sure of that yet.

Try to run reverse daylight in the basement tanks to help with the heating and cooling.

You mean lights on at night, not during the day?

You might need to add extra circuit for your AC loads.

Lots of room in the breaker box, just not sure if I want to do a whole lot of wiring. Might not have a choice.

Get a screamer to let you know something flooded the room.

Good idea.

And lastly the carpet is out.

Why yes, yes it is. :D The sump that is in the room is a sump pump, so I am thinking it would be nice if I could figure a way to make all the water from an exploding tank go immediately to that corner, instead of taking a little time to do so. I'm also thinking of turning the door around so it opens into the hallway, instead of into the room.

How would I heat this room separately from the rest of the house, which is heated by natural gas? And how do you keep sump pump outgoing pipe from freezing in the winter?

hawk
08-24-2006, 09:51 PM
[QUOTE=dunl] The sump that is in the room is a sump pump, so I am thinking it would be nice if I could figure a way to make all the water from an exploding tank go immediately to that corner, instead of taking a little time to do so. I'm also thinking of turning the door around so it opens into the hallway, instead of into the room.

I cut the bottom 3" of the fishroom door off, and filled the space across the floor door opening with a couple of 2x4's. Then vinyled the floor and also vinyled 3"-4" up the walls including the 3" across the door opening, caulked the corners. This contains any floods from getting into adjacent rooms or inside the walls. I also have a floor drain. I'm really glad I did this, I was paranoid about water getting into the walls but after several minor floods all water has been contained in the fishroom.

Denis
08-25-2006, 06:02 AM
You mean lights on at night, not during the day?

Yes, exactly, or at least something close to that.
Heat from the tank lights will help to heat the tanks in the dark.
It might also improve pH stability.

dunl
08-25-2006, 06:26 AM
I cut the bottom 3" of the fishroom door off, and filled the space across the floor door opening with a couple of 2x4's. Then vinyled the floor and also vinyled 3"-4" up the walls including the 3" across the door opening, caulked the corners. This contains any floods from getting into adjacent rooms or inside the walls. I also have a floor drain. I'm really glad I did this, I was paranoid about water getting into the walls but after several minor floods all water has been contained in the fishroom.

DAMM! That's the best idea I've heard on a fish forum all year. Mind if I spread it around?

hawk
08-25-2006, 04:02 PM
DAMM! That's the best idea I've heard on a fish forum all year. Mind if I spread it around?

Sure. That's what these forums are all about.

KarlK
08-28-2006, 01:14 AM
I think this would be a good thread for everyone to follow.

I could see a lot of useful tips from a lot of different people with a lot of different experiences coming together.

(Or something like that)