PDA

View Full Version : Tang Heaven

seashells
08-22-2006, 04:57 PM
How is everyone making out growing this? We are having mixed results. We split the 2 lbs (Its Alot) between the hang on fuge, the 27 gal with some in a hatching basket & a 5 gal bucket with water from the last change and a bubbler. 27 gal & basket doing ok, fuge turned green & sunk ( may have been to full ) the bucket is still looking ok. Tangs love the stuff!

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-22-2006, 05:49 PM
My tangs also love it. Some have "melted" (the stuff in my 20g above tank fuge) but the rest seems to be doing well with only a few faded patches. I doing an expt. & trying to dry some for use later.

Anthony

Chad
08-22-2006, 06:45 PM
so far my fish don't touch it. I have it in my prop tank right now.. with almost zero flow and only 55w PC. It seems to be living.. not thriving tho.. :( I will be moving it this weekend, hopefully into a better tank.

I may end of giving it away if my fish don't start going for it.

seashells
08-23-2006, 07:05 AM
Had some go to mush too. But not all & in the same area some is nice dark red, looks promising. Tangs love it though, so will keep at this!!

GMGQ
08-23-2006, 07:15 AM
In my seemingly endless quest to find a suitable fuge bulb for my chaeto (and now newly added tang heaven), I think I may have finally found it.

The last bulb I was using was the local fave Philips Daylight CF bulb. My chaeto slowly turned to mush.

I recently got a new clump from a friend, and I tried out a new bulb too: Sylvania 65W Spot Grow.

Instantly, the chaeto has doubled in a couple of weeks! And the Tang Heaven seems to be hanging on as well (only the very bottom parts arent doing as well). I think the key is to manually turn the algae at least once a day so that when the fuge light comes on, the lower portions will get more light.

skylord
08-23-2006, 08:37 AM
It turned to mush in my hang on ref under a 28 watt cf with the light on 12 hrs a day. In my sump with a 9 watt on 24/7 it is doing very well. In my 33 some is doing just OK at the bottom of the tank and what I put in a hang on basket turned to mush. I think the more intense the light and the closer to the light the algae is, the faster it turns to mush. Anyway, low light 24/7 is doing best for me.
Hippo and rabbit both really like the stuff but aren't getting as much as they would like till I see if or how much I can get to grow.

seashells
08-24-2006, 04:31 AM
The stuff in the fuge that went "mushy" seems to have some healthy regrowth mixed in. The mysis & pods are quite happy swimming in the mush, & I see no other ill affects. Gona leave it & see what happens........