PDA

View Full Version : new puffer!

Skimmer Juice
08-22-2006, 03:34 AM
I just got back from gold's.Purchased a Mappa puffer he is crazy looking.I will try to post pics tommorow.I just wanted to leave him alone for atleast a day.:biggrin:

EmilyB
08-22-2006, 06:32 AM
Up to 26" ??

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=16&cat=1869&articleid=1852

Why would this be an aquarium fish?

albert_dao
08-22-2006, 06:42 AM
Because it's cool?

i have crabs
08-22-2006, 02:04 PM
thank goodness for glass and money.

EmilyB
08-23-2006, 06:13 AM
Hmmm......:sad:

Skimmer Juice
08-23-2006, 06:47 AM
what do you mean hmmm?The chances of the fish getting that size is slim.

EmilyB
08-23-2006, 06:52 AM
You're right. It's not a tang. Very informative thread however.

midgetwaiter
08-23-2006, 08:50 AM
I'd think this is much more challenging than a tang frankly. For one thing it is much larger, this fish at only 12" represents a huge bio load because of it's mass and diet. It is also much smarter and can be a serious danger to it's owner at that size or bigger.

However if someone is willing to take it on the responsibility I can't see why there would be an issue. Sniping at someone isn't going to change anything.

naesco
08-27-2006, 02:03 AM
Because it's cool?

That is not a good enough answer Albert!
Did you sell Stinky the fish?
The website Emily referred to indicates a minimum 180 gallon tank is required.
What is the size of your tank, Stinky?

Thank you
Wayne

albert_dao
08-27-2006, 02:49 AM
Of course I sold him the fish. Who else in town can get that kinda stuff?

The tone of those thread is just going completely sour. Stinky is not ignorant to the nature of the animal, nor is he unwilling to upgrade if needbe. That said, his tank IS big enough.

midgetwaiter
08-27-2006, 05:06 AM
Of course I sold him the fish. Who else in town can get that kinda stuff?

Just about anyone? It's not especially rare, you just don't see them in stores very often.

Skimmer Juice
08-27-2006, 05:27 AM
Ive never seen one.I am going to get a 5 or 6 foot cube minus the height.So I'am not worried plus I have already a longhorn cowfish and they dont stay small.This fish is in good hands.

Manny
08-27-2006, 06:02 AM
WHERE IS THE PIC. I say kudos to who ever takes on a challenge like that. I hope your fish lives a long healthy life.

albert_dao
08-27-2006, 06:22 AM
Just about anyone? It's not especially rare, you just don't see them in stores very often.

When all the other stores start bringing them in, then I'll concede my point.

Skimmer Juice
08-27-2006, 06:48 AM
here is a pic

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m162/stankiec/50d77960.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m162/stankiec/DSC05381.jpg

EmilyB
08-27-2006, 07:28 AM

I hope they don't Albert.

I had a couple adopted Stars and Stripes puffers that could barely turn around in a 155g.

albert_dao
08-27-2006, 07:37 AM
I hope they don't Albert.

I had a couple adopted Stars and Stripes puffers that could barely turn around in a 155g.

I won't even touch this.

Nice puffer.

EmilyB
08-27-2006, 08:01 AM
Should I mention they eat away all the silicone in your tank ? Or maybe not....:mrgreen:

midgetwaiter
08-27-2006, 08:31 AM

Okay you win, I'm not going to order a fish I can't find a decent home for to win an argument. I know of several people that are keeping them around North america though.

KarlK
08-27-2006, 12:51 PM
Wow! A bit of controversy on this one.....

albert_dao
08-27-2006, 04:50 PM
Okay you win, I'm not going to order a fish I can't find a decent home for to win an argument. I know of several people that are keeping them around North america though.

THE GLOVES ARE OFF AARON!

Expect a flying dragon kick next time we showdown! LOL

Skimmer Juice
08-27-2006, 06:38 PM
No one can be happy.The fish is in a good home,I have as good of chance as anyone of keeping this fish healthy and happy.Last time I checked cowfish get around 2 feet full grown.How many of those do you see in fish stores?Atleast 1 per store at all times.When was the last time you seen one of those in a tank?Just be happy for me and there is nothing wrong with buying this fish.I will keep posting on this topic so you guys can see how he is doing.I talk to a guy on grimmreefers.com about this fish.He grows them out to a foot and a half then get s them to people with larger aquariums.I am now thinking of a 6 foot cube for him so space will be plenty.

Thanks for the fish Albert.

naesco
08-27-2006, 07:11 PM
Thanks Emily for bringing the information on this fish to everyone's attention.

Thanks Albert for your comment that you will no longer bringing them in. That is a very responsible vendor attitude. If someone wants to specifically order one in they can.

Thank you

Wayne

midgetwaiter
08-27-2006, 08:37 PM
No one can be happy.The fish is in a good home,I have as good of chance as anyone of keeping this fish healthy and happy.Last time I checked cowfish get around 2 feet full grown.How many of those do you see in fish stores?Atleast 1 per store at all times.When was the last time you seen one of those in a tank?Just be happy for me and there is nothing wrong with buying this fish.I will keep posting on this topic so you guys can see how he is doing.I talk to a guy on grimmreefers.com about this fish.He grows them out to a foot and a half then get s them to people with larger aquariums.I am now thinking of a 6 foot cube for him so space will be plenty.

Thanks for the fish Albert.

I think you'll do great with this fish Stinky and you will really enjoy it. The square might not be the best choice though. IME puffers like a little bit of room to cruise and can get a little territorial with other fish. If you did an 8' x 3' tank you would be sacrificing water volume compared to a 6' x 6' but it may work better. Longer tanks allow you to arrange things so the lines of sight break up better in the tank and the fish can get away from each other if they want to. I've never been able to do that well in a cube myself but I've never tried on that scale either so just something to think about.

albert_dao
08-28-2006, 12:06 AM
Thanks Emily for bringing the information on this fish to everyone's attention.

Thanks Albert for your comment that you will no longer bringing them in. That is a very responsible vendor attitude. If someone wants to specifically order one in they can.

Thank you

Wayne

Ummmm, I don't want to sound pretentious or anything, but are you faulting me for bringing in the animal in the first place?

If not, then thanks for the understanding.