PDA

View Full Version : Help save my colt coral...

MikeP
08-21-2006, 04:51 AM
I don't know much about any type of coral yet but I bought a piece of LR from somebody and he said it had a colt coral on it. The colt coral wasn't doing to well cause his tank sitter didn't know what he was doing. Anyway this guy was taking down his tank and I bought this LR/colt coral. It looks in real bad shape (just slumped over). What can I do to help it? I have some coral builder and some phytoplankton. Should I buy some iodine? Some people swear by iodine and some say it's over rated. I should mention my tank is 30g and has 55 watt, 10000K PC lighting. I have had a pulsing xenia for a few weeks and it seems to be doing fine.

Thanks for any help.

reeferaddict
08-21-2006, 05:36 AM
Let there be light and it should be fine... Colts are one of the easiest corals to keep... I have some in my system that are akin to weeds... if you give it the right conditions it should recover fine... I found they do well in either nutrient rich or nutrient free systems...

Reefer Rob
08-21-2006, 04:06 PM
I had a colt coral that went into decline for no apparent reason. I'm not sure if this is what saved it, but I basted it every day with a phytoplankton tank water mix- it perked up right away. May have been a coincidence but might be worth a try. Once it recovered it grew like a weed.