PDA

View Full Version : New Skimmer!

Funky_Fish14
08-21-2006, 02:08 AM
Hey Everyone,

So... today was like Christmas all over again:lol:

Got it home... so excited that I started opening before taking pics of the beautiful box they sent me:razz:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b337/Funky_Fish14/2f234b1a.jpg

The parts as they were in the box:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b337/Funky_Fish14/Skimmer004.jpg

The assembled toy!

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b337/Funky_Fish14/Skimmer005.jpg

Gee, its going to be awhile till I get this puppy running on my new system, since I still have to get the tank, build stands, etc. Guess I should add that this is an APF600 model, since its not very visible in the shot. Has everyone else been happy with the performance of their Deltecs so far? I know Ruth has one or two, and I think... Tony has one? Ahh, I cant remember..:lol:

Cheers!

Chris

Ruth
08-21-2006, 03:51 AM
Well congradulations on your new toy! I do have 2 Deltec skimmers but they are the HOB models. They are very efficient, quiet skimmers and I know that you will be very happy with yours. Definately a quality product. I will have to start a new thread because I just got my new skimmer too.

Funky_Fish14
08-21-2006, 04:03 AM
Ohh exciting Ruth! Cant wait to find out what it is!

Thanks for the positive note! Im glad you are happy with yours! I was hoping to have gone up a size or two, but since my fuge will be half the volume of my tank and I will have two remote DSB's for denitrification, I will only have 5 fish(mandarin, ladder glider, Cinnamon clown, pajama cardinal, and Orange Shoulder Tang) and I dont even want to run it 24hrs due to the amount of live foods that will be entering the system, I elected for this model, which is rated to a normally stocked system of my volume.

I really want to get this thing running... im debating throwing it on the 75:razz:

Ruth
08-21-2006, 04:14 AM
You know I am a big proponent of overskimming (I actually don't think you can) so if I was you I would go ahead and throw it on your 75g. It will probably do nothing but good for it.
My new skimmer is a Bubble King 500 ext. I bought it for the 300g cube I will be setting up (sigh - someday) but for now I am going to run it on my 190g. It is rated for a lot bigger system than this (can't recall off the top of my head).
Anyway you have bought yourself a very nice skimmer and I know that would not have the patience to wait until I got a new system set up - it would be fired up ASAP.

Funky_Fish14
08-21-2006, 05:47 AM
Well the thing is, I dont really have anywhere to put it near the 75:razz: I also... have an odd situation. My nutrient levels are all extremely low, so much so that I can only keep one clam in the system at a time, I have limited algal growth, even my fuge has slow growth. The last waterchange(and only one) I did caused problems, and it was only 5g. I only top-off with RO/DI water, and I feed fairly heavily. The tank has been running for 2yrs this way, and im worried I will wreck something, lol.

Ohh, you upgraded the BK?:D Or, im just not very attentive!:redface: When did you get it?

I forgot the dims on your 300g cube.

Are you enjoying the BK's? Im thinking about one on my parent's 400-900g room divider in their retirement home.

Funky_Fish14
08-21-2006, 06:01 AM
What I meant by low nutrient levels, was phosphates, nitrates, etc...:P

My SPS show good growth;) I have not a drop of sand in my system, and dose calcium maybe... every 3 months at the most? :lol:

danny zubot
08-21-2006, 10:54 PM
Cool skimmer!

My SPS show good growth;) I have not a drop of sand in my system, and dose calcium maybe... every 3 months at the most? :lol:

Do you do large water changes often then?

Funky_Fish14
08-22-2006, 08:46 AM
Thanks Danny!

No, I actually dont do any! I... really cant explain why this system works..:S Hence why im worried about changing anything! Mandarin does great... the one crocea is happy... my birdsnest and porites grow like mad(both I've had for 2, and 2.5 years, the porites grew from a single polyp to a colony encrusting over small gaps, etc... , and now its at least 6x3" colony after 2 years, the birdsnest was started like this frag at the top of my 33g:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b337/Funky_Fish14/FTS_April-1.jpg

It was grown to about... 3"x3", fragged down to that size again, placed in a new location to encrust, and is now 4x5" and about 3-4" tall. It has also taken on very neat coloration, having an orange body, green hues on it's body, and purple polyps up close.

Anyways, I really dont know how this sytem manages to work. My blastos/acans have lots of new polyps, not as much skeletal growth though. Stuff encrusts really well in the system though. Pulsing Xenia... is no longer doing well. But thats about the only downside.

So mainly, I dont want to wratch anything putting the skimmer on it:razz: Lol.

Chris