PDA

View Full Version : Is a MAK 4 supposed to be loud?

RobbAdams
08-20-2006, 02:50 PM
Good day,

I have temporaraly hooked up my plumbing through a rubbermaid bid to check there are no leaks. So far so good. However the used Gen-X PCX40 is really loud. Is there any type of periodic service these things require? it sounds like a really loud refridgerator, the njoise is quite metallic.

I thought the reviews I read regarding this pump were that it is quiet? Are all big pumps loud?

Robb

Willow
08-20-2006, 03:08 PM
Good day,

I have temporaraly hooked up my plumbing through a rubbermaid bid to check there are no leaks. So far so good. However the used Gen-X PCX40 is really loud. Is there any type of periodic service these things require? it sounds like a really loud refridgerator, the njoise is quite metallic.

I thought the reviews I read regarding this pump were that it is quiet? Are all big pumps loud?

Robb

some pumps are louder than others, bluelines and t-series pumps are faily quiet while mags and mak's sound like trains.

Tom R
08-20-2006, 03:39 PM
I had 2 Mak 4 running on my system a while back. One of them was silent and the other sounded like a 747 at takeoff. I tried lubricating it and it did not help at all. I did clean out the dust buildup in the fan area and that brought it down to the sound of 737. I sold them both and went to an ampmaster 3600.

Tom R

littlesilvermax
08-20-2006, 06:11 PM
a Mak4 (I own 4 BTW) is an in between pump IMO.

Make sure it is sitting on something soft to stop vibration transfer, and plumb it fith flex tubing, like PVC spa-flex.

That will make a significant difference.

Quinster
08-20-2006, 09:46 PM
You may want to look into replacing the bearings on the shaft of the motor. You say used pump...did you buy it used or was it previously used by you?

The 2 I am running are silent...my cousin had one that I couldn't stand sitting in the same room as, he replaced the bearings and now it is silent as well.

HTH

Quinn

RobbAdams
08-21-2006, 04:51 PM
OK where can I get bearings? My wife is going to make me move it to the basement!

Robb

Quinster
08-21-2006, 05:34 PM
we got his at a local supplier...if you can remove them and leave the pump off for the time it would take to get them (or if you have a back up pump you can run in the mean time), all they did was measure the ID and OD and had a replacement in stock. We were told they were a common size. Sorry I can't help more with where to get them...maybe someone local knows of a bearing company.