PDA

View Full Version : Local advice-will my floor hold my 190g...

MikeP
08-20-2006, 07:10 AM
Originally posted in the reef forum I had 40 views and no replies. The Calgary forum also has a lot of traffic so here goes...I want the tank on my middle floor (my house is two levels with a basement). There is a main wall that the tank will be placed along. This wall runs from the ceiling through the middle floor and to the basement. It will be centered in-between another short wall that also does the same and an outside wall. The tanks weight will be spread across 3 stringers. I estimate the tank will weigh between 2000 and 2500 pounds.

Thanks for any help.

AJ_77
08-20-2006, 10:33 PM
26 views...

like Doug said, if it's against a load-bearing wall and straddles 3 joists you should be fine. especially if it's a newer home with silent floor system (more for strength than silence).

go hard.

MikeP
08-21-2006, 03:34 AM
[QUOTE=AJ_77]26 views...

like Doug said, if it's against a load-bearing wall and straddles 3 joists you should be fine. especially if it's a newer home with silent floor system (more for strength than silence).

I was doing a copy and paste from the post I did on reef central, must have had 40 views there.:redface: The house was built in 2002. It will go across 3 joists for sure. I was thinking of building a new stand that was 6 feet long. Then it would straddle 4 joists if I place it right. But I'm not sure if it would look to funny having a 5 foot tank on a 6 foot stand. Also a new stand might be to costly I haven't checked it out yet.

Quagmire
08-21-2006, 04:46 AM
I wouldn't worry about going 6' if you dont realy want to.The plywood on the floor will be running across the joists,spreading the weight out.

MikeP
08-21-2006, 04:52 AM
I wouldn't worry about going 6' if you dont realy want to.The plywood on the floor will be running across the joists,spreading the weight out.
That's true.

MoeReefer
08-21-2006, 05:14 AM
i built my stand bigger than my tank, i like the look, but see for yourself. however i do not think it is necesary to do so in your situation, it would just be an asthetics thing. my tank is 30 inches long and the stand is 43 inches.
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/medium/IMG_0343.JPG

cheers