PDA

View Full Version : huge auqrium in atlanta

MoeReefer
08-20-2006, 05:09 AM
has anyone ever heard or been to this place, they have two female whale sharks in an aquarium the size of a football stadium. i saw a show on it the other day. the place looks amazing.
http://www.georgiaaquarium.org/

cheers

psuedo
08-20-2006, 05:20 AM
wow...that is cool...however, they took 2 female whale sharks out of the ocean that were not in any sort of danger of dying?? I hope these creatures arent in any sort of danger of becoming extinct anytime soon.

But I guess as aquarists we can't really say too much about this, as every single last one of us is guilty of taking livestock out of their home and bringing it in too our own little piece of the ocean in our homes.

I am not trying to stir up controversy here, I am just stating the obvoius

Midknight
08-20-2006, 05:44 AM
I was just trying to figure out what type of drip method they used to acclimatize them?
And I wonder if they used the 4 tube method that someone was using here. :lol:

MoeReefer
08-20-2006, 08:18 AM
actually according to the shw i whatched this insainly rich guy had this place built in 4 years and the inspiration came after he saw the two whale sharks in a sushi farm tank in tiwian. he baught them had them shipped in specially built containers which cerculated the water from front to back so they could swim the whole time. really cool. so he saved the shartk lives.

Funky_Fish14
08-20-2006, 08:29 AM
Most info is out-of-date now actually. They have 4 whale sharks there now. Two males whom I believe are both just under 20ft I think, and two females who are around 13-16ft long, IIRC? They are hoping to try to breed them in a few years, but they have to be over 25ft I believe was said. I think the males were putting on about 2ft a year, or something?

Yeah, the shipping containers were specially built crates. And yes, I heard the same story about the two males.

hebdo27
08-20-2006, 03:20 PM
How many Seio's does it take to move that much water in those containers!!!!

:)

MoeReefer
08-20-2006, 06:16 PM
here is some photos of the move
http://www.georgiaaquarium.org/media/slideshow/slideshow-2.aspx

cheers

Richard_Dicosimo
08-21-2006, 03:03 PM
at least we all know now for the next time we order whale sharks we can ship them ups.

Richard

untamed
08-21-2006, 06:09 PM
Business takes me to Atlanta every now and then. After seeing the same program I made note to go a few days early next time and see their aquarium.