PDA

View Full Version : why do some posts get locked out???

chicki
09-24-2002, 07:39 PM
wondering why??

Delphinus
09-24-2002, 08:43 PM
Hi Lynn,

Basically it means the thread is closed, ie., not open for new replies.

It basically means a moderator has taken an action on the thread. Either it has been moved to a different forum, or it has been closed altogether.

Just a quick thought about threads being moved from one forum to another. The software this board uses allows two methods. One, is close the thread in the forum the thread is being moved out of; the other is delete the thread altogether. I don't like to delete a thread because then it looks like the thread has vanished altogether unless you happen to notice the thread pop up as if by magic in a different forum. When I move a thread I try to make a post something like "Moving to forum X (e.g., 'Buy/Sell' or whatever)". But not all moderators do this, so sometimes a thread just closes up in one forum and opens in another.

Sometimes a thread gets closed. This is never a popular thing to do, but sometimes we ("we" being the moderators of this board) get a little nervous about the direction a discussion is going. For example, maybe some comments are getting a little too personal, or it has the potential to become an all-out-fisticuffs and then people get mad or worse, decide to leave. We don't ever want this, we want people to stay and like being online on this board, so sometimes it is seen as being possibly in the better interests of the community to no longer allow further posts on a specific thread. If it gets done too often then people start to think it's a form of censorship, and that has a nasty backlash too. So, we try to limit when this happens.

I hope this answers your questions... Please feel free to discuss any concerns you have with any of the moderators: Titus, Doug, Shadetree, Troy, Dussumieri, and myself. There is also a "Q&A" forum which is for this kind of post, i.e., questions regarding the board. And on that note, please forgive me, but I am going to move this thread into that forum now. :D (You can reply to this thread, but in the Q&A forum.) ;)

cheers