PDA

View Full Version : Sugar/Vodka use

Razz
08-18-2006, 02:15 AM
I read a very interesting article on RC and it was a thread all 13 pages of using sugar/vodka to reduce nitrates for short term solutions, has anyone attempted this, any thoughts.

vanreefer
08-18-2006, 05:59 AM
look for the rest of it I think there are 80-90 pages total

reeferaddict
08-18-2006, 06:04 AM
I looked at that method too but decided to go with a sulfur denitrator as it seems to be much less maintenance overall but I am just cycling it now so still doing water changes... I'll keep updating my thread after I get it in the system.

Razz
08-18-2006, 12:44 PM
Vanreefer, I guess the four hours I spent reading the threads must have been 90 pages, many posters seen adequate results and some were dead set against it,but from all of it I never really seen a conclusion, but lots of debate on :

1. Is it natural, why not correct the problem by adequate water changes and husbandry practices. This was rebutled as what is natural in any aquarium, maybe a point.
2. It has never been scientifically proven, and what will happen down the road five to ten years, as many said crashes can occur from so many things and if we wait for a study, many things such as RDSB's would probably not have been tried.
3. Others using this way commented that it is working, as long as you use the technique in short periods and do not over do it.

So I guess it may be something others on the board have tried, sure would be nice too know if anyone has seen good or bad results. I am having a hard time dropping my nitrates from 25 to <10. Probably going to try a RDSB but who knows maybe a shot of vodka for me or the fish might just keep the whole thing in check.