PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Router Nerds! I need you. (D-Link DI-624 Input)

OCDP
08-17-2006, 08:50 PM
I never knew how much of a pain in the behind it would be to select a wireless router. Between Linksys and D-Link, I dunno who is better... or if one even is better than the other.

I did buy a D-Link DI-624 today though... and just did a quick search and the reviews are either A) People hate it. or B) People love it. Kinda makes me regret the purchase, but the reviews are so conflicting.

The main problem seems to be that the connection is dropped very frequently, and that the router needs constant resetting.

Does anyone here use one? Do you have any problems with it?? I want quality and the least amount of hassle, as I understand setting up a wireless router can be quite a pain.

I have looked at the Linksys models, the WRT(forget the rest) .. and they seem to have similar reviews... but more good than bad I'd say.

Thanks in advance for any input and advise.

DanG
08-17-2006, 09:06 PM
Have you looked at netgear? I have one and love it. I reset it maybe once every other month.

For constant dropping of the connection, do you have the newest firmware on the router? Have you tried changing the channel it broadcasts on? Is it near anything else that's electrical? Laser printer, cordless phone, etc? Do you have a 2.4GHz cordless phone in your house? It could be on the same channel as your router.

OCDP
08-17-2006, 09:12 PM
Have you looked at netgear? I have one and love it. I reset it maybe once every other month.

For constant dropping of the connection, do you have the newest firmware on the router? Have you tried changing the channel it broadcasts on? Is it near anything else that's electrical? Laser printer, cordless phone, etc? Do you have a 2.4GHz cordless phone in your house? It could be on the same channel as your router.

The router hasn't been installed yet. I just bought it though, as I have a "Source by Circuit City" right nextdoor to work. I went in and this was recommended (I am a first time wireless router buyer/user) . I *assumed* they all should work effectively without glitches.. then I read that this router has a baaaaad rep. for dropped connections and frequent resets.

Just wanted to see if it's true by other users (if there even are any on here)

I suppose it could be a number of various things causing a dropped connection though... but it seems to be a very big problem for most people using this router.

trilinearmipmap
08-17-2006, 09:36 PM
I used on in my office, it is a piece of crap, I spent many hours fixing network problems and getting disconnected. I ended up hard-wiring my network out of frustration. Return it.

OCDP
08-17-2006, 09:44 PM
Hmm

They don't seem to be user friendly at all.

Should I go with a Linksys?? If so, which model!? Therei s reviews saying that even Linksys is a bad make.

midgetwaiter
08-17-2006, 11:06 PM
I really don't like the Dlink stuff at all, it is a price brand nothing else.

Linksys has had some issues lately as well, no question about that. It's a pretty tough call right now, you could always give the Netgear stuff a try.

OCDP
08-17-2006, 11:16 PM
I really don't like the Dlink stuff at all, it is a price brand nothing else.

Linksys has had some issues lately as well, no question about that. It's a pretty tough call right now, you could always give the Netgear stuff a try.

Yeah, I am in the process of setting up my wireless router right now.

It's worth a shot I guess... I'll let you know how it works.

OCDP
08-18-2006, 12:18 AM
I am now using my laptop and have a wireless connection :)

I guess we'll see how the router does. It's in my basement, and I am in the kitchen and the connection status is "Very Good" It's at 54mbps. I also have a wireless phone in the room right near the router, not sure if that makes much of a difference or not.

I'll let you guys know what my D-Link experience is like.

mr_alberta
08-18-2006, 01:05 AM
I have the D-Link 624. Its ok, but not the greatest (though its pretty cheap nowadays).

I too get dropped signals, but I've never had any problems where it needed constant resetting. I think a lot of it (dropped signals) has to do with where you put the router. Mine, unfortunatly, is in the corner of a room in my aptartment on the opposite side of where my office is.

Canadbis
08-18-2006, 01:41 AM
I have a couple wireless networks running and I find the netgear to be the best for the buck, but haven't had any problems with dlink (no more then what you pay for) just stay away from linksys for now, they are having lots of problems

For home it is not worth the money but if it was a business I would say go with SonicWall. very pricey tho

DanG
08-18-2006, 03:58 AM
If it's just the reviews you're scared about, just get one and try it. They have a 30 day return policy, right?
From what I've seen, you can pick almost any product, and find someone who doesn't like it for whatever reason.
When they say they get a lot of dropped connections, there's too many outside factors to consider, mircowave, cordless phone, your neighbours cordless phone, etc. When you broadcast any signal, there will be interfearance of some sort, unless you're on a special licensed frequency.

OCDP
08-18-2006, 05:10 AM
Alrighty .. I now understand that there is a few factors to consider with dropped connections.. I just never knew of these. I now am getting a better understanding of how things work.

Some weird, weird things I have noticed so far though.. I dunno if anyone can help...

In the "View available wireless networks" window, there is 3 network names. All of them don't make sense. The first one is "default" the second , and this is extremely weird. It's name is "linksys" , and I bought a D-Link ... ?! Now, the very last is very odd, the network name is "james" . I figure someone is trying to do something, somehow .. haha.

My connection has been alright.. I still need to do major tweaking, and need a better understanding of things yet.

Anyways, I dunno if anyone can help or not, either way no biggy.. I will be contacting D-Link tomorrow because I do not have the first clue on how to firewall my network.

Scott

Delphinus
08-18-2006, 05:21 AM
Got a neighbour named James?

OCDP
08-18-2006, 05:28 AM
Ahaha, not that I know of Tony.

Looks like I'm goin' door to door... :lol:

trilinearmipmap
08-18-2006, 05:29 AM
My business depends on my computer network being up.

I would show up at work and have no network connection, then spend 30 to 90 minutes re-establishing the connection. This happened again and again and again.

Both the tech person at my internet service provider, and the technician who installed my wired network, advised me that this brand out wireless router is a piece of crap.

OCDP
08-18-2006, 05:35 AM
Ah well, I am going to test it out on my home PC.. so far so good. There is a return policy I believe so I mine as well see how it goes. Other than getting things established and secure, it's running alright for me.

Buccaneer
08-18-2006, 11:07 PM
Make sure to password protect your wireless router or the neighbourhood pedophile will be using it to surf the net :mad:

We really should have better laws about this stuff but sadly we do not so secure that router :wink:

Canadbis
08-19-2006, 12:03 AM
setup WEP encryption!!
and disable wireless ID broadcast.
or try to connect to one of the 3 you see that doesnt ask for security code :lol::twised:

Bartman
08-19-2006, 01:35 AM
In the "View available wireless networks" window, there is 3 network names. All of them don't make sense. The first one is "default" the second , and this is extremely weird. It's name is "linksys" , and I bought a D-Link ... ?! Now, the very last is very odd, the network name is "james" . I figure someone is trying to do something, somehow .. haha.

Scott

Yours is "default" until you change the name. "linksys" and "james" are just 2 other networks in your neighbourhood you are picking up. They will pick yours up too so enable your WEP or WPA.

I have never had any trouble with my Dlink. 4 computers connected to it, both Mac and PC, desktop and laptop, 100% uptime over 3 years.

BTW, if you can connect to "linksys" or "james" you could just return your Dlink and save your $. :evil:

roclimber
08-19-2006, 02:27 AM
In addition to "Disabling Wireless Network ID" or "not broadcasting Network ID", setup WEP or WPA, password. Another thing you should do is set up MAC filter on your Wireless router. With that, only the machine with the correct MAC address can access your wireless network.

Disabling Wireless Network is not that useful, with the right software you can still see the ID even though it's invsible.

WEP 128 encryption is good but given time, it can still be decrypted with a computer running Linux.

WPA is recommended over WEP and less overhead so it won't slow down your connection.

Might be too much for you but given time, you will know better :-)

good luck.

midgetwaiter
08-19-2006, 02:46 AM
In addition to "Disabling Wireless Network ID" or "not broadcasting Network ID", setup WEP or WPA, password. Another thing you should do is set up MAC filter on your Wireless router. With that, only the machine with the correct MAC address can access your wireless network.

Sniffing for and cloning a MAC address takes about 15 seconds.

WEP 128 encryption is good but given time, it can still be decrypted with a computer running Linux.

You can do this with just about anything including a wifi enabled cellphone or PDA if you are so inclined and WAP isn't much better. He also using a 4 year old laptop that probably doesn't support WAP.

There is no way to really secure a wireless access point, the only saving grace is that nobody really cares enough about reading the emails you send to grandma to bother with it.

DocReefer
08-19-2006, 04:58 AM
Been using the D-Link 624 for the past 6 months. No issues with it had to reset it once after a bad thunderstorm. Pretty stable otherwise. Using WEP encription. Only thing that bothered it was a 2.4 MHz cordless phone. After I switched to a 5.8 MHz phone, no issues now. I highly recommend the D-Link for the price.:lol:

OCDP
08-19-2006, 04:28 PM
Sniffing for and cloning a MAC address takes about 15 seconds.

You can do this with just about anything including a wifi enabled cellphone or PDA if you are so inclined and WAP isn't much better. He also using a 4 year old laptop that probably doesn't support WAP.

There is no way to really secure a wireless access point, the only saving grace is that nobody really cares enough about reading the emails you send to grandma to bother with it.

I use my computer for online banking and a whole bunch of other stuff I would want protected.

In the process of trying to set everything up right now.

OCDP
08-19-2006, 06:52 PM
Well, success at last (for now)

Setup the firewall. Using WPA with 128(?) bit encription.

Just my connection isn't all that great... but I think that's because I switced it from turbo, to normal... the only reason I did that was so I could change the channel it's set on from 6 to 11 (phone runs on same channel, have 3 - 2.4ghz phones in the house one on each level)

Anywhoo, thanks everyone... you've been so much help so far, given me a much better understanding on how things work. Really appreciate that.

I'm sure there will be more posts to come. Again, thanks! :wink: