PDA

View Full Version : Calcium builup in pumps and equipment

BMW Rider
08-16-2006, 06:38 PM
I just finished clearing my OM 4 way of heavy calcium deposits. I also routinely need to clean my pumps to keep them working properly. I'm just wondering what is a normal time frame for these deposits to form to the point of requiring removal. I'm finding 6-8 months is about when I need to do so to avoid problems. Much longer than that and I start to experience problems, ie: pumps not restarting, noisy operation, poor performance. Does this seem normal or do I have some other issue at hand. I try to maintain my CA level at around 400, and my alk is usually around 9 dkh. I'm using both a kalk reactor and a CA reactor.

My FOWLR tank which has no CA added other than by water changes does not experience much noticeable buildup despite having similar levels.

Psyire
08-16-2006, 07:46 PM
The trick to calcium deposits is Magnesium. If you maintain your Magnesium level around 1350 or so, you'll have a lot less calcium precipitate out of your water.

Delphinus
08-16-2006, 08:44 PM
6 to 8 months seems to be about my schedule as well.

BMW Rider
08-16-2006, 10:02 PM
My mg level is at about 1200, a bit low but not drastic. I figure the buildup is most likely just due to the ca suplimentation regime, but wanted to be sure its not unusual.

Tangman
08-16-2006, 10:49 PM
I feel that your estimates are about right, so you have nothing to be concerned about. I also agree with keeping your mag levels about 1300.
But the trick to long , quite pump life is to do regular maintance , I service all my pumps every 3 to 4 months