PDA

View Full Version : How often do you feed your SPS?

Jaws
08-16-2006, 06:01 PM
For those out there that keep mainly SPS, how often are you feeding them, if at all, and what are you feeding them?

Ruth
08-16-2006, 06:23 PM
That is a really good question. I have never specifically fed my SPS as i have always had fish in the aquarium as well so just assumed that they would pull whatever they needed out of the water column. I am thinking about setting up a new tank with only coral (SPS) and no fish so wonder what and how often to feed the tank.

Aquattro
08-16-2006, 07:02 PM
I feed mine every blue moon with about a 1/2 tsp of cyclop-eeze, mostly just for fun. I have fed every other day, I have fed newly hatched brine shrimp daily for months, and I've gone over a year with no feeding at all. No difference either way. So if you like to add extra nutrients, feeding SPS is good.

christyf5
08-16-2006, 08:02 PM
I do the blue moon deal as well. Every once in awhile I decide the tank needs a little something. I've done both reef-roids and reef chili. I don't really notice that the tank responds greatly to it but it makes me feel like I've done something nice for it :razz:

Delphinus
08-16-2006, 08:46 PM
Ditto. I've tried feeding and not feeding, no real difference. You might notice more polyp extension when you feed if you feed, but I never noticed a difference in terms of growth or colour. I did notice a difference with my tank nutrient levels though. Very easy to overdo it!

StirCrazy
08-17-2006, 02:06 AM
I do the same as Brad but maybe less.

Steve

vanreefer
08-17-2006, 04:35 AM
every third blue moon for me

Willito
09-18-2006, 02:28 AM
Maybe the non-positive results has something to do with the type/size of food. I too would like to start feeding sps but don't know what to go with as there are shelves full of things to choose from. IMO, Cyclopees was a waste of money for sps, this type/size of food is too large. What are some other suggestions.

AndyL
09-18-2006, 02:32 AM
Well there's the kent phytomax, chromamax, and zoomax of course...

Reefroids too

http://www.inlandreef.com/Testing/Phytoanalysis.html RC's analysis of the various foods...

Ruth
09-18-2006, 02:36 AM
The one product that I have seen a positive response both in terms of polyp extenstion and colour is Pohl coral vitalizer. No real difference in growth and it didn't protect them from the heat wave this summer where just about every SPS coral I had croaked.

Willito
09-18-2006, 02:37 AM
Reefroid is on the way, we'll see how that goes. Chromamax seems very interesting, very concentrated which is good. Have you tried it?

Ruth
09-18-2006, 02:48 AM
I haven't tried it although may in the future if I can find it. It is my understanding that reefroids is not a suitable food for SPS - IIRC it was designed for LPS and softies - maybe check their web site. I think it is the reef fresh that is meant for SPS and I have tried that but did not really give it an honest try as I ran into trouble with heat in my tank at the same time that my skimmer crapped out on me. Heat and no skimmer are not recommended for SPS :biggrin:

AndyL
09-18-2006, 03:29 AM
I've got the 3 kent products, dose them 2-3 times a week... Does it do anything - hard to say... Colors definitely improve.

And I've got the roids, corals definitely notice when that hits the water.

surgeonfish
09-18-2006, 04:12 AM
I try and feed three times a week, alternating between Kent phyo, Reef-roids and Marine Snow. I also am not sure any of this is making a difference except emptying my pocket book. I ran out of Marine Snow and haven't bought anymore. I think it is the most expensive of the lot. Does anyone else use Marine Snow and think it is useful?

Willito
09-19-2006, 03:15 AM
What caught my attention about feeding is from the many ocean/reef DVD's that I've seen, they all show feeding routines that occurs from the depth of the sea. Massive amount of zooplankton would rise from the deep and it virtually feeds anything and everything that has mouth(s). Rarely do they show sps feeding, more often it's soft corals and anemone, leaving me to wonder, what the heck do they eat?:question:

Jason McK
09-19-2006, 05:12 AM
Using ZEOvit I have noticed crazy increase in Polyp extension. I would only assume the corals are eating as they should.

J