PDA

View Full Version : Ooops! Thermometer mishap!

Buddyboy
08-15-2006, 03:11 AM
Just broke my thermometer a few minutes ago. I didn't see anything ooze into the tank, but a bunch of little balls fell into the sandbed. I tried to get most of them but there are some still around. Do I have anything to worry about? Are they lead balls? Any ideas??

Bud

Kabong
08-15-2006, 04:27 AM
Im not sure if it it will work, But I'd try a magnet to see if that will pick them up.

Buddyboy
08-15-2006, 04:35 AM
Good idea. Unfortunately, when I tried to use the Magfloat, they weren't attracted to it. Any other thoughts? Anyone have any ideas what these balls are made of?

Sebae
08-15-2006, 04:47 AM
Take apair of pliers and squeeze one. If it '' mushes '' and goes flat it could be lead . Also if it is a dark grey and scratches easily showing shiny metal underneath it is probably lead. Definitely remove it from the tank.

DanG
08-15-2006, 02:23 PM
You could check the web for the MSDS of that brand of thermometer. www.msds.com has the most up to date list.

Buddyboy
08-15-2006, 04:31 PM
Looks like I panicked a bit! I tried the ole Magfloat trick again and it worked! I was able to use it to attract all the little balls that the baster had missed. What a pain though! Maybe i'll buy a digital therm next. :) Thanks again for all your suggestions!!

Murminator
08-15-2006, 05:47 PM
I think those little silver balls will be mercury... which I think will be highly toxic I would do a watter change and vaccum up the area where were :mrgreen:

trilinearmipmap
08-15-2006, 08:00 PM
If you have spilled mercury it is not just your tank that you have to worry about, but your own safety.

Here is information on how to handle a mercury spill.

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/caer/cea/mercury/spills.htm#do

Ruth
08-15-2006, 08:50 PM
I don't think mercury has been used in thermometers for many years so I highly doubt it is that. It is probably a metal of some kind though so you should definately get them out of there asap.

Buddyboy
08-15-2006, 09:18 PM
Yeah, I think most aquarium thermometers available today use the red fluid inside them. In my case, the thermometer inside the glass casing wasn't damaged so none of the fluid leaked into the tank. The Magfloat took care of the rest.

fortheloveofcrabs
08-15-2006, 09:42 PM
Hey,

You can still buy mercury thermometers, but they are rare now as they are bad for the environment if broken or not disposed of perperly. The red ones are filled with dyed alcohol.

Lead is also a heavy metal and very bad for mother nature if just spread around. And like mercury, it is very bad for us if inside our bodies. Any-hoo, the balls are some other dense metal (as mercury is liquid at room temperature), either iron or a steel of some sort. They have atleast some iron in them as they were attracted to a magnet. ( Iron, nickel, and cobalt are the most common magnetic metals - so if it was lead, it would not have stuck to your magnet)

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Hope this helps.