PDA

View Full Version : flame angel eating corals

MoeReefer
08-15-2006, 12:06 AM
i have a flame angel which has started to pic at my new Goniopora, is there any way to stop it from doing that without removing one of them from my tank?

cheers

midgetwaiter
08-15-2006, 02:20 AM
Probably not, you're going to have to move one of them out.

Bob I
08-15-2006, 04:14 AM
Dwarf Angels are a crapshoot, and it looks like you lost.:sad:

MoeReefer
08-15-2006, 08:07 PM
thanks guys. i think i am going to keep the angel, i kinda like it. too bad though the coral was doing really well and looked great.

cheers

Manny
08-16-2006, 03:07 AM
what are you going to do with the coral?

Willow
08-16-2006, 03:13 AM
once it has had a taste for it don't be suprised if it trys out some other coral now.

i have crabs
08-16-2006, 02:00 PM
i had one that almost destroyed my reef,it was eating everything i had in thier

Manny
08-16-2006, 03:07 PM
hmmmm? Is it eating anything else yet?

MoeReefer
08-16-2006, 08:32 PM
i have been keepin an eye on it and do not see it eating anything else, and no other corals show signs of damage yet. i will be keeping my eye on it though.

cheers

Skimmerking
08-16-2006, 09:03 PM
Dwarf Angels are a crapshoot, and it looks like you lost.:sad:

Hey there Bob how's it going havent heard from ya in a long time

good to hear from ya

marie
08-16-2006, 09:40 PM
I have a regal angel that is a coral eater. I opted to keep the fish as well and I just remove any corals it takes a liking to. Luckily I have 3 tanks so removing a coral isn't a big deal

Manny
08-16-2006, 09:57 PM
Who's Bob?

GMGQ
08-17-2006, 12:44 AM
Why dont you take out the coral and sell/trade/give it to someone, instead of watching it die a slow painful death??

thanks guys. i think i am going to keep the angel, i kinda like it. too bad though the coral was doing really well and looked great.

cheers

MoeReefer
08-17-2006, 02:42 AM
hey GMGQ, the coral has been removed and is doing fine. i would never just leave it there to become a very expensive and beautiful snack for my angel. Marie, i too have opted to keep the fish and remove the coral. I am going to see if my brother wants to take it off my hands for me. i am keeping an eye on the angel though to see if he is eating anything else, if he is, then i will have to consider finding a home for it too. to bad, i really like both the angel and the goniapora.

cheers

marie
08-17-2006, 03:11 AM
There are a few things my angel finds edible, open brains, zoas, clams (just a guess, I didn't actually test it, I just removed the clam before the fish went into the tank) and tonight I had to remove my bubble coral :rolleyes: , but I will still work around her, she hasn't touched any sps, mushrooms or other softies so I still have lots of corals to choose from :mrgreen:

If only I could convince her to eat star polyps and protopalythoas (aka brown button polyps)

MoeReefer
08-17-2006, 04:52 AM
oh no, i have a beautiful brain in my tank too, i hope the angel doesnt find it, i dont want to have a tank with just my angel in it. Marie, i noticed that i refered to my angel as a male and you are refering to yours as a female, i however do not have the slightest clue whether mine is male, do you know how to sex a flame angel?

marie
08-18-2006, 12:19 AM
dwarf angels are all supposed to be protogynous hermaphrodites meaning they are born sexless, then they turn into females and then the dominant fish becomes male.

For flame angels the males are supposed to have more blue and a pointier tail fin.

MoeReefer
08-18-2006, 04:34 AM
cool thanks Marie, since i only have one and she has a round tail fin i am going to say she is a female, ill have think of an appropriate name.

cheers

marie
08-18-2006, 04:39 AM
Just remember, she will only stay a she until she is fully grown and then if there are no other more dominant angels in the tank she will become a he :biggrin:

MoeReefer
08-19-2006, 02:53 AM
hmmm... a name change will have to be done at that time or a sutable trans gender name; makes it a little more difficult.

cheers