PDA

View Full Version : FS: Chevron Tang (Edmonton)

mwarf
08-14-2006, 10:52 PM
I dropped into Gold's in Calgary for the first time this weekend and brought back a few fish. One is a Chevron Tang (Ctenochaetus hawaiiensis) that I felt would be a great addition to my 120gal FOWLR system.

While I've successfully mixed Sohal, Regal and Purple tangs in my system - my Sohal simply doesn't like the new addition.

Will someone have room for him in their system? I'm open to reasonable offers.

http://www.devbox.ca/hostedImages/chevron1.jpg
http://www.devbox.ca/hostedImages/chevron2.jpg
http://www.devbox.ca/hostedImages/chevron3.jpg
http://www.devbox.ca/hostedImages/chevron4.jpg
Thanks!
mwarf

Delphinus
08-14-2006, 10:57 PM
OMG. If you could bring him back to Calgary I'd be all over this one.

Ok, no just kidding. I wouldn't have the space for him right now, so it's just as well I didn't make it into Golds this weekend because I would probably not have had the willpower to not buy him. (Or her, if you prefer. I get in trouble from every girl I know for always calling them "hims".) That is one seriously nice fish. Best of luck finding a new home for him.

PS. Hope you don't mind but I am going to refile this post into the buy/sell livestock forum.

Delphinus
08-14-2006, 10:59 PM
Where are my manners! I see this is your first post.

WELCOME TO CANREEF! :) :cool:

Fishfanatic
08-15-2006, 12:31 AM
Hey I may be willing to buy him but not sure what he's worth what did you pay? and how much you asking?

mwarf
08-15-2006, 12:38 AM
Hi There,

Sorry for the sketchy amount of information in my post, I'll try to elaborate here:

I bought him at Gold's in Calgary for 90 bucks + Tax, I added him to my system last night with the lights off and he seemed to adjust really well. My tank is large enough that he can hide in the rock and not be harassed too much, but my Sohal is "on patrol" and will chase him everywhere the Sohal can fit (my Sohal is 3x the Chevron's Size).

I'm asking 100 bucks to cover my time (I have original receipt), however I'm open to offers to ensure he gets more peaceful tankmates.

p.s. Thanks for the welcome! Happy to be here!

Fishfanatic
08-15-2006, 03:28 AM
A chevron is way nicer than a sohal have you thought about getting rid of the sohal instead?

Joe Reefer
08-15-2006, 03:48 AM
pm sent

Psyire
08-15-2006, 05:48 AM
If the chevron is eating I'm not sure I would give up yet. I've had tangs' fight for a month before getting along. So long as he eats and isn't taking serious physical abuse, he'll be fine.

andrewsk
08-15-2006, 06:02 AM
PM Sent. Crap I saw this guy at Golds earlier this week but he was sold!!!!!

dunl
08-15-2006, 02:41 PM
I saw this guy on Sunday....a seriously nice fish.

I'd try it for a while longer myself before giving up, especially if your sohal has been established in the tank for a while.

cag
08-15-2006, 03:35 PM
I was told to put up mirrors against the outside of the tank to distract the aggressor for a while and it worked great for me. I got a yellow and a purple tang that really had it in for each other to become best friends in about two weeks. Might be worth a try. :)

Buccaneer
08-15-2006, 03:50 PM
It helps if you change the surroundings a bit as well ... if possible move some rocks around to distract the Sohal ... he is the most aggressive and lucky he is much larger so will have no problem establishing his dominance without having to kill the Chevron.

He is a very nice looking fish so maybe hang in there a bit longer to see if he can work things out ( especially if he is eating ). If not it would seem there are any number of good homes he can goto.

Joe Reefer
08-15-2006, 03:56 PM
Hey guys, stop convinceing him to keep the fish... I want it.:mrgreen: :lol:

Willow
08-15-2006, 05:26 PM
it probably also helps not having 4 tangs in a 120.

AJ_77
08-15-2006, 05:46 PM
it probably also helps not having 4 tangs in a 120.
this is the obvious answer, but saying that straight off to a new member... best left to somebody from out-of-province. :mrgreen:

in short, good call - a sohal in a 4ft/4tang tank is a recipe for crankiness

maybe keep the chevron, sell the sohal?

mwarf
08-15-2006, 05:47 PM
After last night, I'm seriously looking for someone to take him. I agree I like the Chevron alot -but I dont' want to keep him in a tank where he's taking a beating.

So far most of the nipping has been superficial fin damage. But Joe Reefer says he'll pick him up today. I've thrown the Sohal into the sump for a while so he can cool off.

M.

http://www.devbox.ca/hostedImages/fishUpdate.jpg

Psyire
08-15-2006, 07:22 PM
IMHO, you should get rid of the Sohal and keep the Chevron.

Down the road you will have to either upgrade or get rid of the Sohal anyway.

mwarf
08-15-2006, 11:00 PM
Thanks for all the advice everyone. As an update Joe Reefer just came by and picked him up. In the meantime, I think I'll find a new home for the Sohal, I agree he really will need a bigger tank.

Joe Reefer
08-16-2006, 03:10 AM
Thanks Mike, Nice meeting you.