PDA

View Full Version : Sump/skimmer combo

Digital Daddy
08-13-2006, 01:26 PM
Hi there,does anyone have the acrylic sump/skimmer setup that SWC sells?I would like to verify how well it works.Jayson gets them made up and says they work well.They look very well made and it has the same needle wheel pump in the sump as what is on the skimmer model itself.

Doug
08-13-2006, 03:03 PM
Hey DD

WELCOME

Never used them but I did give them a good look last time I was there. Seem to be pretty well built. I assume the skimmer will work the same as the other units he sells, but hard to say without seeing one in action.

DanG
08-13-2006, 05:59 PM
I don't have the sump skimmer combo, but I did just get one of his custom acrylic skimmers, and so far it's performing much better than my last skimmer.

Farrmanchu
08-29-2006, 03:47 AM
I run one, the smallest model, up to 120Gal tank or something. I run it on my 55Gal. Reef, with a 590GPH return pump in there. The Skimmer part works really well, and it's easy to adjust the type of skimmate you want to collect. Skims so well, that it only really generates skimmate after feeding. There's a sponge in there that prevents bubbles from entering the return chamber, and room on top of it for a big bag of Carbon. I've also got a 100 Watt Ebo Jager Heater in there, doesn't turn on much, as the skimmer and return pumps generate heat, maybe an issue with a system using Metal Halide, in which case the unit can be drilled for an External Pump. Daily top offs, or automatic top offs should be done, as the decrease in water level shows only in the return pump chamber, and it's not all that big, if my system evaporates more than 3-4 Liters, my return pump will start to suck some air. All in all, I very pleased with it, and it looks friggin' sharp in my cabinet. Oh yeah, the Bioballs, and filter fiber that are sold with it are optional, I ditched the Bioballs, and use tha filter mat thing on the drip plate to polish the water once in a while, if it clogs, the sump can overflow right after the skimmer section.