PDA

View Full Version : EDM-GBTA Split After Moving to New Digs

Beverly
08-08-2006, 02:47 AM
Yippeeeee!! It has taken since Thursday to set up the 120g using livestock from our 37g and 67g, but it's all done and the house is more or less back in order :biggrin: Pics and videos of the renewed 120g will follow at some later date when I get my strength back :wink:

All the livestock made the move very well, so well in fact, that our 8" diameter GBTA split again. Now that the lights are out, the mother GBTA looks like it's going to make a run for a new location. I'm hoping to stay up late enough to remove it from the 120g while it's moving.

I can house it for a day or two in our 20g, but ultimately am looking for a new home for it ASAP. Needs a mature tank with either MH lighting or VHOs in a shallow tank. The GBTA eats mysis, and chopped jumbo shrimp and scallops. $25.

Please PM me with your phone number and name for quick pick up if you are interested.

Beverly
08-08-2006, 03:01 AM
Gads! Just looked at the GBTA and it looks like it may have split into three :eek: Anyway, if the main GBTA moves tonight and I'm awake to catch it, it'll be for sale.

Skimmerking
08-08-2006, 03:18 AM
GLad to hear that the 37 and the 67 tank are combined into one there Bev. now you need to add a sump and then get a bigger protein skimmer...

michael.

bnhreef
08-08-2006, 05:42 AM
PM'd ya

Railskinner
08-08-2006, 06:49 AM
How many times will they split, i have 1 and it finally has finished spitting into 5 pieces. This is a 1st for me. I think its a GTBA as well.

Beverly
08-08-2006, 01:43 PM
Well, the mother GBTA did not move far. And I fell asleep at 10:30 last night, so I was unable to remove it. At 4:30 this morning, I tried to pry it off the rock, but it was stuck on there pretty good. So maybe it's found a new home. Will watch for signs of movement tonight again.

At some point, if the three GBTAs stay put, I may take that part of the rock structure down to remove two of them and put them up for sale. But not right away cuz we just put the tank together over three grueling days :eek:

Michael,

Talked about getting skimmers awhile back, but never did get one. Actually, Matt was over after the 120g was all set up to pick up some livestock. He was complaining (again :razz: ) that we didn't have enough noise coming from the tank running it without a skimmer or sump :wink:

Railskinner,

This is the first time my GBTA split into three at one time. Usually, they just split into two. However, since getting this clone from Calgary in November 2005, it has split twice before.

Beverly
08-08-2006, 06:26 PM
Well, just looked at the larger of the three GBTAs and it has split into two smaller ones.
So now we've got FOUR freaking GBTAs :eek: :drinking:

Please, no more PMs, or if you've sent a PM without a phone number, please resend with a phone number.

We're NOT going to take the tank apart for awhile - not after all the trouble we had putting it together for three days :crazyeye: I will keep the PMs I currently have and contact folks in order of receipt when we decide to remove the GBTAs.

Thank you all for your interest :smile:

G1GY
08-08-2006, 06:41 PM
Just point a powerhead at the BTA's foot and it will start to move soon.

This always works for me. :)

Beverly
08-08-2006, 10:05 PM
Just point a powerhead at the BTA's foot and it will start to move soon.

This always works for me. :)

Gary,

Have tried several methods to move BTAs since they either were at the back of the tank where they couldn't be fed or when they started cloning themselves last year.

Like you say, the powerhead method works. Eventually. And usually at night when I'm sleeping so I can't "catch" them and they end up somewhere worse than they were originally. Of course, that was when they were in a 37g where they were limited as to where they could go and there were few other corals for them to "walk" over. In the 120g, they could travel vast distances, taking out some prized corals along the way.

I'm thinking I may remove the rock they are stuck to, replace it with another rock, then unstick them in the 20g we always seem to have set up for some reason or other. Not sure if that will work because one clone seems to be stuck to two rocks :neutral:

Sigh.