PDA

View Full Version : Issues keeping Angels

rudy
08-08-2006, 12:57 AM
Every angel I add to my tank seems to develop a strange fin wasting away symptom and eventually die. The fins will start to redden, and eventually start to fray and rot away. I always thought it was something in my tank picking on them until now.

I have tried to treat them, put them in a hospital tank, testing water parameters etc with no success.

My latest is a fairly large Emporer that has started to develop this symptom. As usual eats fine, and is actually in a 150 gallon with no other fish.

Is there anything else someone could point me to as the cause?

Ruth
08-12-2006, 02:36 PM
Sounds like some kind of fin rot or parasite is living in your system. My Moorish Idol had that and I thought I was going to loose him. He had no bottom fin left, his tail was all ragged looking and he had no "streamer" at all. I just made sure my water was well oxygenized (is that a word?) and fed a good mixture of meaty food, garlic, selcon, and nori. It went away on it's own and he is now beautiful again.
Sorry - not much help. Don't know if a lack of oxygen could cause this but I do know that angels really need a lot of oxygen in the water.

fortheloveofcrabs
08-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Just wondering, if it's parasitic, would a UV sterilizer help?

rudy
08-12-2006, 04:54 PM
I have a UV sterilzer in there. What is strange is it never affects anything but the angel