PDA

View Full Version : what Camera settings for fish and tank shots

Uniqueisme
08-06-2006, 07:07 PM
Hi there just got a good camera so I can take some pictures of my fish and tank, but I am running into some problems.

I set my shutter speed way up and aperture open wide, but when I take the shot my lighting of the tank turns out yellow.
So I tried to turn off just my white lights and leave just the blues on, but now everything is all blue ... (insert dumb comment here)
So I was wondering what you guys are doing to get such nice shots and keep the color levels right

Kabong
08-06-2006, 07:15 PM
These articals will give you a good start
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=333197

Uniqueisme
08-06-2006, 08:29 PM
sweet ...
Tank you very much helps alot ..

Psyire
08-07-2006, 02:50 AM
I think you'll find you'll get more desirable shots by adjusting your white balance.

sumpfinfishe
08-07-2006, 06:26 AM
Yes, white balance is a huge factor when shooting tanks, if your camera lets you adjust the WB then play with that setting with options like cloudy, sunny, etc... or set your own white balance by shooting at off white colors which won't help in overall tank shots but instead might help you achieve the true color of a fish or coral.

I also use a tripod whenever possible for corals, no flash, acrylic tubes to shoot thru water, and yes like you mentioned -high shutter speeds for those speedy fish :mrgreen: happy shooting!

i have crabs
08-07-2006, 12:48 PM
a nice feature on my new camera lets me adjust the whitebalance by k factor from 2500k up to 9500k wich i thought was something cool