PDA

View Full Version : Dolphin Ampmaster 3000

Troy F
07-01-2002, 02:50 PM
I'm running this pump on a closed loop on a 155gal tank. I love the flow it creates and it is silent. Having said that I have real concern about this pump's ability to handle the test of time. For $500 it may be an expensive experience.

Troy F
07-01-2002, 05:28 PM
Brad I don't like the idea of an external shaft driving the impeller. I just see a headache getting the seals or having a burnt out motor because of blown seals.

Aquattro
07-02-2002, 04:04 AM
Troy, what is the cause of this concern?

Delphinus
07-17-2002, 05:29 PM
:eek:

But you've only had it ... what, a month, two months, tops?

I'd be looking into some kind of warrantee repair/replacement. No way for the amount of time you've been running it that it's reasonable to find it leaking and rusty already.

Troy F
07-17-2002, 07:47 PM
Ummm...how mad are you Darren? ;) One more very would seriously scare me :eek: . Did you contact Dolphin about replacement seals? You've paid for the thing now, you may as well get the warranty. Maybe see if John or Allen can bring in a few sets of these seals. Jamie seems to think that they should be available locally, why not ask him where he'd start to source them?

StirCrazy
07-17-2002, 07:56 PM
Darren is this a slow drip? I know on the ship we set all our seals to leake at a slow drip so they don't burn out the seals themselves.. could the ampmaster be the same idea?

Steve

DJ88
07-17-2002, 08:10 PM
Tryoy,

Emailed Doplhin. Have to call tomorrow. Sigh.. I am just straight out disappointed. I have been running it for not even a month and a half.. wait.. exactly a month and a half. We will see what they say..

Steve,

No other Ampmasters I have seen were leaking like this. no leaks at all.

http://members.shaw.ca/dj88/pix/pump1.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/dj88/pix/pump2.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/dj88/pix/pump3.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/dj88/pix/pump4.jpg

Troy F
07-17-2002, 08:16 PM
Sorry to make light of it, I would be sick if mine was leaking that bad and I truly feel for you. My worst fears have been confirmed, looks like they're in for another fiasco. I'm glad I don't own stock. There is one ray of hope; it may be that you received a pump with the old seals.

StirCrazy
07-17-2002, 08:21 PM
looks like bad seals.. the leak I was talking about is like a drip every 5 to 10 seconds LOL not a stream.. now that I think about it the ampmaster should have ceramic seals anyways (that would be my guess anyways) and if they got dirty from the instalation that would cause them to die fast. I would definatly call them and rais a stink.. that is unsat.. especialy after what 2 months? I could see after about a year but not 2 months.

Steve

DJ88
07-17-2002, 08:35 PM
Troy,

It's ok. I'd have done the same till I saw the pics too. lol. That is after cleaning under it two weeks ago or so. :eek:

Steve,

These pumps have had a history but it was supposedly fixed and this set of pumps was supposed to be fixed.

I am just going for my money back. This is pathetic.. IMO.

JimE
07-17-2002, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by StirCrazy:
I know on the ship we set all our seals to leake at a slow drip so they don't burn out the seals themselves.. could the ampmaster be the same idea?
Steve<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think you are thinking of packing rather than mechanical seals like the ampmaster would have. These should be completely dry. Darren mentioned pressure as a possible cause of failure. These seals are rated for something like 75-100psi typically. Its pretty quick for the stainless or the elastomers to fail from incompatibilty with salt water. Bio-fouling is more probable. I read on RC that Dolphin was playing with the spring tension of the seal to try and solve nonstarting problems. Perhaps the spring tension is a little too light now. The original pump that dolphin is "branding" doesnt have a choice of seals - there is one that works period. Good luck.

Jim

StirCrazy
07-17-2002, 11:34 PM
Darren have you read this?
http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86895

seams your not alone...

Steve

[ 17 July 2002, 22:30: Message edited by: StirCrazy ]

Shadetree
07-18-2002, 03:13 AM
Darren,

If the Mak isn't too loud for you, hook it up and put it to use. Give me a call on my cell tomorrow or PM me.

Scott

DJ88
07-18-2002, 03:38 AM
Scott.. ran it last night for two hours.. actually forgot it was running. It was that quiet.

DJ88
07-18-2002, 04:18 AM
Well I am going to add to this.

I am not sure of the actual reason this happened or anything. All I know is that my $500 pump is now leaking aroudn the rear seal. I have lots of rust colored salt creep and junk. Whether it is due to running it under pressure due to the bullet skimmer or what I have no clue. All I know is now I need to go buy a new return pump. Grrrrrrrrr

Scott. It's not for sale. lol

very very very very mad..... :mad: :mad:

DJ88
07-18-2002, 01:45 PM
Well once again Tom Jr at Doplhin was great to talk to. Pump is taken care of.

Troy F
07-18-2002, 06:48 PM
What are they doing?

DJ88
07-18-2002, 07:05 PM
I asked for a full refund..

Plumbing two MAK4's in my system right now.