PDA

View Full Version : Sad news... Just lost my huge 5" Arrow Crab

b_james
08-02-2006, 08:22 PM
Came home for lunch today to find him slumped over a rock lifeless. It saddens me because for some reason I always felt sorry for him, not sure why, maybe because he always looked lonely or the fact that he looked kind of rediculous.

Not sure what caused his death, maybe he starved? It was hard to judge how much he eats as he seem to 'always' be eating picking stuff off the LR and sand. He loved to be stick fed, he would get so exited when I gave hime a peice of krill as he would carry that thing around for hours - looked like a kid holding an ice cream cone.

Anyways although most people would say he was just a crab, He was the first 'live' addition to my tank... Ill miss the little pointy head guy:cry:

bulletsworld
08-02-2006, 08:43 PM
Aww...what an adorable post. I love how you describe him. I never ever bought one but was always fascinated by them. They made me chuckle cause they always look like their walking around with a grumpy face on.

Sounds like your guy was a cool dude. Sorry for your loss. *HUGS*

Got any pictures of your crab? Did ya name him? Did you find that he ever picked on any fish or other inverts? Always wondered if they were as mean as everyone made them out to be.

Lee

b_james
08-02-2006, 09:57 PM
I will check to see if I have a photo. Never had a problem with other fish, even with his enormous size, he never picked on ANY of my fish or inverts... except one time shortly after I first introduced him to the tank he picked up a small hermit crab and was trying to pull the little guy out of his shell but it was kind of sad because he just couldnt do it. You cant help to think how he would ever survive in the wild. After watching him for about 20 minutes or so with no success, I felt bad and for the first time tried to feed him with the tongs. Well, he got so excited and drop the poor defensive hermit and grabbed the food off the tongs and quickly retreated back to his favort area up high on the rock and watched himself in the mirror (back of my tank) eating this thing for the next few hours. Like I said I always felt for the little guy - it was like he had no friends and never bothered anyone - he just stayed out of everyones way.

Skimmerking
08-03-2006, 01:57 AM
he might of molted there James My porcelain crab did that he was huge too. came home he was upside down.. looked dead until yesterday i found him bigger and better

i hope that will make your day :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgr een:

Ken
08-03-2006, 06:00 AM
Hi, how long did you have your arrow crab? Could it be possible a molt and he is still in hiding? Sorry for your loss, it seems like you were quite attached to him/her, comsidering we all had that first animal that we fondly remember of. Regards Ken

impreza
08-03-2006, 02:36 PM
Molt is a possibility, but it's pretty hard to hide when you're a 5" arrow crab!

b_james
08-03-2006, 02:55 PM
At first I was thinking the same thime, but after close inspection, it didnt appear to be a skin shell and there was not opening, the body was complete and intact. however I still find myself looking all around the back side of the rock work looking for signs of him incase he molted which is unlikely.