PDA

View Full Version : The Quiet One

titus
12-27-2001, 03:55 PM
Purchased Date: Unknown

Price: $169.00 CAD

Dealer: J&L Aquatics

Comments: Quiet solid built external pump with good flow. Weak for driving protein skimmers though.

clintyiu
01-17-2002, 01:57 AM
Also transfers some heat to the tank... and gets hotter over time. Ceramic bearings may seize in a few (2+) years.

GinKu
05-05-2003, 06:44 AM
do not buy it mine exploded and almost had a melt down
thank gawd i was home before it caught on fire
never will i every get that again
u get what u pay for

my next pump will probably be a little giant!

Van down by the river
05-07-2003, 11:56 AM
They have changed the design on the Quietone a few times and a redesigned pump series is coming out now. I'm hoping that any isues have been resoved with the newly designed series.
They used to only have the one size 1140/gph @0head now there is a whole range of sizes. As to reliability I have used over 40 quiet ones and have had a problem with 4 or 5. It almost seems it may have been a bad run at the factory as they were all bought around the same period. Their were a few different internal changes with the biege/maroon versions.
I have a few quiet ones going on 8 or 9 years, cleaning them once a year or so seems to prolong their life.
I do find that excessive back pressure will cause them to heat up to hot to touch. I also recommend that if they are not in use, remove them from the system, then clean and flush with fresh water. Don't let them sit. As far as noise goes they are the quietest pump around. Most of the bad ones are from the old colour series,maroon motor with biege front. Pinpoint imperfections in the stainless steel inner casing would seep salt into the armature, eventually destroying the motor. This seemed to be corrected on the 2 tone blue models.

As to Little giants, They are work horses, but they too give off alot of heat. This can be a problem if they are inside a poorly ventilated cabinet. Some models require regular oiling, which most people overlook. They also break down,squeal, sieze, and are the noisiest thing going!

Unfortunately most pumps we use are repacked or slightly modified industrial/chemical pumps. So considerations for aquaium applications were not part of their design process.

I have used many brands of pumps over the years and Quiet Ones are still my favorite external pump.

I found this little survey on thekrib.com

Pump model liked disliked typical comments
===============================================
Rena C40 1 pond pump
Hydrothruster 3
Eheim 3 1 high quality
Quite One 11 6 quite, hot, defects, good value
Little Giant 4 5 powerful & loud?
Iwaki 1 5 loud?, MD series better than WMD
Magnum 350 1 not a real pump
MiniJets 1 circulation only
=========================================

fredfish
05-07-2003, 09:33 PM
I would have to agree with you van. I had some problems when I first purchased it which the factory took care of despite the fact that I had the pump for 1 year before using it.

I have had mine going for almost 10 years now.

Fred.

GinKu
05-07-2003, 10:57 PM
i've finnaly got some guts to call lifegard to talk about my warranty on replacing my pump and told him what exactly happen
and he told me to send him a email about the info and stuff and he would be more then gladly to replace the pump for a new one

man am i shock,
i will do more business with them if they continuing giving good service

Van down by the river
05-08-2003, 10:49 AM
Generally I find them very to be very helpful.

Veng68
10-08-2003, 10:17 PM
anyone use the ocean runners by Aquamedic? I heard that htey are pretty good.

Cheers,
Victor Veng68