PDA

View Full Version : WTB Filter Sock - Making a Flatworm Vacumm

b_james
08-02-2006, 03:36 PM
Where can I get a filter sock that will attached to a 1.5" pipe? My plan is to create a vacuum by attaching a small length of rigid pipe with the end flattened to increase the inlet velocity to a longer piece of flex pipe that will connect to my overflow pipe to divert all overflow water through the vacuum. Next I will attached a filter sock to the other end of the 1.5" overflow pipe in the sump located in the basement to trap all the flat worms as I attemp to vacuum these guys off my LR and sand. Lastly the filter sock will be disposed.

howdy20012002
08-02-2006, 03:55 PM
what about panty hose?

b_james
08-02-2006, 04:28 PM
Serious? Never thought of that... Next question, will I have the guts to go into a panty hose store alone. :redface:

howdy20012002
08-02-2006, 04:45 PM
lol...You can do it.
just tell the clerk that they will go well with the dress u just bought.

Kabong
08-02-2006, 06:01 PM
If you give them a few minutes after you suck them up they usually will attach to the sides of the bucket.
Then you can just dump the water back in the tank and they'll stick to the side of the bucket.

b_james
08-02-2006, 06:27 PM
I was thinking of keeping the system running - becasue the overflow will be bypassed and diverted through the vacuum, the filter sock will catch the worms while allowing the water to circulate through the system, this way I can take as long as I need to do a good job. My first attemp was vacuuming the sand and rocks using a syphon - but I ended up syphoning too much water out of the system and it didnt allow me enough time to do a thorough job. All my water chage water is created with RO water ahead of time, therefore I have to be carefull not to export too much water a any give time.

Quagmire
08-02-2006, 11:37 PM
Serious? Never thought of that... Next question, will I have the guts to go into a panty hose store alone. :redface:

Get some tampons at the same time and you won't even notice the pantyhose.:redface: learned that from experiance.

christyf5
08-03-2006, 12:05 AM
Get some tampons at the same time and you won't even notice the pantyhose.:redface: learned that from experiance.

:rofl: