PDA

View Full Version : Lost Fish due to faulty heater

Glennrf38
08-01-2006, 04:01 PM
This morning I lost 3 fish due to a heat spike (89 F) from my heater screwing up:cry: ............. Some of the coral also looks pretty bad. I'm guessing some of the coral died and caused a spike in the levels. Oh well just thought I'd share this with someone. Good news is that they were inexpensive fish.

Glenn

andrewsk
08-01-2006, 04:50 PM
Oh that sucks. What kind of heater was it?

Did Spike make it?

This morning I lost 3 fish due to a heat spike (89 F) from my heater screwing up:cry: ............. Some of the coral also looks pretty bad. I'm guessing some of the coral died and caused a spike in the levels. Oh well just thought I'd share this with someone. Good news is that they were inexpensive fish.

Glenn

Glennrf38
08-01-2006, 05:28 PM
Oh that sucks. What kind of heater was it?

Did Spike make it?

Spike made it so far and so did the emerald crab. Lost a couple of corals. Unsure what the heater was. I could look I guess. I bought a new titanium II yesterday so hopefully that will help.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-01-2006, 07:16 PM
I took out my heaters a couple of months ago. Never use them in the summer & don't leave them plugged in just in case of something like this happening.

b_james
08-01-2006, 08:01 PM
This is exacally whie I have never run heaters in the past, Now Im forced to because without my tank temp maxes out at between 69-70F.:cry:

Quagmire
08-01-2006, 11:36 PM
Glenn,when you replace your heater,think about using 2 smaller sized rather than 1 large size.Say if maybe you need a 200w heater,go with 2 100 or 150's.
That way if 1 stays on you will have less chance of cooking your tank.

Rikko
08-02-2006, 03:19 AM
I've had a few incidents with my freshwater tanks over the years.. From now on, any tank that is big enough (and also cost enough money to get going) has 2 small heaters in it instead of one big one. A single heater misfiring simply won't heat up the tank enough to cause a disaster.

Glennrf38
08-02-2006, 03:23 AM
Got one of those fancy ass Titanium II 150W. Instead of the 250W I had in there. Supposedly if the titanium goes bad it shuts itself off completely.

revgeoff
08-02-2006, 03:31 AM
I picked up a titanium as well...great heater. I had to replace mine when my I woke up to a nasty smell and a heater that was in two pieces. Lots of dead fish, corals and every single invert in the tank. I'll never go back to glass heaters!

Glennrf38
08-02-2006, 03:42 AM
Crap I feel for you.....

I picked up a titanium as well...great heater. I had to replace mine when my I woke up to a nasty smell and a heater that was in two pieces. Lots of dead fish, corals and every single invert in the tank. I'll never go back to glass heaters!