PDA

View Full Version : Anybody want Xenia elongata?

canadawest
11-17-2001, 02:48 PM
I will be at the meeting tomorrow, and I have a couple frags of Xenia that I can bring. These are large and healthy frags, and only $5 each.

For those with relatively new tanks, or for those who are looking for some movement, this is a good coral. Just keep it pruned back.

I need to know before Sunday 12noon, otherwise they'll go to LFS's.

SuperFudge
11-21-2001, 08:28 PM
Yup!

I want Xenia......I want it to die a miserable death,every single mutating polyp!And take some flatworms with it to the abyss!

Sorry....My RedSea pom pom xenia in my frag tank decided to spawn,and now i have atleast 40-50 single F^%#ing polyps spread through out my display!.......according to Andrew`s growth comparisons,My girlfriend and i have about 48 hrs to live.

Im gonna have to use DDT or something to get rid of all the pests in my tank! images/smiles/icon_mad.gif

Anonymous.

christyf5
11-21-2001, 08:34 PM
Hey you should just get a nudibranch to die in your tank. Thats what mine did and I think it nuked all my xenia. Everyone else survived. I've done two water changes since tues night. What a pain in the butt! Stupid nudibranch. images/smiles/icon_mad.gif

DJ88
11-21-2001, 08:49 PM
Ouch Christy.. sorry to hear it.. images/smiles/icon_sad.gif images/smiles/icon_sad.gif Been there doing water changes.. Know how much fun it is doing one after another..

Tho I will side with the anonymous poster images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

WEED's I SAY!!!!!!!!!!! lol..

[ 21 November 2001: Message edited by: DJ88 ]

SuperFudge
11-21-2001, 10:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by christyf5:
Hey you should just get a nudibranch to die in your tank.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OOOhhh boy,Dont tempt me! images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Marc..errrr...whoops,let the cat out of the bag images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

FlameAngel
11-21-2001, 11:08 PM
This is actually a serious concern.
What do you do with XENIA (elongota).. it's everywhere. I think I have like 40 stalks... should you prune like a tree?

FlameAngel

reefburnaby
11-22-2001, 12:31 AM
40...wow.

If you prune it like a tree...they will grow back. I am assuming...you don't want that right ?

After you prune it...take a sharp instrument (knife, fork, spoon and etc) and try to remove as much of the xenia's base as possible.

The pruned xenia can be mounted on a small rock and you can trade or sell the coral.

I would advise you do this soon because too many stalk's of the same xenia type can cause your tank to crash.

Hope that helps.

- Victor.

One_Divided
11-22-2001, 03:21 PM
cause your tank to crash? how's that possible?

reefburnaby
11-22-2001, 05:00 PM
It is commonly theorized that due to xenia's high growth rate, that it must comsume a lot of vitamines, nutrients and food. Another assumption is that one type of xenia (from the same parent) will consume a specific subset of nutrients in a reef. So, if those were true, then a large mass of one specific type of xenia can deplete a specific nutrient from an enclosed reef...to the point where it will parish. The other corals will be fine, but that particular strain of xenia is toast.

This is another theory of mine...and it is also one of many theories floating around. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I guess...diversity is the key. If you like xenias...then you should try to keep different types of xenias (pom pom, elongota and etc).

There is more theories and more info in reefs.org and reefcentral regarding this.

Hope that helps. Do you have any theories to why xenias crash over time ?

- Victor.

[ 22 November 2001: Message edited by: reefburnaby ]

canadawest
11-22-2001, 05:09 PM
Hey Marc, you wanna trade some Pom Pom for Elongata?

(I'm actually serious even though I like to poke fun at Xenia, I kinda enjoy them)

If you're not interested in Elongata, let me know when you have a cutting of Pom Pom, I'll take it.

DJ88
11-22-2001, 05:14 PM
Oh marc has LOTS of pom pom.. don't ya marc?

Is your tank waving at you yet? hee hee

SuperFudge
11-22-2001, 06:31 PM
Hiya Andrew,

Gimme a couple of months and ill have a garbage can full fer ya!

Actually,i dont have any at this time that i wish to part with,im still trying to propagate from the few colonies i do have.
It is much slower growing than elongata,and doesnt branch as often,so it takes me a little more time to get frags going.

I should be able to help you out in a little while tho(month?),Marc.

Samw
11-28-2001, 05:37 AM
I got a Xenia from Andrew about 2 months ago. It seems to be doing fine. However, when I first had just live rock in the tank, the Xenia didn't pulsate much. Last week, I added some Caribsea aragonite and now it is pulsating like crazy. Is there a correlation somewhere or is it just coincidental?

canadawest
11-28-2001, 12:26 PM
Only thing I can think of is that aragonite acts as a buffer to help maintain constant pH and Alk levels. I know that when the Alk levels fall in my tank, the Xenia stop pulsing.

I don't even check Alk in my tank anymore, I just use my living test kit, the Xenia.

canadawest
11-29-2001, 10:51 PM
Probably the Alk level like I mentioned in the above post. Check your Alk, and see if it's low. It should read between 3-5 Meg/L(10-15 dKH)

If it's below this, add some buffer to your tank to slowly raise it over a couple day period. Also check your pH as well, as raising the Alk often causes the pH to shift. You might find if your Alk is low, your pH is too high anyway. Raising your Alk level should cause your pH to fall and stabilize.

Just my best guess...

BCReefer
11-30-2001, 04:39 AM
Andrew, thanks for the frag of the Xenia. 1 question, its open and seems to be happy but it is not pulsing. Is there any special reason why. Maybe too much water current? It is not directly in the flow but it is swaying a little.

Patrick

Samw
12-29-2001, 03:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by canadawest:
I will be at the meeting tomorrow, and I have a couple frags of Xenia that I can bring. These are large and healthy frags, and only $5 each.

For those with relatively new tanks, or for those who are looking for some movement, this is a good coral. Just keep it pruned back.

I need to know before Sunday 12noon, otherwise they'll go to LFS's.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Andrew, my Xenia was growing great since I got it from you in Sept until my Kalk overdose yesterday. Do you have any more to sell? I might need another one from you if my current one doesn't pull through.

[ 28 December 2001: Message edited by: Sam W ]

canadawest
12-29-2001, 05:26 AM
Come by next week (after New Years) and I'll give you another frag if yours doesn't make it. (Andrew's Xenia guarantee?) images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Again though, sorry to hear about your tank mishap. images/smiles/icon_sad.gif