PDA

View Full Version : Kent Pro Scraper

SJSobczyk
07-31-2006, 05:07 PM
Anyone seen one in Calgary? Looking for the 24" version. Once again its sucks that BA's is gone because i would of spent $4 extra bucks on the scraper, but could of saved $10 in gas.

Thanks

Steve

Delphinus
07-31-2006, 05:26 PM
All together now! Bring Big Als Back! Bring Big Al's Back! Bring Big Al's Back!

... seriously, I don't care if it's Big Al's or not, but *somebody* should totally open a store in the south. Maybe Albert and Dennis should franchise out a "Gold Aquariums -- the sequel" or something.

And yeah, I know the last time I whined about this, people in Tuktoyuktuk complained that they have a 57 hour drive to their nearest LFS (or something .. I don't remember) and I'm sure that sucks too, but the fact is, this about *me* feeling sorry for myself, not me feeling sorry for them!! I live in Calgary, we just hit 1 million people (hooray us), but we can't have a LFS in the south end of the city!

Wah, wah. Sigh ... anyhow just thought I'd mention that I feel your pain there Steve. :lol:

RobbAdams
07-31-2006, 08:09 PM
We need a south side reefing Co-Op. I have seen this with cichlids in the states. rent a warehouse fill it with tanks etc they breed house stock and sell it to help maintain the overhead.

I don't think it would really work for Marine as the electrical costs are way to high for halide etc

Robb

andrewsk
07-31-2006, 08:41 PM
Is it the fish/corals you went to see, or just the equipment and supplies you needed because Big Al's was a fish death trap.

If I was going to open a store in the south, I would really want to go the Aquarium Illusions route where they have a totally seperate quarantine system and do not release fish for sale for about 4 weeks after they are recieved.

I have never gotten a fish from them that had any problems. They are more expensive, sure, but factor in any of your losses and it easily covers itself.

When I go into WAI's once in a while (Golds is the best in the city IMHO) I always get frustrated by the condition of the fish and the HUGE mortality rate of everything I have ever bought there. Add to that the insane cost for the fish (they are priced like they have been quarantined for 3 months!) and this for me is the recipe for how not to run a store.

Anyways. End RANT.

All together now! Bring Big Als Back! Bring Big Al's Back! Bring Big Al's Back!

... seriously, I don't care if it's Big Al's or not, but *somebody* should totally open a store in the south. Maybe Albert and Dennis should franchise out a "Gold Aquariums -- the sequel" or something.

And yeah, I know the last time I whined about this, people in Tuktoyuktuk complained that they have a 57 hour drive to their nearest LFS (or something .. I don't remember) and I'm sure that sucks too, but the fact is, this about *me* feeling sorry for myself, not me feeling sorry for them!! I live in Calgary, we just hit 1 million people (hooray us), but we can't have a LFS in the south end of the city!

Wah, wah. Sigh ... anyhow just thought I'd mention that I feel your pain there Steve. :lol:

Canadbis
07-31-2006, 09:24 PM
There is a petland or something down south there...isn't there??
AAHAHAHAHA
Sorry Tony I had to...

Richard_Dicosimo
07-31-2006, 10:06 PM
i swear to god i heard that there was a store opening in the south.
think pisces will ever have slatwater again?
there is a new store in the north west however swung by there today.
and im with andrewsk on big als being a death trap and golds being the best in town.

Richard

Ruth
07-31-2006, 10:32 PM
499All together now! Bring Big Als Back! Bring Big Al's Back! Bring Big Al's Back!

Oh Whah

Delphinus
07-31-2006, 10:41 PM
Is it the fish/corals you went to see, or just the equipment and supplies you needed because Big Al's was a fish death trap.

Seriously, it was just the idea that they were there, that I'd get the urge to go pay the LFS's a visit (all or any of them, not just BA's). Now that there's nothing nearby, I lose that little bit of motivation.

They weren't perfect, but let's be realistic. No LFS is. There are some places that are better than others, for sure, but they all have good days, and they all have bad days. That's reality.

What sets aparts one LFS from another, in my opinion, is the customer service. As a customer you know when you're treated right (or wrong, for that matter) and that's what you're going to remember. It's funny though, how some people have great experiences with one store that others have terrible experiences with. I guess it's human nature -- you get along with some people, and won't get along with others.

So anyhow, yeah I do miss Big Al's, but not because they were the "perfect" LFS, but because they were the "perfectly located LFS" for me.

If I was going to open a store in the south, I would really want to go the Aquarium Illusions route where they have a totally seperate quarantine system and do not release fish for sale for about 4 weeks after they are recieved.

Why limit that idea to the south? :razz: I'd love to see more LFS's adopt that kind of approach.

Delphinus
07-31-2006, 10:43 PM

Oh Whah
How are them mosquitoes up there Ruth? I hear the NWT Air Show is not to be missed! :p

Ruth
07-31-2006, 11:03 PM
He He He..........couldn't resist Tony - Tuktoyuktuk - pluuueeessse.

kari
08-01-2006, 12:30 PM
Are you guys busing it?

SJSobczyk
08-01-2006, 04:50 PM
Not to jump off topic or anything, but does anyone know where to grab one of these. I have an overgrowth of coraline covering everything and i need something to tame it back.

Steve

Pescador
08-01-2006, 05:43 PM
Give Wai's a call. I thought I saw them up there.

SJSobczyk
08-01-2006, 05:45 PM
Thanks Man. I better get ready for the bank account to get **ed!

Steve

G1GY
08-01-2006, 06:35 PM

Steve
** is such a strong word.
Try and think of it as "unwanted love" or "supprise sex" when you go in there and it won't hurt so much. :)

andrewsk
08-01-2006, 06:38 PM

Steve
Ask him to match the price from JL Aquatics. He says that he does that. I would be interested to see if it's true.

Keith

impreza
08-01-2006, 10:02 PM
Ask him to match the price from JL Aquatics. He says that he does that. I would be interested to see if it's true.

Keith

Can I watch as you ask him that question? :lol::mrgreen:

danny zubot
08-01-2006, 10:51 PM

Better yet, ask him if you can buy a frag of an acro.:mrgreen:

Tony, I live right up the hill from BA's you know. You could come by whenever you feel lonely.:razz:

andrewsk
08-02-2006, 07:08 AM
Can I watch as you ask him that question? :lol::mrgreen:

Honestly, what keeps this guy in business?

Is it a front or something?

Everything in the store is sick (There were 4 purple tangs all with HLLE, large angels with popeye, open sores) yet the tanks are incredibly clean. I have NEVER bought a fish from them that lived more than a week.

Compare that to Golds/JL Aquatics/Aquarium Illusions where nearly all of my fish are still happy and healthy.

and his prices are through the roof!

Anyone......?

EmilyB
08-02-2006, 07:56 AM
I don't go thru grief over buying something. J&L will mail it to my doorstep.

Canadian Man
08-16-2006, 03:22 AM
Exactally
Save your self some gas money!

AJ_77
08-16-2006, 03:56 AM
HEY - it's CAN MAN! Got the bug for a nano yet, Jon? :p

Cap'n
08-16-2006, 05:56 AM
Bet one of you two lurkers has a tank up and running in less than 12 months.

What's this thread about again?

muck
08-21-2006, 03:02 PM
Holey!!!!
Jon how goes things..?? :biggrin: