PDA

View Full Version : First Try at Aquascaping

Glennrf38
07-30-2006, 03:37 PM
Well I'm not really happy with it. That said I need to add more rock to the bottom right side to make it look a bit better. What do you think?

http://www.warops.com/aquarium/DSC00987.JPG

RobbAdams
07-30-2006, 04:25 PM
I think it looks pretty cool, I assume you did this with some sort of PVC Frame?

Robb

BMW Rider
07-30-2006, 04:29 PM
Looks pretty neat actually. Just be sure that its solid and won't collapse.

albert_dao
07-30-2006, 04:45 PM
Looks a LOT better to me! I actually think you have enough rock as it stands. Too much rock will just distort what you've created.

One thing you can do to help fill out the look is try to attach corals to the sides of the rock structure vs. trying to stack everything on flat, horizontal surfaces. Epoxy should be helpful towards this.

Glennrf38
07-30-2006, 04:47 PM
Looks a LOT better to me! I actually think you have enough rock as it stands. Too much rock will just distort what you've created.

One thing you can do to help fill out the look is try to attach corals to the sides of the rock structure vs. trying to stack everything on flat, horizontal surfaces. Epoxy should be helpful towards this.

I tried the epoxy and it just doesn't seem to hold. What is the secret ohhhh mighty one :biggrin:

Glennrf38
07-30-2006, 04:48 PM
Looks pretty neat actually. Just be sure that its solid and won't collapse.

I had it done the other night but I went to put the new 620 ph in and I had a "little" landslide. On this one most of the rock is zip tied onto the pvc frame

albert_dao
07-30-2006, 04:48 PM
Epoxy isn't sticky, that's the bugger. You'd do well to let it stiffen up for a couple minutes before trying to mold it underwater.

Glennrf38
07-30-2006, 04:50 PM
Epoxy isn't sticky, that's the bugger. You'd do well to let it stiffen up for a couple minutes before trying to mold it underwater.

Tried that too. What else would you suggest?

Glennrf38
07-30-2006, 04:58 PM
How often is it "safe" to change the rock formation around?

albert_dao
07-30-2006, 05:00 PM
Tried that too. What else would you suggest?

what kind or corals are you trying to attach? Frags or full colonies?

I change my rock formations around all the time. Just note that the longer you leave things untouched, the better they'll do.

Glennrf38
07-30-2006, 05:02 PM
what kind or corals are you trying to attach? Frags or full colonies?

I change my rock formations around all the time. Just note that the longer you leave things untouched, the better they'll do.

So far just the stuff I got from you. 3 frags, 2 bigger ones. I really need to write what these things are...............:twised:

Chaloupa
07-30-2006, 05:50 PM
I think it's very interesting...not your typical "pile of rock" has lots of potential for adding corals to change the appearance...I like it...:biggrin:

Glennrf38
07-30-2006, 06:08 PM
Thanks for all the positives. I was thinking that it looked bad....... once again I'm wrong LOL

Dale
07-31-2006, 04:41 AM
It looks OK to me as well. I like the asymmetry. I always appreciate when someone tries something different.
That said, perhaps adding a bit more rock to screen right (the thin bottom) but slanted towards the rear of the tank (where the clown is) to add a sense of depth. But really, it's six of one/half dozen of the other. Once the Coraline kicks in you will be happier too.
________
herbalire vaporizer review (http://herbalairevaporizer.com)