PDA

View Full Version : Movin' on up

RobbAdams
07-28-2006, 09:38 PM
I am going to pick up a 90 tonight, this is triple the size of my current 28 gallon bowfront. I will be going to a sump/fuge based system, but have no idea how they really work. I am also planning to run some sort of closed loop/SCWD type of thing for flow

The tank is currently un-drilled, but I am planning on drilling it. Is there any advantage to a bottom drilled over-flow Vs a rear drilled over-flow?

I am planning on a 3 ft 50 gallon for the sump with :

-1/3 for skimmers & Equipment(Aqua-c remora, a CPR Bak Pak 2 and heaters)

-1/3 for a fuge type area (all my currently grape macro infested rock)

-1/3 for the return area

Do you think these 2 skimmers wil be able to keep a 90 reasonably clean?

What type of plumbing is suggested (size of overflow, returns, pumps Etc.)

I'm not a millionaire, but I am willing to spend money to make things work right.

This will probably turn into a long thread as i go through each step with a million questions over the next couple of months.

My current set up is really simple (Tank Lights Heater Skimmer PH's) so I am a little out of my element.

Your help/advise is greatly appreciated.

Robb

danny zubot
07-28-2006, 10:07 PM
Once you have decided what return pump you will use, most likely in the neighborhood of 1200 gph, use the link below to find your overflow size.

http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/drain.php

There is another calculator to find out head loss of your return pump too.

Are your skimmers both hang on type? If not I don't think 12" will be enough room for two skimmers and two heaters. IMO sell both of those and put the money toward 1 bigger skimmer.

RobbAdams
07-28-2006, 10:23 PM
They are both hang on skimmers, I plan to hang them both on the end of the Sump/'Fuge

RobbAdams
07-28-2006, 10:28 PM
1200 for the return, and 1200 for the closed loop? or 1200 total?

Robb

danny zubot
07-28-2006, 10:54 PM
The closed loop will not add or diminish the flow through your sump. So you only want to count the GPH for the return pump.

They are both hang on skimmers, I plan to hang them both on the end of the Sump/'Fuge

That sounds like it should work then, less clutter in the sump.

RobbAdams
07-29-2006, 12:30 AM
ok, the 1200gph is based on the size of my tank or the size of my sump, or a combination of both?

albert_dao
07-29-2006, 03:34 AM
Hey Rob, come by if you get a chance and I can go through all the plumbing with examples for you. Really easy stuff.

Anyway, I'll answer what I can here, sans live examples:

Do you think these 2 skimmers wil be able to keep a 90 reasonably clean?

They are, but if you get the chance, upgrade to a proper skimmer. A properly sized Euroreef or ASM skimmer will knock the socks off of any two, even three hang-ons put together.

What type of plumbing is suggested (size of overflow, returns, pumps Etc.)

I'm going to strongly suggest that you skip drilling the bottom of the tank and instead install a side overflow. This is pretty easy, just get the glas cut for a box, drill 1.5" holes in the back (that's right, holes, you'll want two - more in a bit on this), glue in the box and install bulkheads. Drilling the upper side of a tank doesn't comprimise the structural integrity of the tank, the same is not true for the bottom. Ideally, the overflow box should be 12" long, 4-5" wide and 8" tall for best results.

Now for the two holes. Using two holes will allow for a silent overflow, check Keith's (andrewsk) thread for more info on this: http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25427&page=8

The basic idea there being that one hole (the one with the standpipe) acts as an emergency drain in the advent that the main drain (the one with the grill) clogs. The main drain has a valve at the exit that you throttle down just until the water level is a bit shy of the emergency standpipe. This keeps air out of the main drain while removing the drop that the water takes in a normal overflow. No air in the sump + no waterfall effect in the overflow = Silent system.

For pumps, I'm going to strongly recommend that you have your sump customized with a 2" hole at the return end. This gives you access to external pumps. External pumps > internal, no questions. No heat transfer, lower head-loss rates, easier to access and maintain (use true union valves when you plumb), lower noise issues, there really is no reason to use an internal unless you're limited by space or budget (the cost difference is about 25% for comparable pumps, with the externals being on the higher end).

You'll probably want to run anywhere from 500 to 900 gph, pending on how much flow you're going to get out of powerheads/closed loop within the main tank itself. Lower flow from main tank to sump being better (allows for a longer dwell time, a plus for skimmer performance). Since I'm at it, I'll also recommend a pump for you too: Sequence Reeflo Snapper. 500-2400 gph. Super silent, ultra reliable, plumbs with 1.5' tubing (AWESOME) and has a THREE YEAR WARRANTEE!!! The price is right too ($230-$250 CAD MSRP). The only down-side being that they arent pressure rated, but that's hardly an issue if the sump is directly below the tank on the same floor.

I'm not a millionaire, but I am willing to spend money to make things work right.

That's proper thinking when it comes to this hobby. All the newbies take note here :P

This will probably turn into a long thread as i go through each step with a million questions over the next couple of months.

It could be worse, you could be asking zero questions.

Hope that's of help. And like I said, drop by when you have the chance and I'll go over the nitty gritties of plumbing with you step-by step.

RobbAdams
07-29-2006, 05:33 AM
OK, there has been a bit of evolution for the time being, I got a great deal (Thanks Keith) on a CPR overflow rated at 1600 GPH, so I am going to try out this route unless someone advises against it. It seems by what I have gathered regarding this unit that it is the safest method, unless I was running a dual overflow. For a return pump, am I supposed to have a higher GPH for the overflow or the return?

I also am going to give this Coralife superskimmer (Again Thanks Keith)a go, it is the largest model I believe (based on mesurements from online stores). Is there a difference in performance weather it is places in sump, or hanging? Do you folks feel this skimmer will be sufficient?

Also Where can I get this "snapper" :mrgreen: I only see the Dart and Barracuda on J&L.

albert_dao
07-29-2006, 05:42 AM
Heh, here's a random google result:

http://diyreef.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=404

The gph is influenced by the max capacity of the overflow. Go lower if you can, with higher flow within the tank. SEIO's are a great economy choice, Tunze's are better.

Delphinus
07-29-2006, 05:44 AM
Albert has some great advice. The one point I might challenge him on is his recommendation for 1.5" holes for the overflows. Standard schedule-40 1" bulkheads require a 1.75" hole, IIRC. I'm pretty sure I've never seen a 1" bulkhead that would fit in a 1.5" hole. Schedule-80 bulkheads exist too and they require an even bigger hole. Unless he's thinking of smaller bulkheads?

I have a 1.75" drill bit for glass that you could borrow if you wanted. Drilling glass isn't too bad, I've done it many many times. I could help you out if you wanted.

andrewsk
07-29-2006, 05:50 AM
Hey Rob,

The skimmer should not really matter where it is placed. Just make sure it is only an inch or so from the water surface if you are not going to run it in a sump right away. that way it can get more of the JUNK from the surface.

The overflow will be PRETTY safe. The reason I had 2 is for redundancy and to reduce noise. (you throttle one back a bit to keep the water level in the overflow high, and let the other one handle the excess) . If you do decide to keep going with the overflow, I would get another one (It does not have to be as big) just for peice of mind. Ill let you know if I do not end up using my other one.

Keith

RobbAdams
07-29-2006, 06:08 AM
Just to be sure I am understanding this, if I use the CPR overflow rated at 1600 GPH I would want a return pump rated at less than 1600 gph at 4 ft of head right?

Robb

albert_dao
07-29-2006, 06:29 AM
Albert has some great advice. The one point I might challenge him on is his recommendation for 1.5" holes for the overflows. Standard schedule-40 1" bulkheads require a 1.75" hole, IIRC. I'm pretty sure I've never seen a 1" bulkhead that would fit in a 1.5" hole. Schedule-80 bulkheads exist too and they require an even bigger hole. Unless he's thinking of smaller bulkheads?

I have a 1.75" drill bit for glass that you could borrow if you wanted. Drilling glass isn't too bad, I've done it many many times. I could help you out if you wanted.

I meant 1.5" ID on installed bulkheads. I totally forgot about the bulkhead sizing. The holes should be 2" to accept 1.5" standard ABS bulkheads (IMO, PVC bulkheads are excessive since the sytem is not under pressure). But yeah,thanks for the spot Tony.

albert_dao
07-29-2006, 06:33 AM
Just to be sure I am understanding this, if I use the CPR overflow rated at 1600 GPH I would want a return pump rated at less than 1600 gph at 4 ft of head right?

Robb

This is correct.

RobbAdams
07-30-2006, 03:28 PM
OK next question,

I have probably 35-40 pounds of LR in my current setup, along with 2 Clowns, a Cleaner shrimp, and a starfish. Corals consist of some warty mushrooms, small orange plate coral, some xenia, some candycane, GSP a small hammer, and a finger leather.

Am I going to have a really hard time if I just stuff all this into my 90 and start it up? I was planning to buy say 15-20 pounds of LR a week until I have enough rock.

Would I be better of to not star putting my stuff in there until I have enough LR (Say 100 lbs)

Robb

albert_dao
07-30-2006, 04:46 PM
You'd be better off taking things slower. It can be done the other way, but why risk it?

Glennrf38
07-30-2006, 05:59 PM
That would mean me.........:redface:

Hey Rob, come by if you get a chance and I can go through all the plumbing with examples for you. Really easy stuff.

Anyway, I'll answer what I can here, sans live examples:

They are, but if you get the chance, upgrade to a proper skimmer. A properly sized Euroreef or ASM skimmer will knock the socks off of any two, even three hang-ons put together.

I'm going to strongly suggest that you skip drilling the bottom of the tank and instead install a side overflow. This is pretty easy, just get the glas cut for a box, drill 1.5" holes in the back (that's right, holes, you'll want two - more in a bit on this), glue in the box and install bulkheads. Drilling the upper side of a tank doesn't comprimise the structural integrity of the tank, the same is not true for the bottom. Ideally, the overflow box should be 12" long, 4-5" wide and 8" tall for best results.

Now for the two holes. Using two holes will allow for a silent overflow, check Keith's (andrewsk) thread for more info on this: http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25427&page=8

The basic idea there being that one hole (the one with the standpipe) acts as an emergency drain in the advent that the main drain (the one with the grill) clogs. The main drain has a valve at the exit that you throttle down just until the water level is a bit shy of the emergency standpipe. This keeps air out of the main drain while removing the drop that the water takes in a normal overflow. No air in the sump + no waterfall effect in the overflow = Silent system.

For pumps, I'm going to strongly recommend that you have your sump customized with a 2" hole at the return end. This gives you access to external pumps. External pumps > internal, no questions. No heat transfer, lower head-loss rates, easier to access and maintain (use true union valves when you plumb), lower noise issues, there really is no reason to use an internal unless you're limited by space or budget (the cost difference is about 25% for comparable pumps, with the externals being on the higher end).

You'll probably want to run anywhere from 500 to 900 gph, pending on how much flow you're going to get out of powerheads/closed loop within the main tank itself. Lower flow from main tank to sump being better (allows for a longer dwell time, a plus for skimmer performance). Since I'm at it, I'll also recommend a pump for you too: Sequence Reeflo Snapper. 500-2400 gph. Super silent, ultra reliable, plumbs with 1.5' tubing (AWESOME) and has a THREE YEAR WARRANTEE!!! The price is right too ($230-$250 CAD MSRP). The only down-side being that they arent pressure rated, but that's hardly an issue if the sump is directly below the tank on the same floor.

That's proper thinking when it comes to this hobby. All the newbies take note here :P

It could be worse, you could be asking zero questions.

Hope that's of help. And like I said, drop by when you have the chance and I'll go over the nitty gritties of plumbing with you step-by step.

RobbAdams
07-31-2006, 07:07 PM
So, I have decided to go with a Reflo "Snapper", as suggested by Albert.

I have a question regarding the design of my sump. There is a space beneath my stand that is about 18 inches across 23 inches tall, and about 26 inches deep I am panning to have a sump built for this space. things to consider:

1) Skimmer does not fit under the stand, but there is space behind the tank, where I could cut out a space so the skimmer will fit.

2) the pump I am going with is an external pump, so it also would require to be at the back of the tank

3) skimmer creates exessive amount of microbubbles so a baffle system is required.

4) I was hoping for a Refugeum area.

Any suggestions for a sump design that will fit within this footprint?

Robb

albert_dao
08-01-2006, 05:06 AM
So, I have decided to go with a Reflo "Snapper", as suggested by Albert.

I have a question regarding the design of my sump. There is a space beneath my stand that is about 18 inches across 23 inches tall, and about 26 inches deep I am panning to have a sump built for this space. things to consider:

1) Skimmer does not fit under the stand, but there is space behind the tank, where I could cut out a space so the skimmer will fit.

2) the pump I am going with is an external pump, so it also would require to be at the back of the tank

3) skimmer creates exessive amount of microbubbles so a baffle system is required.

4) I was hoping for a Refugeum area.

Any suggestions for a sump design that will fit within this footprint?

Robb

Those are some quirky dimensions...

RobbAdams
08-01-2006, 04:03 PM
I know, weird dimensions indeed, this is why I think a custom sump will be required.

RobbAdams
08-03-2006, 03:11 PM
OK I have drawn up a plan for a custom built sump. Here is what I am thinking:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d40/RobbAdams/20119549.jpg

Any one have any input as I am really just making this up as I go. Basically green is in from the cpr overflow 1 1/2 inch bulkead in overflow, so I thing it would be same for the piping?

Yellow is from the reeflo, whish is also 1 1/2 inch piping. I will be using some sort of a Valve to scale back the flow if required from the reeflo.

muck
08-03-2006, 03:34 PM
That last chamber is where you will notice the water level drop due to all the evap from your tank. The smaller the chamber the quicker your pump will start sucking air and frothing your tank up with bubbles. Unlesss you have an Auto-Top-Off unit you will be having major bubble issues in no time.

Another thing to keep in mind is you need to make sure you allow for power outages and the amount of water in your pipes and overflow backfilling into your sump. Your do not want the sump to overflow and you do not want any water getting into the dry area. Make sure those baffles are low enough and the rest is high enough where there is a slim to nil chance the water will not get to places its not supposed to be.

What size is the chamber for the "Fuge" spec'd at?

RobbAdams
08-03-2006, 04:30 PM
the fuge is is about 6x17 inches. should I just give up on the refugium idea and use this space for the holding area for the return water?

Robb

Midknight
08-03-2006, 05:11 PM
Or you could remove the sperator and fully submerg your return pump.

albert_dao
08-03-2006, 05:42 PM
Or you could use Zeovit and win big.

muck
08-03-2006, 05:43 PM
Or you could remove the sperator and fully submerg your return pump.

Not if he wants to go with a Sequence Snapper. :razz:

You may want to think about a submersable pump though. One major reason would be if you plumb in the Snapper like you have in the drawing you won't be able to take the pump offline to clean it without a lot of effort. Your design and space available would be a much better fit for a submersable pump IMO.

Midknight
08-03-2006, 05:52 PM
So that would be a smoke and magic thing then. When the smoke gets out the magic is gone. :lol:
Ok, so what is the hight of the sump and the hight of the stand?
Could you build something above the sump and place the return pump on that?

RobbAdams
08-03-2006, 06:21 PM
I have room on the back of the stand, what kind of performance loss can be expected due to the pump having to suck the water up 2 feet?

albert_dao
08-03-2006, 06:35 PM
Not if he wants to go with a Sequence Snapper. :razz:

You may want to think about a submersable pump though. One major reason would be if you plumb in the Snapper like you have in the drawing you won't be able to take the pump offline to clean it without a lot of effort. Your design and space available would be a much better fit for a submersable pump IMO.

You can clean external pumps easy. Just make sure both the inlet and the outlet are plumbed with true union valves.

muck
08-03-2006, 06:49 PM
You can clean external pumps easy. Just make sure both the inlet and the outlet are plumbed with true union valves.

Yes while true, Robb's design wouldn't have enough room to install a TU Valve before the pump.

albert_dao
08-03-2006, 06:55 PM
The solution is to redesign the sump.

muck
08-03-2006, 06:58 PM
Id love to see what you can come up with for that size space, Albert. :wink:

RobbAdams
08-03-2006, 07:15 PM
OK I have never had a sump, or designed one before, as you can tell. From what I can see on the sequence website, these pumps are not designed to suck, only push. This problem could be bridged by priming the line, but if I had a power failure, my cpr overflow would start up, but the reflo would not! So it looks like placing the pump above the sump is out of the picture.

Albert, we looked at another pomp, that was pressue rated, so i could possibly move my sump to the basement at a later time, but I forget what kind this was. Could you refresh my memory? can this pump suck/pull water?

I guess an internal pump may end up being the solution. Too bad , these reeflo pumps seem like a really good buy!:sad:

Robb

albert_dao
08-03-2006, 07:29 PM
There really isn't a pump in the hobby that I could recommend for sucking water. If you do want to go with an internal, Sedra's, IMO, are better than Mag Drives.

In anycase, I could probably whip up a sump for those dimensions, but you'd be using Zeovit, har har har.

muck
08-03-2006, 07:32 PM
In anycase, I could probably whip up a sump for those dimensions, but you'd be using Zeovit, har har har.

:lol: :lol:

albert_dao
08-03-2006, 07:35 PM
Okay, I drew one out on paper. Give me a few minutes to transfer it to a computer image.

albert_dao
08-03-2006, 08:07 PM
Okay

http://img309.imageshack.us/img309/6518/sumpcv2.th.gif (http://img309.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sumpcv2.gif)

GOD!

I had this whole explanation written up on the sump and the stupid browser closed on me. Piece of crap.

Anyway, here it is again:

I've narrowed the sump to 12" in order to get the Snapper in behind the whole thing (or the front if you want ease of maintainance). I've also plopped in a few upgraded equipments just for show. Aside from that, at 18" tall, you should be looking at a 25 gallon sump. If you're concerned about an overflow (power outtage), just make sure you plumb the return into a manifold that sits on top of the tank or suspended under the frame. This should reduce, if not remove, any drainage into the sump.

The last thing you'll need is a good auto top-off unit (PM me) and you'll be set.

Midknight
08-03-2006, 08:13 PM
What took you so long?

albert_dao
08-03-2006, 08:15 PM
What took you so long?

You gotta factor in "MSN chatting" and "eating" time when you do these things :P

RobbAdams
08-03-2006, 09:28 PM
Next question, How much would this cost me? Sans Zoevit (Sorry Albert, Im not sold on this yet) . I guess I could probably find a beat up old 25 gallon on buy'n'sell. Nah, I don't really know how to drill it, and I would still have to source all the rest of the glass to build the bafles etc.

I am still confused, I thought the baffles had to be before the snapper in order to prevent microbubbles from the skimmer getting pumped back into the display?

Midknight
08-03-2006, 09:32 PM
Hey Robb,

Check out Craigslist.com Lots of free stuff.
Have picked up lots of used/abused tanks and disasembed for parts.:wink:

albert_dao
08-03-2006, 11:41 PM
Next question, How much would this cost me? Sans Zoevit (Sorry Albert, Im not sold on this yet) . I guess I could probably find a beat up old 25 gallon on buy'n'sell. Nah, I don't really know how to drill it, and I would still have to source all the rest of the glass to build the bafles etc.

I am still confused, I thought the baffles had to be before the snapper in order to prevent microbubbles from the skimmer getting pumped back into the display?

The baffles are only at the drain. I've found that EuroReef skimmers produce almost zero microbubbles. If you are running into problems with micro bubbles, it's just a matter of making a bridge from the outlet of the ER into the initial drain compartment.

RobbAdams
08-09-2006, 04:59 AM
OK I am not really interested in moving up to an ER skimmer right away, as I have a coralife needlewheel skimmer to try first.:biggrin:

I have decided to move the sump to beside the tank instead of underneath it. The space there is not really any bigger but I have no overhead clearance issues, so it will be easier to get at , and hopefully will be a less daunting task for maintenance which should increase the chances of me keeping up with it.:redface:

What is the main advantage of an External return pump , instead of an internal MAG type? It just seems that plumbing an in sump return pump would be a lot easier?

Robb

Delphinus
08-09-2006, 05:05 AM
Externals transfer less heat to the tank, if nothing else. Not sure if there are other benefits. I guess if space is at a premium in the tank because of, say for example, using an insump skimmer, heater, baffles, etc. etc., then maybe external would be easier to work with, but then you have to deal with the plumbing and the space considerations for outside the sump. Six of one, half dozen of the other. I have two tanks right now and one of each, and to be honest I don't see any advantage that one has over the other in a "slam dunk" sense, I mean they each sort of work in their own way.

albert_dao
08-09-2006, 06:02 AM
Externals usually have much better tolerances to backpressure, at least the ones I work with do.

Fish
08-09-2006, 08:56 PM
Robb,

Are you not getting my PM's?
If you have changed your mind, at least let me know so I can sell it to someone else...

- Chad

RobbAdams
08-09-2006, 10:02 PM
pm'd you fish, sorry.

RobbAdams
08-17-2006, 03:18 PM
so just a bit of an update, perhaps I will add some pictures this evening.

The tank is up and running, and the sump will be online this weekend I hope.

Equipment update is as follows:

-90 gallon Tank (Thanks Keith)
-220 Gallon Super Skimmer(Thanks Keith)
-Coralife Lunar Aqualight(Thanks Keith)
-175 watt 10,000k Ushio MH (Future upgrade being evaluated)
-Gen-x PCX-40 (MAK 4) for return (Thanks Rahim)
-Tunze 6080 for flow
-Eductors and locline will be here on friday for the dual return
-got most of my plumbing supplies for the return (Thanks Albert)
-RO/DI , 100GPD (Thanks Keith)
-CS-150 (1600GPH) oveflow with Aqualifter (Thanks Keith)

Things I still need:

-Sump, I think I have a line on a couple for tonight:mrgreen:
-Heater
-Plumbing for overflow(Anyone see a problem with using Flex line for this?)
-water topoff unit (perhaps plumbed directly to my RO/DI)

Any further tips , suggestions feel free to post.

andrewsk
08-17-2006, 04:01 PM
Hey Robb,

As soon as I get my aquatronica set up I will be hooking up my 2 500 watt heaters and I should have a spare.

As for the Water Top off. I am not sure I would plumb it to my RO/DI. It CAN be setup using a float to go from the RO/DI if you wanted, or even into the topoff bucket, then the tank but here is the scary part :)

If your float ever screws up, you have an endless overfow potential from the RO/DI.

If you just hook the water top off to a 5 gallon bucket, the worst that could happen if there is a malfunction is the 5 extra gallons of water gets pumped into the tank.

so just a bit of an update, perhaps I will add some pictures this evening.

The tank is up and running, and the sump will be online this weekend I hope.

Equipment update is as follows:

-90 gallon Tank (Thanks Keith)
-220 Gallon Super Skimmer(Thanks Keith)
-Coralife Lunar Aqualight(Thanks Keith)
-175 watt 10,000k Ushio MH (Future upgrade being evaluated)
-Gen-x PCX-40 (MAK 4) for return (Thanks Rahim)
-Tunze 6080 for flow
-Eductors and locline will be here on friday for the dual return
-got most of my plumbing supplies for the return (Thanks Albert)
-RO/DI , 100GPD (Thanks Keith)
-CS-150 (1600GPH) oveflow with Aqualifter (Thanks Keith)

Things I still need:

-Sump, I think I have a line on a couple for tonight:mrgreen:
-Heater
-Plumbing for overflow(Anyone see a problem with using Flex line for this?)
-water topoff unit (perhaps plumbed directly to my RO/DI)

Any further tips , suggestions feel free to post.

albert_dao
08-17-2006, 04:07 PM
Hey Keith, did you already get the Aquatronica?

RobbAdams
08-17-2006, 04:28 PM
good point on the ATO, sound like I should forgo that. Keep me informed on the heater issue. You are becomming my LFS:mrgreen:

Robb

albert_dao
08-17-2006, 04:34 PM
Hey Robb,

As soon as I get my aquatronica set up I will be hooking up my 2 500 watt heaters and I should have a spare.

As for the Water Top off. I am not sure I would plumb it to my RO/DI. It CAN be setup using a float to go from the RO/DI if you wanted, or even into the topoff bucket, then the tank but here is the scary part :)

If your float ever screws up, you have an endless overfow potential from the RO/DI.

If you just hook the water top off to a 5 gallon bucket, the worst that could happen if there is a malfunction is the 5 extra gallons of water gets pumped into the tank.

Another option is to get a dual sensor solenoid top off on a controller.

andrewsk
08-17-2006, 04:51 PM
good point on the ATO, sound like I should forgo that. Keep me informed on the heater issue. You are becomming my LFS:mrgreen:

Robb

And who said there was no store in the South!!!!!!!!

RobbAdams
08-17-2006, 04:57 PM
that Tunze is amazing, I had to turn off the light in "disgust" after I turned it on and it stirrred up all that crap in my "cleaned" tank. Skimmer cup produced about a week worth of dark skimate when I got up this morning

(In my best robert duval voice:)

"I love the smell of skimate in the morning."

Robb

andrewsk
08-17-2006, 05:09 PM
Robb,

Post some pics of the tank. I am dying to my old baby in action.

albert_dao
08-17-2006, 06:10 PM
that Tunze is amazing, I had to turn off the light in "disgust" after I turned it on and it stirrred up all that crap in my "cleaned" tank. Skimmer cup produced about a week worth of dark skimate when I got up this morning

(In my best robert duval voice:)

"I love the smell of skimate in the morning."

Robb

Was I right or was I right?

RobbAdams
08-18-2006, 02:57 AM
OK I was down at my local RONA Store, and was haing trouble finding the fittings I need for my drain line, I am going with 1 1/2 inch drain to my sump. I found all the fittings I wanted in ABS with pipe instead of PVC. Does anyone forsee any problens with running the drain line using abs instead of PVC?

I am still running pvc for the return, and am aware that I need differentt glue for ABS.

Robb

albert_dao
08-18-2006, 03:03 AM
I've done it. No problems. Just don't use primer. Primer melts ABS right quick.

Squiddy
08-18-2006, 05:30 AM
You can't use the normal PVC glue either I don't think.

RobbAdams
08-18-2006, 11:49 PM
OK Here is the first picture of something, this is the return line and is my first time working with PVC alos shown is part of the drain line. I can't finish until I get the tank for my sump from Keith (Wink, Wink, Nudge , Nudge).

I wish I kinew how to use my camera, this makes my tank look like an algae farm, the water does not look like this at all?

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d40/RobbAdams/IMG_1535.jpg

and here is my CBB

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d40/RobbAdams/IMG_1536.jpg

Robb

RobbAdams
08-20-2006, 05:41 AM
How do i build a durso for a 1.5 inch drain in my CPR. I have read that you need to use a larger pipe diameter, however I thing the next size up is 2". I don't think it would all fit inside. The gurgling noise is going to make my wife crazy Help.

Robb

RobbAdams
08-30-2006, 12:10 AM
:mrgreen: well I think things are finaly almost finished after only 30 days I think I am close. I am still working on a lighting upgrade as I only was runing a single 175 MH over my old rig. and I need to build a proper canopy. Still wondering on the logistics of building a durso for a 1.5 inch drain. Will post some updated Pics Later tonight

midgetwaiter
08-30-2006, 12:24 AM
Try a stockman style standpipe instead.

RobbAdams
08-30-2006, 04:18 AM
Here are some pics of the setup as promised.

Full Tank shot:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d40/RobbAdams/IMG_1603.jpg

Sump Beside Tank:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d40/RobbAdams/IMG_1612.jpg

Current Ghetto lighting setup with halide only on one side of tank:redface:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d40/RobbAdams/IMG_1611.jpg

albert_dao
08-30-2006, 04:20 AM
Yo Rob,

Check these out:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=810830&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

RobbAdams
08-30-2006, 04:25 AM
Line up at the local cleaning station:mrgreen:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d40/RobbAdams/IMG_1608.jpg

Candycanes that just don't seem to want to inflate as much as usual lately:question:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d40/RobbAdams/IMG_1618.jpg

Zoa Rock with some neat blue sponges growing in.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d40/RobbAdams/IMG_1620.jpg

RobbAdams
08-30-2006, 04:27 AM
closer pic with my crappy 1 megapixel camera of Sponges:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d40/RobbAdams/IMG_1628.jpg