PDA

View Full Version : Chiller Died - What to do now?

Jaws
07-28-2006, 03:03 PM
Well, one of the worst things that can happen this time of year has happened. My chiller isn't working. It's still on all the time, it tries to pull the temperature down but it just ends up heating the water now instead of cooling it. It tries for about a minute or two with no luck and then makes a big clunking sound like it always did when it shuts off and it's done. Despite the fact that I oiled the fan heavily when I had it apart yesterday and the fan worked perfectly when I put it back together but has since stopped. When I watch it I notice that it does start moving the fan very slowly when it’s turning on but barely. I’ve tried giving it a boost by spinning the fan manually with some forceps or something. It spins fairly easily with help but then stops again. The temperature is steady at 85 and the lights aren't even on yet. What can I do? HELP!

Aquattro
07-28-2006, 03:21 PM
exactly my issue. For now, I put a floor fan directly in front of it and` that keeps it working. I'm going to order the replacement soon, we can double up if you want. But for now, put a fan right in front of the front opening. Mine is keeping the tank at 79 this way ( where I set it)

Jaws
07-28-2006, 03:32 PM
I've got a massive fan sitting right in front of it and it isn't working at all. I think my condenser is shot. Even with the fan it's still running at 84 and it isn't going down.

Aquattro
07-28-2006, 03:41 PM
have you cleaned out the fins on the condenser? Also, the fan I have is almost inside the unit. I also put a fan across the back to evacuate the hot air coming out

Jaws
07-28-2006, 03:56 PM
Has yours always made a loud clunk when it shuts off Brad?

Aquattro
07-28-2006, 03:57 PM
Has yours always made a loud clunk when it shuts off Brad?
it oftens makes that loud clunk, always has.

Jaws
07-28-2006, 04:19 PM
So I put one fan in front of it and one fan behind it and it's still kicking off at 82. I think the water has got a bit hotter since I plugged the chiller back in too.

Aquattro
07-28-2006, 04:22 PM
mine took a while to drop down, but it does now stay at 79

Jaws
07-28-2006, 07:48 PM
When I left the house this morning, it was starting to drop slowly. I placed a cold air fan right in the front and another fan behind it to dispose of the hot air like you said. It seemed to be working. What is it that I'll need to replace?

Aquattro
07-28-2006, 08:47 PM
What is it that I'll need to replace?

The motor for the fan needs to be replaced, $45 +s/h.

Jaws
07-29-2006, 12:06 AM
When do you want to place the order? ASAP?

Robw
07-29-2006, 03:40 AM
I have a pacific coast chiller 1/10hp (should have gone bigger). The fan started to make noise and I discovered that a cheap white fan from walmart had the same type of motor. Shaft size, mounting holes etc were all the same. Don't have the model number of the fan but it was a two speed, small 6-8" clip on type fan. I used the high speed winding. It has been working fine for about 9 months now. Might be worth a look. Hope this helps.

Rob

StirCrazy
07-29-2006, 04:51 PM
I have a pacific coast chiller 1/10hp (should have gone bigger). The fan started to make noise and I discovered that a cheap white fan from walmart had the same type of motor. Shaft size, mounting holes etc were all the same. Don't have the model number of the fan but it was a two speed, small 6-8" clip on type fan. I used the high speed winding. It has been working fine for about 9 months now. Might be worth a look. Hope this helps.

Rob

If you can remember what fan that was or if you see it next time you are in wallmart and can grab the part number that would be cool.

Steve

Robw
07-30-2006, 06:53 AM
The one I ripped apart had the rotary switch on the back. I have a similar one that is a desktop type fan. Brand is "Super" model # 6dt, made in china.

Rob