PDA

View Full Version : Large water changes without cycling

Luke
07-28-2006, 04:13 AM
Hey all,

Due to stupidity on my part (read: over-feeding), I now have a problem with high nitrates in my tank (10 gallon nano; Fluval 3 filter with floss; appr. 15 pound live rock with appr. 2 inch live crushed coral bed). The question I have is: how often can I do relatively large water changes (40-50%) to lower my nitrates without cycling my tank again? Any help would be greatly appreciated; thank you in advance.

Luke

TheReefGeek
07-28-2006, 04:22 AM
The fluval might be your problem with nitrates.

I would do 25% changes once a week or a bit more often, it all depends on how high your nitrates are.

marie
07-28-2006, 04:28 AM
I've done 50% water changes twice a week for a few weeks with no problem (using well aged water) and it will help drop your nitrates faster then 25% but you might want to find out whats causing the nitrates first

StirCrazy
07-28-2006, 04:49 AM
you can do 100% water changes and you will not recycle the tank.. the amount of bacteria is insignificant compare to what is in your coral and rock.

Steve

Ruth
07-28-2006, 12:07 PM
In my 2 unskimmed Nano's I do 50-75% water changes once a week with no problems.

Beverly
07-28-2006, 01:54 PM
Clean the living heck out of the media in your Fluval at least once a week in outgoing changewater to remove all the crud. Siphoning the crushed coral while doing the water change will also help. Large water changes are fine, but try to match pH and temp between the new and old water so the livestock isn't shocked.

Skimmerking
07-29-2006, 02:56 AM
I would take the floss out of the fluval and fill it with rubble and carbon. then you will not hav eanother problem , well shouldnt. THe CC in the tank I would loose it and do a finer sand to help out with the nitrates.

hope that helps.

Luke
07-31-2006, 12:14 AM
Hey,

Thanks all for the suggestions; I both cleaned out the filter and vaccuumed the substrate during a water change. Things appear to be relatively back to normal.

Luke