PDA

View Full Version : Don't go on holidays

rusty
07-27-2006, 10:48 PM
Well I got back from holidays :biggrin: I had fun, lots of sun! But.... I come back to see that the heat wave we had claimed almost all my coral!:cry: I guess the house and the tank got too hot. No fish died but almost all SPS, all my LPS...Done!!! Very discouraging!!! not sure what I want to do now. Just thought I would throw this outthere to encourage people to buy chillers!!!!! I know if I continue I will.

mr_alberta
07-27-2006, 10:50 PM
Dang man. Sorry to hear. Hit me up if you want some frags.

Cheers,
-Harvey

rusty
07-27-2006, 10:58 PM
I will need to hit up alot of people!!!! :sad:

fishguyxd
07-28-2006, 12:13 AM
Sorry to hear that ,I know how you feel I went in early july and the "same" thing happened to me ,my neigbour told me it was cooking in my place when he fed the fish, and I lost ever coral too except a mushroom.

Funky_Fish14
07-28-2006, 12:26 AM
Aww no :( So sorry to hear Russ!

I hope this doesnt discourage you from sticking with the hobby!

Joe Reefer
07-28-2006, 01:55 PM
Oh man that sucks! How did the basement stuff make out.

TheReefGeek
07-28-2006, 02:47 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss, that makes me nervous about leaving for 3 weeks next week!

I got a temperature controller for my holidays so that if my tank gets too hot, it will kick off any devices I want, so I am going to power down my skimmer pumps, heaters, and lights until the tank cools off enough, then they will come back on.

And if you go on holidays during the summer, I would put a couple big ass fans blowing over the tank and use a water top off system, if you don't have a chiller.

rusty
07-28-2006, 05:42 PM
The sad thing is that I had a fan blowing at the tank/sump.

guysmiley
07-28-2006, 08:11 PM
Had the same thing a few years ago which prompted me to buy a chiller. My father in law said he'd never watch the tank again until I bought one!

Sorry to hear about your tank. Come by this weekend, I've got lots of stuff I can give you.

Garrick.

OCDP
07-30-2006, 01:20 AM
Sorry to hear man.. that sucks.

I just got back from holidays only for a week... but what I did was have my lights kick on at 5am and off at 130pm . Everything looks great and the tank did very well.. yay.

The heat is a SOB in the summer... but if you can switch your lighting cycle around a bit, it helps a lot.,

snailbuddy
07-31-2006, 02:33 AM
I feel your pain . . . the heat claimed many of my corals and all my shrimp!

Sushiman
07-31-2006, 03:01 AM
The EXACT thing happened to me, I easily lost the $$$ value in corals & fish that I could have easily bought a chiller. I have vowed to never cheap-out again in this hobby. I'm still rebuilding since this crash.

seashells
07-31-2006, 03:10 PM
Sorry to hear bout your loss. We take our holidays in Novemer or February and head south. We have to worry about power outages.

Doug

jgoldsney
08-03-2006, 06:01 PM
I found that running my lights from 11:30 to 5:30 AM was the only thing I could do to keep the heat in check....the tank is upstairs and it gets very hot during the day.Unfortunately I lost a ton of corals 2 large monti caps a large Frogspawn that I had split in to 3 mult headed colonys was decimated I am down to 2 colonys with 2 heads each, I lost a bubble coral as well. the softer corals...zoos, shrooms and zenia seem fine.

I have been debating on running a couple of lines down to the basment to my sump and run it through a bunch of coils and back up.....not sure if this would be effective though..

Snappy
08-04-2006, 02:20 AM
Russ I feel your pain.