PDA

View Full Version : Is this a problem? slanted tank...

GrimReefer
07-27-2006, 12:17 AM
So i went to test fill my new 30 gallon cube, and...
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/gnx/newtank018.jpg
it's freakin' slanted. it's not my desk and it's certainly not my tank...it's my crappy apartment. so my question is whether or not this will comprimise the structural integrity of the tank? i think i can deal with the asthetics as long as it's not going to cause me any other problems.

Funky_Fish14
07-27-2006, 12:21 AM
I'd level the stand. A slant, even by an 1/8th of an inch, is just unneeded stress and worry.

Chris

GrimReefer
07-27-2006, 12:32 AM
I'd level the stand. A slant, even by an 1/8th of an inch, is just unneeded stress and worry.

Chris
true enough. what would be the easiest method for correction considering i don't have any power tools at my disposal?

christyf5
07-27-2006, 12:34 AM
Go to the hardware store and buy some wooden shims to put either under the desk or tank. The ones I get come in a 10 pack I think. I find they work the best for me (I live in one of "those" types of houses too :rolleyes:).

niloc16
07-27-2006, 01:00 AM
definitely get it level. i'd say just go to rona or home depot and tell them exactly your situation and they will have good ideas

krisalexander
07-27-2006, 01:09 AM
I would also reccomend if u choose to shim it..get some foam and cut it the size of your tanks bottom and set it on the foam this will ease any pressure points and will also help balancing.

kris

midgetwaiter
07-27-2006, 02:05 AM
My apartment is the same way, in some places I have a noticeable change in slope over the length of the tanks as well. That's really bad news. Definitely shim the stand so it sits level.

Dale
07-27-2006, 02:59 AM
Hi Genix,

The best fix is to shim the desk, at floor level. This gives the tank the full flat surface of the desk so there won't be stress points on the glass. As others have suggested, wooden shims from the hardware store will do the job. I have also shimmed tanks by cutting decreasingly shorter strips of corrugated cardboard and stacking them one on top of the other to act as shims. You have to allow for some compression but not really that much, actually.
________
silver surfer reviews (http://vaporizers.net/silver-surfer-vaporizer)

Buccaneer
07-27-2006, 03:20 AM
Shim the desk at floor level and put 1/2 " foam under the tank

Rikko
07-27-2006, 03:28 AM
I would also reccomend if u choose to shim it..get some foam and cut it the size of your tanks bottom and set it on the foam this will ease any pressure points and will also help balancing.

kris

Bump what Kris said - this is a good strategy for pretty well any tank. Shim the stand, of course, but do this after the fact to makes things "perfecter". Plus, as the hours droops over time or the stand settles/collapses, the foam will compensate and keep everything level.