PDA

View Full Version : Siganus punctatus (Gold Spotted Spinefoot) Rabbitfish

Psyire
07-26-2006, 07:18 AM
JL got one of these fish in and I decided to take a chance on him.

I know it's risky due to him being a rabbitfish, but I have been keeping an eye out for one of these guys since I seen a picture of one in someone's reef. I'm sorta crossing my fingers that he'll work out, with my other fish and corals.

Does anyone have any personal experience with this type of rabbitfish? Resources on the net are fairly vague and not very detailed.

They had him ID'd as a Siganus guttatus, but I believe he's a Siganus punctatus. (Gold Spotted Spinefoot)

Picture:

http://www.jlaquatics.com/images/new%20and%20noteworthy/orangespot.jpg

andrewsk
07-26-2006, 07:31 AM
No help here. Just wanted to say that this is a beautiful fish.

How much did it set you back?

albert_dao
07-26-2006, 08:10 AM
It's not a guttatus. I have a few guttatus. You've got yourself a real nice fish there!

Chaloupa
07-26-2006, 03:05 PM
Psyire-I just got one also! What a beautiful fish! He's picking away at all my algae...was within a couple of hours of delivery. Check out my "New additions to my 120g" thread and it has a pic of mine....is yours quite large? I found a fair amount of information on him...but it was a bit conflicting with his name...I did find him listed as guttatus in a couple sites I found but also as punctatus. maybe Albert can post a pic of his guttatus.

albert_dao
07-26-2006, 05:22 PM
For sure!

Here's a link:

http://www.cichlids.ca/images/gallery/541guttatusrabbit.jpg?c=6a45f5cbd60f8dea0596c0dfd8 3f3b8d

Mine are still juvs, though, so they haven't developed a very strong orange spotting yet. But you get the gist, the base color is a lot lighter than what you're looking at with the punctatus. There's also a large, orange spot at the base of the dorsal fin, near the tail.

danny zubot
07-26-2006, 05:33 PM
Also called: "Orange spotted Rabbitfish"

I was looking at one that Riverfront had a while back, and decided to research it first. Good thing I did because I found out that they get huge! 40 cm in the wild. How big is your tank? They are algae eaters so they will need nori etc.

Bartman
07-26-2006, 07:42 PM
I was going to get that rabbitfish but found a Foxface instead. J&L told me it was an Orange Spot so all the research I did was for that. The Gold Spot is far less common I understand. How did you find out it was a Gold and not an Orange?

Psyire
07-26-2006, 11:17 PM
Yeah they do get big, but I have a 180g that he'll grow up in. I'm planning a 3-400g for the future, so I should be ok. (if not I know a few people with large tanks)

I just got him and he's acclimating in my 'fuge, looks cool.. but he's in his camo colors, lol

Joe Reefer
07-26-2006, 11:55 PM
I'm planning a 3-400g for the future,

Is the a type-o, OMG that will be freakin awesome.:biggrin:

Psyire
07-27-2006, 01:46 AM
depending on how you took it... not 3400g, but 300 - 400g :)

Joe Reefer
07-27-2006, 04:21 AM
:redface: I thought you meant 3 @ 400g, like 1200 total.

albert_dao
07-27-2006, 04:46 AM
I was going to get that rabbitfish but found a Foxface instead. J&L told me it was an Orange Spot so all the research I did was for that. The Gold Spot is far less common I understand. How did you find out it was a Gold and not an Orange?

The guttatus has the gold spot on at the base of the caudal peduncle. The other rabbitfish doesn't have this feature.

Chaloupa
07-27-2006, 06:02 AM
Nice fish Albert! Can you provide any links to the fish that we do have? Thanks!

albert_dao
07-27-2006, 08:06 PM
I don't think there's much to say about them really. They have venomous spines and they're mega hardy. Basically foxfaces with spots.

Psyire
07-27-2006, 09:20 PM
Mine is doing really well apparently. (I am now out of town for a few days, so my inlaws and mom are keeping an eye on them) But I guess he's colored up nice and is swimming around the tank without too much harassement from his new tankmates. I plan to take a bunch of pics next week of him, so I'll be sure to post them.

Psyire
07-27-2006, 09:22 PM
Chaloupa, what have you fed yours? Has he taken an interest to any corals in the tank?

Chaloupa
07-28-2006, 12:07 AM
Psyire - Mine basically grazed on the abundunce of algae I have in the tank....there is a TON of hair algae and some Caulerpa and stuff....has mowed down a rock or two...amazing how fast they chow down on algae! And finally today he did eat some of the frozen food that I have prepped in the fridge...whew I was worried that he may not have enough algae at the rate he goes through it! I know I will have to supplement with Nori soon....as for the corals...i don't really have much in this tank yet...just some Zoa's, Paly's, encrusting Monti, shrooms, and GSP's, oh plus a blue carpet anemone .... this was supposed to be a FOWLR:redface: but it just didn't happen that way! We do plan on adding a few more and will see how it goes as it goes...the CBB is in this tank too....hasn't bothered the corals or the Aiptasia ..... only time will tell. You'll have to let me know how yours is.

He is out more today too. Got him on Tuesday...very "camo" that day, yesterday a bit more so....(understand I have a 2.5 year old also that jumps up and down as soon as he sees it in the tank yelling "big fish Mommy" so it has a reason to be a bit shy!) but today swimming out in plain view even with Zach close to the tank!

Albert-Thanks...I do understand that he is basically the same as any foxface or rabbit.....I guess the info I am looking for is max size and geographical location etc. If you have any details PM me please if you don't mind!

Psyire
07-28-2006, 01:26 AM
Max size is 40cm. Which is big, but that gives me another reason to upgrade in the future, lol.

albert_dao
07-28-2006, 01:47 AM
You can probably expect this fish to top out at 40 cm with adequate space. Like the foxfaces, though, I've found most rabbitfish (and I keep several species) to be rather slow growing, at about 3 cm a year.

Chaloupa
07-28-2006, 02:19 AM
PERFECT! Thanks albert!

Bartman
07-28-2006, 02:39 AM
I don't think there's much to say about them really. They have venomous spines and they're mega hardy. Basically foxfaces with spots.

The Orange and Golds are known to be less shy than a Foxface also.

Psyire
07-28-2006, 06:33 AM
Slow growing would be a good thing. Thanks for the additional info guys.

Richard_Dicosimo
08-02-2006, 12:15 AM
yeah but with a size of 40cm is that the max? or the average? because from what i have seen most fish dont reach their full size in the tank, granted i havent been keeping saltwater aslong as most of you. but from what i read thats the general concensis. so a 40 cm fish might only hit 30cm

Richard

Psyire
08-02-2006, 04:47 AM
I imagine the reason for this theory is because most fish would only reach their maximum size if kept for the majority of their lifespan. The big fish live a long time, 30-40 years if my memory is correct. How many people have kept a fish for 30-40 years? Not many I'm willing to bet... so I'm sure this is where the fish never reaching maximum size thing comes from.

(and I'm sure diet has something to do with it also)

Psyire
08-04-2006, 08:56 PM
Finally I have some pictures for you guys:

http://www.playhardrc.com/misc/aquarium/180Goldspotted3s.jpg

http://www.playhardrc.com/misc/aquarium/180Goldspotted2s.jpg

http://www.playhardrc.com/misc/aquarium/180Goldspotted1s.jpg

muck
08-04-2006, 09:31 PM
Great pics Craig. Sure is a stunning fish!! :cool:

Joe Reefer
08-04-2006, 09:34 PM
Great shots! I love that fish.

saltwatermaniac
08-05-2006, 05:34 AM
nice fish but look at the teeth

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-05-2006, 08:27 AM
Gorgeous.

revgeoff
08-05-2006, 03:36 PM
JL got one of these fish in and I decided to take a chance on him.

I know it's risky due to him being a rabbitfish, but I have been keeping an eye out for one of these guys since I seen a picture of one in someone's reef. I'm sorta crossing my fingers that he'll work out, with my other fish and corals.

Does anyone have any personal experience with this type of rabbitfish? Resources on the net are fairly vague and not very detailed.

They had him ID'd as a Siganus guttatus, but I believe he's a Siganus punctatus. (Gold Spotted Spinefoot)

Picture:

http://www.jlaquatics.com/images/new%20and%20noteworthy/orangespot.jpg

WOW, nice fish!! I think I'll trade in my foxface for one.
Just out of curiosity...you said that he is risky being a rabbit fish...what kind of risk were you referring to? I have only ever had a foxface but it has never bothered another fish, invert or coarl.

Psyire
08-05-2006, 10:40 PM
Like any rabbitfish, they might pick at corals. Particularly Soft corals and Zoas. I haven't seen mine pick at anything however, so all is good so far.

Psyire
08-05-2006, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the compliments!