PDA

View Full Version : Red Cynao

Skimmerking
07-21-2006, 03:16 AM
HOw is everyone getting rif of their Red crap in the tank.
UV 's don't work.
Running a wet Skimmewr doesnt work.
Added a refugium with a DSB doesn't work.

I'm thinking there is something else out there that can do it what is it..

Help

I have a bare Bottom tank with 400's 14 K and DRipping Kalk.
The 20 refugium has it all over the tank thou. any idea's

Sebae
07-21-2006, 03:24 AM
Use Chemi Clean .

tango
07-21-2006, 04:55 AM
red slime remover the reef safe stuff:biggrin:

reeferaddict
07-21-2006, 08:44 AM
I know in my system increasing flow and running phosban have made a huge difference. Old lights also cause noxious cyano blooms. Other than that it's the good old siphon hose, and almost ALL of us have to do it, but by the number of times you have posted tells me you know all this by now...:mrgreen:

I hear bleach clears it right up though.... :lol:

reeferaddict
07-21-2006, 08:46 AM
Use Chemi Clean .

Sorry guys... short term band-aid at best, and a potential coral killing disaster other times... go to the root of the problem and get rid of phosphates and nitrates... more likely phosphates, as my system has high nitrates and very little cyano... just F'ing hair algae!

Skimmerking
07-21-2006, 01:25 PM
ya I have battled if before in my 280 and the 120 siphoning is a PITA and I guess that the Chemicals are going to be the next thing.

zoomin
07-21-2006, 01:30 PM
The only thing that got rid of my red "cotton candy" algae was 4 golfball-sized Pacific Turbo Snails.

Reefer Rob
07-21-2006, 02:25 PM
For me, cyano just goes away on it's own. Seems to bloom when ever I make a change (good or bad) in my aquarium. Otherwise it is invisable, but I know it is still in there, waiting for me to make too big of a change so it can take advantage of the imballance. Reducing the photo period by 25% or so seems to speed it's demise.

Rob

Skimmerking
07-21-2006, 11:39 PM
The only thing that got rid of my red "cotton candy" algae was 4 golfball-sized Pacific Turbo Snails.

that is a different kind of Algae that we are talking about Zoomin. Red Cynao is a red slime crap

smellsfishy
07-22-2006, 04:08 AM
i used the siphon method with air line so i didn't take out to much water.
i went one step further and brushed of the rock with a small paint brush it would never come back in the same spot after it was brushed. tried the chemicals didn't work for long don't waste your money. took 3 weeks every second day of syphoning/brushing but it's gone now. also whatever rocks you can turn over and check it likes to hide and make sure the lights have been on for a while so it turns red.