PDA

View Full Version : psssst.

OCDP
07-20-2006, 08:35 PM
It's getting quiet around here... I guess it's about that time of year.

What's everyone's summer been like so far?

christyf5
07-20-2006, 08:41 PM
Well mine has sucked so far. I've been without a job since April, no money to go anywhere/do anything and my tank has been RTNing like nobodys business.

Just thought I'd shed a ray of sunshine on everyones day :razz:

fortheloveofcrabs
07-20-2006, 08:49 PM
Mine has been pretty good, but very busy. I started a new tank (a 2.5 on my desk at work) - so that was cool. I bought a new watch - exciting when you're a time piece junky (just what I need, en? TWO expensive hobbies). I've been in and out of town quite a bit as well. In the last four months, I've been to New York, Kelowna, Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto and Ft. Worth. This month I'm out again to NYC, and then off to Las Vegas in mid August. So flying has been nuts (thank goodness that the boss is paying for the flights, en?) But other than that, I've been trying to spend as much time with my wife. What about you? Playing drums? Actually, pretty cool story: one of my co-workers is away in Europe with his band touring. He's a drummer as well. Well, maybe it's not 'pretty cool', perhaps just 'sorta cool' - maybe even just plain 'interesting'... maybe not even that... Sigh... Well, back to work...

-Pauli

danny zubot
07-20-2006, 09:05 PM
Wedding planning, house hunting, honeymoon planning, and maybe the occasional minute to myself.:wink:

Well mine has sucked so far. I've been without a job since April,

Whatcha lookin' for?

christyf5
07-20-2006, 09:14 PM
Whatcha lookin' for?

A winning lottery ticket :razz:

Currently I'm floundering around in biology, specifically fish (aquacultured species) health, not having much luck.

I should have been an Albertan, all you guys are rich :wink:

seashells
07-20-2006, 09:14 PM
Busy!!! Busy!!! Pool SEASON!!! Pool chemicals, cleaning pools, changing sand filters, backwashing, clearing up green pools, repairing cuts in pool liners( trying to get the glue out of your hair afterward...well should probably shave my head.) and just falling into the pool when the work gets too hot! Anyone looking for a summer job???

Joys of owning a pool store!

Doug & Shellie

OCDP
07-20-2006, 09:18 PM
Heh... no wife , house , kids or anything like that for me.... yet. :lol:

Sorry to hear about the job thing Christy.. Keep your chin up though. You'll be back at it in no time. :)

Everyone sounds pretty busy so far.. wish I could go on about my busy life hahah... well, I could...

I have been playing lots of drums , as always.. (how'd you know i was a drummer pauli??) Drums are my "escape" at the end of the day.. nothing better than banging the crap out of the drums after a long day at the office. The band is going well and we will be hitting the bars and pubs in Calgary very shortly.. watch out for us calgarians. We aren't too bad at all if I may say so myself.

I am making plans to get back into school, get myself into SAIT for a Computer Technology course. I have to upgrade a whole damn year in math first though... yipee.

Been doing a bit of camping, leaving again Sunday to Cypress Hill (haha...) for 6 days.. should be good. We get back on my birthday (30th) and then a couple days after we're back out camping again for a few days.

Pretty nervous about leaving the tank and all, but I have someone to watch it , that I trust. So I am confident it'll be okay.

Keeping busy can be a good thing.

fortheloveofcrabs
07-20-2006, 09:30 PM
How did I know you were a drummer? I'm psychic of cource. Ahem...

OCDP - Orange County Drums & Percussion

At least that's what you said on the post saying how you picked your user name.

Don't worry Christy, you'll find a job (especially if you move to Alberta!). I mean who WOULDN'T want to hire someone that's into reefing! Is it on your resume?

I dunno about the rest of you, but owning a pool store sounds like best job in the world! Step aside rock star there's a new top-dog in town.

OCDP
07-20-2006, 09:33 PM
How did I know you were a drummer? I'm psychic of cource. Ahem...

OCDP - Orange County Drums & Percussion

At least that's what you said on the post saying how you picked your user name.

ahah, right.. forgot about that thread.

TheReefGeek
07-20-2006, 09:35 PM
I have been busy wedding planning planning, honeymoon planning, and researching cameras. Also been training my dog to swim and stay still in a boat in preperation for our honeymoon too.

House is a mess, yard is a mess, renos are on hold, tank needs work as always. Trying to get it prepared for my 3 week wedding/honeymoon.

Just never enough hours in the day, but that is how I like it too.

Beverly
07-20-2006, 10:30 PM
I've been spending lots of time with our one year old granddaughter. She's a hoot! She's walking, plays hide and seek, says uh-oh (Chris and I taught her that one :razz: ), and is generally a joy to be around :biggrin: Being "Grandma" has given me a whole new outlet for my silliness :lol:

The rest of the summer will be spent slowly consolidating our 37g and 67g livestock into our 120g, doing Condo Treasurer stuff, trying to stay cool, baby, and of course playing with my granddaughter.

Skimmerking
07-21-2006, 03:13 AM
I have been very busy on my Summer Holidays Just dropped 8K on my yard landscaping sodding man I need a break......
\

Swinmming in our
pool Man But I have quite the Sun tan.

Doug
07-21-2006, 05:39 PM
Also very busy since moving into the city. Like Bev, spending lots of time with our grandaughters and daughter. :mrgreen:

Also very busy landscaping the new property. Building decks, fences and so on. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Sheez, I will need to un-retire now. :lol:

My new 65g is now running. Not much livestock yet. Sold most all when I moved. Still have my mated percs and my 2+yr. old copperband, that I dont have the heart to part with.

Limited posting time for now.

danny zubot
07-21-2006, 06:54 PM
:idea: After some thought, I've decided to take a day out of my vacation to do some badly needed work on my tank. I need to re-arrange my rockwork which has been sound for the past 15 months. Many of my corals are outgrowing their current positions.

SJSobczyk
07-21-2006, 08:14 PM
Pretty busy summer for me as well. As some other members i have been planning my wedding/honeymoon, but the easy thing is we are getting married in St Lucia so they pretty much do all the work.
This past weekend was the first time i have actually been home all weekend, travelled all across BC and Alberta, camping, visiting customers etc.
Stampede took out a large chunk of my budget for entertaining etc, but its worth every penny spent!

Steve

OCDP
07-21-2006, 08:18 PM
Pretty busy summer for me as well. As some other members i have been planning my wedding/honeymoon, but the easy thing is we are getting married in St Lucia so they pretty much do all the work.
This past weekend was the first time i have actually been home all weekend, travelled all across BC and Alberta, camping, visiting customers etc.
Stampede took out a large chunk of my budget for entertaining etc, but its worth every penny spent!

Steve

Cool... stampede sucked for me .. of course, this is my experience. It's over priced, over crowded and just no more fun for me. People are rude, have no manners, and are just flat out ignorant. I guess that's why it was my first year back since 2003 or something... I find stampede to be a joke now. I couldn't believe the people there... everyone was so crabby and ignorant... I think there were close to 3 times that me and the guys almost had a tussle... obviously we're minding our own.. people just blow my mind these days. It was pretty shocking to me... I've never been to a place where the people have been like that.

There's my 2 thumbs up for Stampede . :lol:

SJSobczyk
07-21-2006, 08:27 PM
I guess you have to expect that with the amount of people that go through the gates. I just love the whole experience of Stampede. When you hear people talk about how they love the city and people, makes you feel proud.

Just my 2 cents!

Steve

OCDP
07-21-2006, 08:44 PM
Yeah, I expected it.. but to what degree I think is what matters. When your walking around with your friends and have people come out of no where to pick a fight it really drives you away from things like that. Also makes you wonder what the hell those people are thinking to make them act like that... (or drinking.. haha)

Like I said, this is my experience.. surely not everyones is the same. I know people get drunk, get stupid, whatever... is that really a fair excuse though?? haha..

J Feez
07-21-2006, 08:48 PM
It seems like all the people you find at the stampede who are ignorant are out of towners, because from my experience Calgarians have a lot of pride in their city and respect for the people who live and visit here. Also, with that much alcohol flowing freely, people tend to get a little out of control at times.

For me the summer has been going smoothly. Haven't really had the time to do much. Working at the airport on these hot summer days can be alittle taxing on the body after a 12 hour shift. You can pretty much conservatively add 15 degrees to whatever the temperature is outside to get an accurate reading of the temperature while working around those planes. I definately have not put on any summer beer weight though! Sweat a little too much :)

Heading to London, England at the end of the month as well :)

BMW Rider
07-24-2006, 02:31 AM
Well lets see, my wifes Grandma passed away so we had a house full of family for a week, then we were on holidays, went away on our motorcycles for a few days, meanwhile my wife got a promotion so holidays interupted by work stuff, then off the Edmonton for the Grand Prix races, just got home and looks things might finally return to normal (whatever that is) as we go back to work this week. Now I gotta get busy doing all the work that I've put off at home as well. I need to get the basement done for this fall so we can finally sit and enjoy the tank down here.

SuperFudge
07-24-2006, 11:53 PM
I should have been an Albertan, all you guys are rich :wink:

Naw, just find one to marry :wink:

Best of luck on the hunt, i guess youve already tried dept. of fisheries ?

Long shot, Old owner of Seastar aquariums there on the island now owns a very large Koi opperation out there.
If i was him id love to have one of you on board. :)

Marc.

Ruth
07-25-2006, 04:03 PM
I've been without a job since April, no money to go anywhere/do anything and my tank has been RTNing like nobodys business.

Go north or go east young lady - sometimes Mohamed has to go to the mountain.
Seriously though it is probably true. My family lives on the Island and I know that it can be tough down there to get a job that pays anything at all - I think the Wal Mart greeters have Phd's. There is more to life than an island and I have always found that the best things have happened to me when I took a chance and moved to someplace I really didn't think I wanted to be.

As for my summer as far as the systems go - IT SUCKS. Heat and a screwey calcium reactor have virtually wiped out all my SPS corals (just tried adding a couple new ones so hopefully I have it back under control). I did set up a 10g Nano though as a zoo/ric tank that is just doing amazing. I bought a bunch of rics from Reefwerkz and they are just an awesome mix of colours.
I have a new hobby to throw my hard earned $ at. Just bought a new cutting horse and have started to campaign her - with OK results. Will be hitting some of the shows in Alberta next month and maybe a couple in the NW states as well. And you though reef keeping was expensive - let me tell you!

christyf5
07-25-2006, 04:24 PM
Marc, I found me an Albertan, he's one of those ones that moved out here and is poor :razz:

I'm workin the fisheries angle. Got an interview today. Keep your fingers crossed for me :wink:

Ruth, you can't just go commenting about these fah-bulous rics you got from Reefworks and a new 10g nano without pics!! :biggrin:

Ruth
07-25-2006, 08:39 PM
I'll try and get a pic or 2 up tonight when I get home. :mrgreen:

Ruth
07-26-2006, 06:39 AM
Well if this works here is a quick shot of my nano
Yes that is a nasty aptasia that I zapped with some Joe's juice but you get the idea of the nice colours.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e384/RuthCh/Rics_edited-1.jpg