PDA

View Full Version : Group order for Tang Heaven - NO MORE ORDERS

Chin_Lee
07-20-2006, 04:26 PM
Hey everybody
I obviously don't learn very well from my previous group orders but here goes another attempt (although is amazing the number of people who expressed interests after the purchases are made)

I have been interested in buying some gracilaria for sometime now but the cost of shipping have been the primary holdback for not buying it earlier. But I'll put it out there for anybody who may be interested in jumping in on a group buy to miminize the cost of shipping.
The algae that I am talking about is the gracilaria spp. which is also known and sold as Tang Heaven by some retail outlets.

http://www.fragoutpost.com/user/uploaded_files/114364846269.239.236.221.jpg
The reason I want to get his is because I have an achilles tang that I really want to remain healthy and this algae is one of its natural foods in the Hawaii area. Some literature of this algae is as follows:
http://www.ipsf.com/tangheaveninstructions.html
and
http://www.ipsf.com/#anchor49645

The place I am planning to buy it from is the University of Miami that produces these stuff in their labs for Sea Hares to feed on:
http://www.rsmas.miami.edu/groups/sea-hares/
and
http://www.rsmas.miami.edu/groups/sea-hares/algae-growout.html

The ordering web page is:
http://www.rsmas.miami.edu/groups/sea-hares/slug-prices.html

I have been given the membership pricing if I purchase 5 lbs or more which is $8 per pound (and the overnight Fedex shipping will be around $70 for 6 lbs)

The more people to jump in on the group buy, the less that the shipping cost will be. And to make things simple, lets make the purchases at 1 lb denominations.

Please reply if you are interested with the # of lbs you would like to order. If and when I do get enough interest, I will then post a closing date.

Xtasia
07-20-2006, 04:35 PM
I'm in. 1 lb.

Ruth
07-20-2006, 05:51 PM
Chin if you are willing to ship it up to me after if gets to your pad I would be in for 5 lbs.

OAcalgary
07-20-2006, 06:27 PM
10lbs for me. pick up.

Chin_Lee
07-20-2006, 06:32 PM
it looks like the shipping cost is dropping rather quickly as the volume of algae is increasing rapidly.

BTW - shipping costs will be divided by the weight of algae you are purchasing. (in other words you will pay for 1 lbs shipping if you order 1 lbs)

Please post your interest ASAP as this group buy may be ending very soon.

Willow
07-20-2006, 06:34 PM
how much quanity do you think is in a pound of this chin? would it fill a juice jug?

Chin_Lee
07-20-2006, 06:42 PM
how much quanity do you think is in a pound of this chin? would it fill a juice jug?
John
I was given the box dimension for 5-6 lbs which is 17"x17"x10" and that includes space for 2 lbs of ice and 1.5 lbs for the shipping container. So I will say 1 lb should fill a juice jug but thats just a guess.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-20-2006, 06:58 PM
Put me down for 1 lb Chin. Thanks.

targa81
07-20-2006, 07:13 PM
I would also like 1 lb , thanks, Mike.

jimmyray
07-20-2006, 07:26 PM
1 lb please thanx Jim

Psyire
07-20-2006, 07:40 PM
I'll take 2 lbs. (if you are willing to ship it once you recieve it)

Funky_Fish14
07-20-2006, 07:43 PM
If you can ship it to me after it gets to your place... I'd be down for 3 lbs? I would pay for shipping to Edmonton ofcourse.

Thanks!

Chris

Chin_Lee
07-20-2006, 07:48 PM
reshipping this item may not be good idea because it is an algae, the company recommends overnight delivery which is rather pricey. However I have no problems doing it but you may be dinged with double shipping. I would recommend doing a seperate order for Edmonton and Calgary if there is enough interest there.
Depending on the final total, I'll let you all know about shipping.

Funky_Fish14
07-20-2006, 07:55 PM
reshipping this item may not be good idea because it is an algae, the company recommends overnight delivery which is rather pricey. However I have no problems doing it but you may be dinged with double shipping. I would recommend doing a seperate order for Edmonton and Calgary if there is enough interest there.
Depending on the final total, I'll let you all know about shipping.

Im sure they would reccomend that though, rather than a group buy, as the group buy drops their profit margin... more individual orders would yeiled higher payments for each lb of algae, no:question:

I guess a second 'alberta' order would be a possibility, I personally am not concerned about the double ding for shipping though.

Thanks for the heads up on this and coordinating it all!

Chris

Chin_Lee
07-20-2006, 08:01 PM
Im sure they would reccomend that though, rather than a group buy, as the group buy drops their profit margin... more individual orders would yeiled higher payments for each lb of algae, no:question:

I guess a second 'alberta' order would be a possibility, I personally am not concerned about the double ding for shipping though.

Thanks for the heads up on this and coordinating it all!

Chris
chris
the price of $8 per lb does not decrease with volume so there is no gain nor loss by recommending different orders. I'll see how things go by the end of today.

seashells
07-20-2006, 08:20 PM
Hey, I'am in for 2 pounds!

Doug

Chad
07-20-2006, 08:28 PM
I'll take 1lb if your still taking orders.

skylord
07-20-2006, 09:04 PM
Im in for a pound.

marie
07-20-2006, 10:07 PM
If you could send it up on the bus to me I would be interested in 2 lbs

Funky_Fish14
07-20-2006, 10:55 PM
I have been given the membership pricing if I purchase 5 lbs or more which is $8 per pound (and the overnight Fedex shipping will be around $70 for 6 lbs)

This was the conflicting satement that made me think what I did... it sounds like the purchase of at least 5lbs drops the price... If everyone were to order individually, not everyone would take 5lbs, as most are taking one or two. That would raise the price per lb for the business, no? Unless im clompletely misunderstanding the above statement. Anyways, thats not the point...:lol:

I am pondering an Edmonton order if anyone from AB is interested.. I already have 5lbs at least accounted for, and I wouldnt have a problem shipping portions to Calgary or north of Ed... at your own risk ofcourse, but algae shouldnt be tough to ship... cheato ships dry doesnt it? I would ship this wet ofcourse though. At your own risk though, if its not reccomended.

Chris

muck
07-20-2006, 10:58 PM
We need a thread in the Edmonton forum Chris.. :cool:

Funky_Fish14
07-20-2006, 11:30 PM
Right, this is in the Van forum... Thanks Ryan :lol:

Chin_Lee
07-21-2006, 06:55 AM
OK heres what I have for Day 1:
Chin Lee - 5 lbs
Xtasia - 1 lb
Ruth - 5 lbs
OACalgary - 10 lbs
Seahorse - 1 lb
Targa81 - 1 lb
Jimmyray - 1 lb
Seashells - 2 lbs
Chad - 1 lb
Skylord - 1 lb
Marie - 2 lbs

Possible Edmonton order depending on their group buy interest:
Psyire - 2 lbs (i am assuming you will be part of the Edmonton group buy?)
Funkyfish - 3 lbs
Muck 2 lbs

Man thats a lot of algae!!!!

Willow
07-21-2006, 02:30 PM
I think he means.. so long as the total order is over 5 lbs it will be at the $8 rate.... not if each person orders over 5lbs.

- Xtasia too lazy to change the user id.

Chin_Lee
07-22-2006, 12:39 AM
Sunday night will be the closing of the group buy. I will contact the company on Monday for shipment on Tuesday and I'll pick it up on Wed. I'll keep you all posted.

Edmonton fellas: please let me know by Sunday night on your order.

Tigger
07-22-2006, 05:46 AM
I will take 2 pounds.

Thanks for organizing all of this Chin

Chin_Lee
07-22-2006, 03:47 PM
Hi everybody
I have been advised by the company that 30 lbs of algae will require 2 boxes for shipping. I will prefer to limit the order to one box and I am waiting for a response for the maximum amount that will fit into one box. Depending on the response, I may have to limit some people's orders (5-10 lb ranges). I have chosen this method so more people can get a portion of algae as opposed to first come first serve.
I will futher communicate with you via PM if this is the case with you and when I find out the maximum amount algae that will fit in a box.
Chin Lee - 5 lbs
Xtasia - 1 lb
Ruth - 5 lbs
OACalgary - 10 lbs (pending)
Seahorse - 3 lb (changed as per PM)
Targa81 - 1 lb
Jimmyray - 3 lb (changed as per PM)
Seashells - 2 lbs
Chad - 1 lb
Skylord - 1 lb
Marie - 2 lbs
Tigger - 2 lbs
Rikko - 1 lb
GMGQ - 1 lb
More1020 - 1 lb
------------------
39 lbs

Willow
07-22-2006, 08:06 PM
since oacalgary is ordering it probably for resale and isn't in our local vancouver club area maybe we could limit their order.

Rikko
07-22-2006, 11:44 PM
I'm in for 1lb for sure, if we can still get more people in on it.

Chin, I didn't see in this thread if they said what they are willing to fit into a box. If we can organize 2 full boxes that should be fine, though if you don't want to handle all the foot traffic to pick it up from you, maybe someone else could receive that box.
I'd volunteer myself except I'm in the corner of the North Shore and somebody more central (Vancouver/Burnaby/Coquitlam) would probably be best for everyone picking up.

What do you think?

GMGQ
07-23-2006, 01:35 AM
Chin, I PM'd you for 1lbs. Thanks!

Willow
07-23-2006, 03:31 AM

Chin, I didn't see in this thread if they said what they are willing to fit into a box. If we can organize 2 full boxes that should be fine, though if you don't want to handle all the foot traffic to pick it up from you, maybe someone else could receive that box.
I'd volunteer myself except I'm in the corner of the North Shore and somebody more central (Vancouver/Burnaby/Coquitlam) would probably be best for everyone picking up.

What do you think?

im in richmond and work from home.

Chin_Lee
07-23-2006, 04:49 AM

What do you think?

Good thoughts but the method in which I am picking it up I will need to do my darnest to keep it to one box.
Thanks
chin

Rikko
07-23-2006, 06:23 AM
What method is that? Surely we could duplicate it for another 'receiver'?

more1020
07-23-2006, 09:47 PM
I would like to take 2lb. Thanks!

Tigger
07-24-2006, 06:56 AM
Hey Chin

Did you get my order, or am I listed under the wrong name?

Chin_Lee
07-24-2006, 07:06 AM
What method is that? Surely we could duplicate it for another 'receiver'?

I am mitigating my risk at this time with this group buy; I did not expect it to get this large.
According to the FEDEX website, overnight shipping for a 17x17x20" container is going to cost me about $135 US. I am hoping to get 15-25 lbs of seaweed into the container which will cost me an additional $120-200.
I am just not prepared to double that cost because I am already going to have to pay $255-335 USD in advance (~ $280-350 CDN).
For me to ship two boxes will cost me anywhere from $600-700. And we all know from a group buy that somebody will "change" their mind and I will end up with more than I wanted.
My apologies to those who may be affected but I just can't afford the risk on two boxes. I am waiting for a response on the maximum weight for one box.

For those who are interested in what this may cost:
A) Shipping of $135 USD is about $150 CDN so shipping cost will be anywhere from $6-10 per lb depending on how much will fit in the box

B) The algae is $8/lb USD which is about $9 CDN.

So be prepared to pay anywhere from

$15 to $20 per lb of algae.

If anybody would like to change their minds, please let me know.
Thanks

Xtasia
07-24-2006, 04:17 PM
Chin, Why don't you just order the maximum amount and sell to hobbyists that reserved in priority sequence, then work your way down. From the looks of it, there appears to be more buyers than weed available so you should be in good shape. I'm also willing to pay you in advance.

I'd also make it clear that pick up should be on the day of arrival ro something of that gist or you might end up with holding onto weed until a "convenient day" sometime 3 weeks from arrival...

seashells
07-24-2006, 06:24 PM
PM'd ya

Ruth
07-24-2006, 06:43 PM
i'm still in Chin if you are willing to ship to me after it arrives (of course I will pay for my cost of the original shipping and the cost of shipping to me) Send me a PM and LMK cost and I will send $ immediately.

Rikko
07-25-2006, 02:43 AM
I'd still be up for that, and considering the high upfront cost you're looking at, I think it's pretty reasonable to suggest everyone who's interested pay a deposit of what we think the final cost will be (and the final amount payable on pickup, because estimates are invariably wrong!).
Trusting one guy with 800 posts with 20 bucks of mine is easier than trusting a vast swarm of us with $700 :P

Chin_Lee
07-25-2006, 08:27 AM
Well let me first start off by saying that I am totally and utterly stunned at what has transpired. I have been communicating with the University of Miami National Resource for Aplysia regarding our purchase and I gave a brief explaination about Canreef and about the Vancouver Reef Aquarium Club. I further explained that most of us are buying to propagate as a food source for our tangs because many of us are trying to give them the most natural food as possible. I received the following email from them today:

Hi there: I spoke to my boss, Thomas Capo, about your organization and showed him your website. Mr. Capo asked me to let you know that he is happy to make a gift of the 30 pounds of gracilaria to the Vancouver Reef Aquarium Club of British Columbia. You will only need to pay the shipping, paperwork and box charges. Tom believes in assisting groups like yours and hopes that this small donation will be of use to your members. We cannot do this very often, but if we have extra algae, we are happy to send it to you for your members.

I would request that you post this on your website so that the members are aware of the gift and that they won’t be charged anything other than shipping for the Gracilaria. If any of your Club Members are doing studies or scientific observations of fish using the gracilaria as primary food source, we ask that they share the information gathered with us and credit the NIH National Resource for Aplysia in anything published.

We can ship out next Tuesday if you wish. Please call with your credit card number to cover the box charges, International paperwork and shipping charge. Thanks so much.
All best Wishes.

It is just such a wonderful feeling to see such generosity and genuine concern for the animals that we love. I didn't know how to express our gratitude with enough "thank yous" to the National Resource for Aplysia. I would respectfully ask that we abide by their request to credit them in anything published as a result of this wonderful donation.
In addition, I would like to ask that the recipients of the donation NOT to turn it around and sell this algae for any monetary gains. In fact we should in turn donate any excess growth to fellow reefers or club members in order to maximize the benefits of the initial donation.

I will continue to liase with the National Resource for Aplysia to acquire our donation. As stated above, shipping costs, box charges and paperwork will be our responsibility. I will assume the initial cost and collect the funds at a later time.

In order to make it FAIR for everyone, there are some good news and some bad news that are as follows:
1) Only those who initially expressed interest in this group buy will receive the algae (so we don't get any bandwagon jumpers now that its a donation)

2) In order for everybody to get a portion, I have limited the amount to 2 lbs maximum (if you asked for 1 lb, you get 1 lb. If you asked for <2 lbs, you get 2 lbs. Except I get 3 lbs cuz I organized this bloody thing). With that in mind, the following amounts will be set aside for each persons:
Chin Lee - 3 lbs
Xtasia - 1 lb
Seahorse - 2 lb
Targa81 - 1 lb
Jimmyray - 2 lb
Seashells - 2 lbs
Chad - 1 lb
Skylord - 1 lb
Marie - 2 lbs
Tigger - 2 lbs
Rikko - 1 lb
GMGQ - 1 lb
More1020 - 1 lb

Calgary (pls see below regarding shipping)
OACalgary - 2 lbs

Fort St. John (pls see below regarding shipping)
Ruth - 2 lbs

Northen Alberta (pls see below regarding shipping)
Psyire - 2 lbs

Edmonton (pls see below regarding shipping)
Funkyfish - 2 lbs
Muck 2 lbs

3) SHIPPING: I never intended on shipping because of the amount of time I have had to put in to acquire it and then having to redistribute it. But since I am such a sucker for punishment, I will ship but read the following because I will not waver from it and please do not PM to make exceptions.
- you will need to pay your share of the initial shipping cost, box charges, paperwork costs. In addition to your shipping cost.
- I will only ship via Canada Post but you decide if you want Prioirty Courier or Xpresspost or regular. Whatever you decide is what I will use but its at your own risk whichever method you choose (keeping in mind of the tempatures we have been experiencing)
- only the amount set aside for you will be shipped to you. I know its more worthwhile to ship more to get your money's worth but with this being a donation, the amount set aside is only fair to all. Unfortunately your 1-2 lbs of seaweed might be costing you quite a bit of $ to be shipped Priority.
- I will send everybody who requires re-shipping a PM to confirm if you are still interested. If you give up your share, that amount will be offered to the first person in line to post and until their initial desired amount is fulfilled IE if Joe Blow in Alberta is entitled to 2 lbs and he gives it up, the 2 lbs will go to Chin Lee to get his 5 lbs that he initially wanted. Then Ruth will get the next three lbs and OACalgary will get the next 8 lbs etc etc etc.

4) PICK UP - Since I don't have the room to store 30 lbs of gracilaria in my tank,
- EVERYBODY MUST PICK UP THEIR ALGAE ON THE EVENING OF WEDNESDAY AUGUST 2nd or EVENING OF THURSDAY AUGUST 3rd.
- NO EXCEPTIONS.
- All of you, please PM me by next Tuesday August 1st indicating which day and time you will be coming by to pick up your algae.
- if I don't get a PM from you by Tuesday, I will send you a a friendly PM reminder for an answer. If there is no response by Wednesday, I will assume you have forfeited your portion and will be re-distributed in the manner as discussed previously.
- Next Tuesday, you will all get a PM from me advising of the shared cost per pound. The amount WILL be rounded up to the nearest dollar IE $7.01 will be rounded to $8.00because a $0.99 tip is really not too much to ask for and its a lot easier to deal with than to deal with pennies and dimes.
- PLEASE BRING EXACT CHANGE. Otherwise, if I don't have change, I will take this opporunity to thank you in advance for the tip.
- if you cannot make it on either one of those days, set it up with another person on the list to pick it up for you. Then send me a PM of who it is.
- I will not hold it for anybody because I cannot. My sump will be filled as it already is.

Thank you everybody for your patience and understanding. I will keep you all posted.

Psyire
07-25-2006, 08:41 AM
I'm still in with my 2 lbs, if possible. (I was the 8thy person in, if that counts)

(Edit: Somehow I never seen the above post before posting this)

skylord
07-25-2006, 08:44 AM
Wow....

Willow
07-25-2006, 03:06 PM
wow sweet deal chin, that's great news!

seashells
07-25-2006, 03:50 PM
wow! Thats really great! Looks like one of your group buys may succeed with flying colors! Great work Chin and thank you.

Doug & Shellie

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-25-2006, 03:56 PM
Thanks Chin for setting all this up. That's totally awesome. My seahorses will be so happy with a field of red to latch onto.

BTW, I can hold some macro for those who can't pick up on time. I have a 25g with just LR & a 20g refugium & 50g sump that I can store extra macro in.

From past experience with red macro, this stuff sucks up iodine from your water like crazy. If you iodine levels are low, it will turn pale, then green & then fall apart completely. It also does not stand up to shipping very well & so it is highly advisable that the fastest mode of shipping be chosen or you'll likely end up with a bag of mush. Chin, if you don't have the time, send me the transhipping info & I'll hold the extra macro in my tanks under some full spectrum lighting & then ship it out the following Monday, since I work from home & the post office is just down the street from me.

Again, thanks Chin for setting up this & thanks NIH National Resource for Aplysia for this very generous donation.

Anthony

Jason McK
07-25-2006, 03:59 PM
That is very cool.

Great story.

christyf5
07-25-2006, 04:15 PM
Wow thats absolutely fantastic that they're making such a generous donation! What a great organization. :biggrin:

Delphinus
07-25-2006, 04:26 PM
Truly very cool! :cool:

Funky_Fish14
07-25-2006, 06:28 PM
Wow! Thats fantastic!

Thank-you very much for all the time and effort Chin! And thank-you to the Miami National Resource Center for having made such a donation!

Chin, Im still in, and will send a PM.

Thanks!

Chris

more1020
07-25-2006, 06:32 PM
Totally awesome!

Chin,I just sent you a PM.

Thanks again!

Psyire
07-25-2006, 06:46 PM
Thanks Chin for not giving up on group buy's! It looks like this one is going to pay off big for everyone involved. (Much thanks to the NIH National Resource for Aplysia)

I'm also happy that you will indeed 'reship' this algae to us that are not in the Vancouver area. I'm more than willing to pay for all costs involved. I'll be in touch through PM's.

Chin_Lee
07-25-2006, 10:08 PM
NEW DATE FOR SHIPMENT AUGUST 9

Hi there: due to harvest schedule, we are going to have the 30 pounds of gracilaria for you guys on August 8. I just found out that our last big harvest of the gracilaria was two days ago so we will be short until our next harvest date of August 7. We will ship on Tuesday, August 8 and you will receive it on august 9. I hope this doesn’t cause you any problems with your members. Please advise.

So of course I replied that its alright :biggrin:
The information post has been amended accordingly.

Chin_Lee
07-25-2006, 10:41 PM
I have limited the amount to 2 lbs maximum (if you asked for 1 lb, you get 1 lb. If you asked for <2 lbs, you get 2 lbs. I don't get 3 lbs anymore because of a counting error ... shucks). With that in mind, the following amounts will be set aside for each persons:
Chin Lee - 2 lbs
Xtasia - 1 lb
Seahorse - 2 lb
Targa81 - 1 lb
Jimmyray - 2 lb
Seashells - 2 lbs
Chad - 1 lb
Skylord - 1 lb
Marie - 2 lbs
Tigger - 2 lbs
Rikko - 1 lb
GMGQ - 1 lb
More1020 - 2 lb

Calgary (pls see below regarding shipping)
OACalgary - 2 lbs

Fort St. John
Ruth - 2 lbs confirmed to be shipped

Northen Alberta
Psyire - 2 lbs confirmed to be shipped

Edmonton
Funkyfish and Muck - 4 lbs confirmed to be shipped combined

3) SHIPPING: I will ship but read the following because I will not waver from it and please do not PM to make exceptions.

- you will need to pay your share of the initial shipping cost, box charges, paperwork costs. In addition to your shipping cost.
- I will only ship via Canada Post but you decide if you want Prioirty Courier or Xpresspost or regular. Whatever you decide is what I will use but its at your own risk whichever method you choose (keeping in mind of the tempatures we have been experiencing)
- only the amount set aside for you will be shipped to you. I know its more worthwhile to ship more to get your money's worth but with this being a donation, the amount set aside is only fair to all. Unfortunately your 1-2 lbs of seaweed might be costing you quite a bit of $ to be shipped Priority.
- I will send everybody who requires re-shipping a PM to confirm if you are still interested. If you give up your share, that amount will be offered to the first person in line to post and until their initial desired amount is fulfilled IE if Joe Blow in Alberta is entitled to 2 lbs and he gives it up, the 2 lbs will go to Chin Lee to get his 5 lbs that he initially wanted. Then Ruth will get the next three lbs and OACalgary will get the next 8 lbs etc etc etc.

4) PICK UP - Since I don't have the room to store 30 lbs of gracilaria in my tank,
- EVERYBODY MUST PICK UP THEIR ALGAE ON THE EVENING OF WEDNESDAY AUGUST 9nd or EVENING OF THURSDAY AUGUST 10th.
- NO EXCEPTIONS.
- All of you, please PM me by Monday August 7th indicating which day and time you will be coming by to pick up your algae.
- if I don't get a PM from you by Monday August 7, I will send you a a friendly PM reminder on Tuesday August 8 for an answer. If there is no response by Wednesday, I will assume you have forfeited your portion and will be re-distributed in the manner as discussed previously.
- By Tuesday August 8, you will all get a PM from me advising of the shared cost per pound. The amount WILL be rounded up to the nearest dollar IE $7.01 will be rounded to $8.00 because a $0.99 tip is really not too much to ask for and its a lot easier to deal with than to deal with pennies and dimes.
- PLEASE BRING EXACT CHANGE. Otherwise, if I don't have change, I will take this opporunity to thank you in advance for the tip.
- if you cannot make it on either one of those days, set it up with another person on the list to pick it up for you. Then send me a PM of who it is. Work it out amongst yourselves and don't ask me to intervene because I will forget and somebody will inevitably get upset.
- I will not hold it for anybody because I cannot. My sump will be filled as it already is.

IN SUMMARY:

LOCALS
Send me a PM by August 7 advising me of which day you will be picking up your algae. I will accept $ (exact change) or cheque

OUT OF TOWNERS
Send me a PM with the following information:
1) Prioirty Courier or Xpresspost or Regular
2) Mailing address
You will get a final bill after I ship at which point you can mail me a cheque.

Thank you everybody for your patience and understanding. I will keep you all posted.

Ruth
07-25-2006, 10:59 PM
Chin - thanks so much for organizing this as well as to the generous folks that are donating the algea.
If it makes it easier for you to ship mine to Psyire I can arrange to pick it up from him in Grande Prairie (at least I think I can without talking to you Craig). It will cut down on having to get another box and shipping to a different address - your call though, just let me know.

muck
07-25-2006, 11:25 PM
Thanks a bunch Chin. Also a big thanks to the crew for donating the algae!!

Ruth, If you will be in E-Town sometime after the ship date I could hold it for you as well. :biggrin:

marie
07-26-2006, 12:56 AM
Thanks Chin, more importantly Brad Pitt thanks you :lol:

Meet Brad Pitt
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/mariesnell/2005_0302quarantine0009.jpg

BTW this fish is your fault, I bought him after I saw yours :razz:

Funky_Fish14
07-26-2006, 01:44 AM
Marie, that looks like an achilles/gold-rim hybrid? I have read of such occurences on university papers, and apparently it is not uncommon.

Gourgeous fish nonetheless! I love both of those species myself!

GMGQ
07-26-2006, 01:53 AM
Awesome! Thanks a lot, Chin! PM coming your way.

Chin_Lee
07-26-2006, 02:03 AM
Chin - thanks so much for organizing this as well as to the generous folks that are donating the algea.
If it makes it easier for you to ship mine to Psyire I can arrange to pick it up from him in Grande Prairie (at least I think I can without talking to you Craig). It will cut down on having to get another box and shipping to a different address - your call though, just let me know.

it doesnt' matter with me either way. let me know what you decide and I'll do it

Ruth
07-26-2006, 05:18 AM
Well if it doesn't matter to you then I would definately prefer to have you send it to me direct and save me a 5 hour round trip drive - but I can do that if it's easier for you.

Willow
07-26-2006, 05:23 AM
If it's not alot I might be able to hold it in my tank until you come to vancouver... too.\

-Xtasia

Psyire
07-26-2006, 06:47 AM
Either way works for me Ruth/Chin. Your call.

Chin_Lee
07-26-2006, 03:46 PM
Marie thats a beautiful fish - thats pretty cool if its a hybrid. Hopefully the genetics are strong on that hybrid.
I can't believe I am doing all this work for this baby:
http://www.canreef.com/ftotm/mar06/tnachilles.jpg

I hope its going to eat the gracilaria :surprise:

Ruth - save yourself the 5 hour drive

marie
07-26-2006, 09:47 PM
I didn't buy this fish as a hybrid and after checking, hybrids don't appear to have the orange teardrop on the butt :biggrin: .

christyf5
07-26-2006, 09:52 PM
Damn, Brad Pitt is hot as a fish too! :wink:

Cool looking fish Marie :biggrin:

Funky_Fish14
07-26-2006, 11:30 PM
Well, it very well may be a full-blown achilles, and I might just be nuts! :razz: but I did recall seeing a couple pictures of hybrids with the orange spot(indicating achilles genetics were stronger in that specimen). I guess just the seemingly more brown portion on the front of yours and the dorsal and anal fins looking a little different than most achillies i've seen is what gave me the thought.

As Christy and Chin said though, beautiful fish!

Chris

Willow
08-04-2006, 06:45 AM
any word on the order chin?

Chad
08-04-2006, 08:28 AM
ya, I never got any PM on how much to pay etc etc.. as someone else was going to pick up and store for me.

skylord
08-10-2006, 01:25 AM
Thanks Chin Lee for all your efforts in this group buy. I placed a little in the tank to tease my fish and the Hippo and scribbled rabbitfish went right after it. Now to see if we can get the stuff to grow.

BTW....the smile I got from your daughter was worth the drive...what a cute little girl you have.

Rikko
08-10-2006, 03:37 AM
Thanks Chin! That's a pretty big pound but so far everybody loves it!
I think my regal is pretty much stuffed and is practically dragging himself after what's still floating around (between the chaeto and halimeda, there's no room left in the sump!).
It's pretty fun stuff. I got to smell it for half an hour waiting for the tow truck to pick up my stalled car :(

Chin_Lee
08-10-2006, 06:17 AM
I put a clump of algae for my achilles to eat and he literally attacked the algae...... his belly has never been bigger since i've had him.

I hope everyone enjoys their algae. Read the links on the first post of this group buy tread on how to grow this stuff. Keep it growing as a renewing source of food for our pets.
cheers

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-10-2006, 07:21 AM
Huge thanks Chin for organizing this group order & doing all that leg work.

Anthony

muck
08-10-2006, 04:10 PM
Got the package Chin.
Everything looks and smells good so far. (Haven't opened the actually algae bags yet.)

P.S. Thanks for the lovely bonus bag of ice water. :mrgreen:

aussiefishy
08-10-2006, 04:23 PM
I would like to take this oppotunity to thank Chin for all his hardwork to bring us fishaddicts the fine "Herbs" haha.

see you in Vancouver Chin!

thank you,

Eric

Funky_Fish14
08-10-2006, 07:03 PM
Well, im out of town for this, but Ryan(muck) has my algae. Thanks alot Chin for organizing all this! Cant wait to try this stuff out!

Chris

Chad
08-10-2006, 09:12 PM
Yes, thanks Chin again for the great work! :)

So far my rabbit fish hasn't shown interest.. lets hope he gets with the program! :)

GMGQ
08-11-2006, 12:56 AM
My hippo hasnt shown much interest either so far. But at least this stuff doubles as a nutrient export.

Speaking of which, what lights are you guys using in your refugiums for this stuff? I have been using a blue spot plant light for my chaeto (I've been experimenting with different bulbs), but yesterday after I got so much tang heaven, I went to HD and picked up a dual socket light and now I'm using 2 x Philips Daylight CF bulbs.

Yes, thanks Chin again for the great work! :)

So far my rabbit fish hasn't shown interest.. lets hope he gets with the program! :)

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-11-2006, 01:36 AM
Phillips Daylight 27w CFL bulbs. They're cheaper at London Drugs btw, although not every LD has them.

Anthony

GMGQ
08-11-2006, 02:08 AM
How far from the water surface do you have them? Are you using a reflector with them? Just 1? Or 2?

Phillips Daylight 27w CFL bulbs. They're cheaper at London Drugs btw, although not every LD has them.

Anthony

Psyire
08-11-2006, 04:21 AM
GMGQ; Would you happen to have a picture or link for that Dual Socket light?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-11-2006, 04:32 AM
I bought some cheap clip-on desk lamps. One lamp per fuge (20g volume) section.

Willow
08-11-2006, 07:39 AM
thanks chin, the yellow tang gorged himself tonight :mrgreen:

GMGQ
08-11-2006, 04:08 PM
It's basically like this motion sensing kind, but without the motion senstion part, and each socket is not wired up. I had an extra 6ft extension chord that I never wired up, so I just unplugged each socket, added some additional wiring (so I could hang them separately over the 2 sections where the macro is) and soldiered the wires in the sockets together, then soldered that to the extension chord leads. It's in the electrical aisle where the light switches and wall sockets are at HD.

http://www.buylightfixtures.com/ProductImages/MDK-White.gif

I had some extra floodlight shrouds that I had removed from my motion sensing floodlight outside (because the floodlight bulbs that I recently changed too were too big to fit with the shroud on). So I put the shrouds on these new sockets, which is perfect to reflect the CF bulb light downward.

I had a single socket bulb before, and I thought about just getting a second one, but that would mean I'd need 2 plugs, and I dont have any to spare on that timer. So getting a dual one and wiring it up myself allows me to use 1 plug on the same timer as my moonlights.

GMGQ; Would you happen to have a picture or link for that Dual Socket light?

Psyire
08-11-2006, 04:10 PM
GMGQ, thanks for the info.

Delphinus
08-13-2006, 06:09 PM
So how are you guys doing, the ones with fish who didn't like it initially? Have they "come around" yet?

I got a little bit of it from one of the Calgary buyers, but my tang (Z. desjardini) hasn't touched a lick of it in 3 days. :( He ordinarily attacks food with gusto, so when he snubs a food, it's kinda surprising...

GMGQ
08-13-2006, 07:15 PM
My hippo still just pecks at it out of curiosity, not really wolfing it down at all. I'm holding back on the nori for a little while to see if he'll come around. But I think he knows he'll get mysis every other day anyways....

So how are you guys doing, the ones with fish who didn't like it initially? Have they "come around" yet?

I got a little bit of it from one of the Calgary buyers, but my tang (Z. desjardini) hasn't touched a lick of it in 3 days. :( He ordinarily attacks food with gusto, so when he snubs a food, it's kinda surprising...

Rikko
08-15-2006, 03:31 AM
I threw about 1/4lb into my display, thinking it would sit around for a while like the big lumps of chaeto and halimeda I sometimes throw in do.
I can't find a shred of it after 4 days.
My long spine urchin probably did a number on it, but I see a pretty big gut on my normally-skinny yellow tang. My scopas looks a little plumper than usual, too.

Psyire
08-15-2006, 05:47 AM
My three tangs (Purple, RS Sailfin, Atlantic Blue) and my 2 Rabbitfish all devour this stuff. They were a little leary at first, but after a couple days they are eating it like candy.

GMGQ
08-17-2006, 04:57 AM
So my hippo tang has gone beyond the original curiosity pecks at this stuff. Now when I put some in, it gets more excited.

It still doesnt wolf it down like a pig, but it pecks at the clump more frequently. It will eat the smaller loose bits right away.

This is a good sign!

Fish Breath
08-28-2006, 12:19 AM
I'm not much of a reefer infact I only have fresh water but I do follow the forum a little bit. I think eveyone one who has thanked Chin should also personaly send a thank you email to the supplyer and or a group email directly to the supplyer. Not often you would get a donation from someone whos sells and could make a profit off the product
Just a thought